Page 187 of 306 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237287 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 187

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    hi PB! this is interesting as i feel best eating an almost carnivorous diet. i just try to eat veggies coz i am sposed to and i keep thinking minerals. if you think about them, most of them are highly cultivated in the sense our paleo ancestors wouldnt have had access to copius amounts of nice mesclun quality green leafies etc. i did read somewhere they used to eat the stomach contents of the reindeer as that was the only way they could digest the lichen as it was predigested. prob with a good dose of beneficial bacteria thrown in too. i know my dog will eat green tripe and the dung of herbivores but give him that k9 raw dog food with veges in and he will go on hunger strike. quite intriguing about how sea veges and 'shrooms are seen as ok as i love them. and avocados. the rest i have to work on eating as i dont really dislike them, i just dont feel that enthusiastic iykwim. my dairy i would struggle to give up but i can hone it down to just the cream in the coffee and the odd bit of fatty cheese.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Zoebird on this, if it works for you go with it, if not just make an adjustment. Personally I monitor how I feel during workouts, sleep patterns, energy level, sex drive etc and adjust my diet macros accordingly. Currently I'm finding that adding a great salad, some cooked vegetables and fruit a couple of times a week works best for me. It also helps that I love the taste and variety they add.
    Last edited by canuck416; 12-28-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Whatever works for you. I love vegetables far too much to go full carny: every season is like Christmas, a whole bunch of new presents to open and taste fresh. When I plan my weekly menus, or vaguely outline them, I think proteins and vegetables, and can't separate them out so much as think of ways to combine them.

But if you're eating quality meats and your "additive" veggies, that's the beauty of the Primal WOE, right? You make it your own? I just enjoy diversity too much, I suppose. But you also are striving for VLC, and I only cycle LC eating.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I think it would be crazy for me to try it because I love my plant foods and feel best when I eat lots of them, but I think you have a different body and different needs, so what is crazy for me might be totally reasonable for you. It seems like it could be a good experiment for you because you're not going to try to live on muscle meats alone--you know well enough to include all the odd bits so you get the nutrients you need--and you're also the kind of person who pays attention to how her body feels, so if it's not working, then you'll adjust it or go back to what worked better.

I look forward to reading about your experience!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Welp, if it doesn't go well, you start eating veggies again, right? Ditto to what Owly said.

Personally, I like my fruits, starches, and some veg. Though with veg, I usually only like it when drowned in fat & salt. Raw stuff can go to hell.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    hi PB! this is interesting as i feel best eating an almost carnivorous diet. i just try to eat veggies coz i am sposed to and i keep thinking minerals. if you think about them, most of them are highly cultivated in the sense our paleo ancestors wouldnt have had access to copius amounts of nice mesclun quality green leafies etc.my dairy i would struggle to give up but i can hone it down to just the cream in the coffee and the odd bit of fatty cheese.
    Yep, "supposed to" in the same way that we a re supposed to have multiple servings of grain daily. And I am not giving my dairy. The carnivorous blogosphere is like the paleo bunch. Lots of internal disagreement on the finer points.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    I agree with Zoebird on this, if it works for you go with it, if not just make an adjustment. Personally I monitor how I feel during workouts, sleep patterns, energy level, sex drive etc and adjust my diet macros accordingly. Currently I'm finding that adding a great salad, some cooked vegetables and fruit a couple of times a week works best for me. It also helps that I love the taste and variety they add.
    I feel best in ketosis. I see this as just a really easy way to stay there. It can be tricky to keep carbs low enough for ketosis when you are always trying to shoehorn more veggies in because you are "supposed to".

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Whatever works for you. I love vegetables far too much to go full carny: every season is like Christmas, a whole bunch of new presents to open and taste fresh. When I plan my weekly menus, or vaguely outline them, I think proteins and vegetables, and can't separate them out so much as think of ways to combine them.

But if you're eating quality meats and your "additive" veggies, that's the beauty of the Primal WOE, right? You make it your own? I just enjoy diversity too much, I suppose. But you also are striving for VLC, and I only cycle LC eating.
    I would have said the same thing a few months back. You can see all the pretty pictures of my BASs in my journal. A lot of it for me is just getting my head around how much social conditioning is involved in health conscious people professing to "love" their veggies. I'm not saying that individual tastes don't vary, but, in myself, I came to realize that I was "supposed to" love my veggies so I did. I *made* them tasty with all kinds of seasonings and sauces. Would they really be as appetizing on their own?

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I think it would be crazy for me to try it because I love my plant foods and feel best when I eat lots of them, but I think you have a different body and different needs, so what is crazy for me might be totally reasonable for you. It seems like it could be a good experiment for you because you're not going to try to live on muscle meats alone--you know well enough to include all the odd bits so you get the nutrients you need--and you're also the kind of person who pays attention to how her body feels, so if it's not working, then you'll adjust it or go back to what worked better.

I look forward to reading about your experience!
    Yes, I will definitely be eating odd bits. (There is one really wingnut faction of ZC that says that there are too many carbs in liver. That is taking it too far.) I am using up the veggies I have in stock and not buying any more so my intake is going down gradually but already my digestive system is much happier without all that cellulose. I really think the book Fiber Menace has some good points.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Welp, if it doesn't go well, you start eating veggies again, right? Ditto to what Owly said.
    Personally, I like my fruits, starches, and some veg. Though with veg, I usually only like it when drowned in fat & salt. Raw stuff can go to hell.
    If you have to slather it with fat and salt.........
    The ZC folks' contention is that if you really stay with just animal products, you will lose your cravings for things like starch and fruit.
    I don't really like starch but I do like fruit. I can see that being a seasonal thing like doing a strawberry pig out in summertime and then not having any more for a year.

Don't even get me started on the raw carnivore bunch. They are seriously out to lunch.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I hope you are out having a fun new year.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I hope you are out having a fun new year.
    Hi Zoe, thanks. My net connection has been off for a couple of days. It's been kind of a nice net-break.

Happy New Year to all.

Paleobird Guest
    Today I got my Dad's life insurance check. I didn't even know there was a policy. I knew there was one way back when I was a kid but, at some point after my Mom passed away, Dad must have put my name on the policy as beneficiary because the check was made out to me. It was a policy through his work so when I notified them to stop his pension benefits, the insurance process must have kicked in but, if they had never sent it to me, I would never have known the difference.

It's like he is continuing to take care of me even now. Thanks, Dad.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    *hugs*
    your dad. he was a good un.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.