Page 183 of 306 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193233283 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 183

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Sometimes I think I could live on ground beef (or bison), stinky cheeses, and various fishies. Salmon baked or as lox is a staple. Sashimi/sushi. Almost anything slimy on a half shell, though oysters are my fave that way. Squid is also a staple. My one life-long dislike from the sea is scallops. *shudder* Don't know why, but even as a kid, I'd pick them out of my grandmother's stuffed clam shells (various shellfish chopped up with bread crumbs, eggs, parmesan, etc., then baked/broiled).

Seasons must make a difference. I haven't been in the mood for fruit lately, but when I saw persimmons yesterday, I bought one. Turns out they're in season. It should be ripe by this afternoon. (Drooling)
    I love scallops but am not really fond of muscles and yes, oysters are the best.

It seems the carnivorous community is really big on sea veggies and mushrooms since they don't consider these to technically be plants (algae and fungi I guess). I think I would be fine with just those plus a few "condiment" type veggies like tomatoes, garlic, onions, etc. I wouldn't feel deprived if I never ate broccoli again.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    So glad to lodge the immigration application tomorrow! Got the FBI paperwork, and we have everything else that we need as well. It's so exciting!

They say that about 60% get approval "within 90 days" -- and we have 70 days until our visa runs out, so hopefully they'll pay attention to our deadlines. But who knows?

In any case, I am making sure we have everything that we need, photocopying it, and then going to submit Friday morning just before the office closes for christmas. Yay! I did make at least one of my deadlines.

DH's naturopath has now put us on juicing. We have to have a green juice every day. It needs to have: lemon, ginger, parsley (or coriander or mint), kale, and any other green veg we want (bok choy, beet greens, etc) plus a choice of green apple, carrot, or beet.

I'm not amused. But, ok. Juicers are expensive.

Our work group had a small holiday gathering (muffins and bagels, low-fat cream cheese, fruit juices) the other day. Subject turned to food and out of a group of ~15 I was the only one who liked sushi, or oysters.

My favorite way to start a meal is a dozen or two raw oysters. Just made a deconstructed poboy last night, fried oysters served on top of a tangy-creamy slaw with cilantro and lime juice.

Scallops... maybe you just had poor quality or overcooked? It's really easy to cook them into rubber. Most of them are shipped frozen and unless you really get the excess water out, they just steam into a chewy mess. We went to Portland, Maine last year and ate at a place bayside that served enormous raw scallops that were sweet as summer corn. Just awesome.

And when I find a sushi place with good sea urchin, I'm a happy feller.

Edit: I also love mussels, but don't use them as much since Mrs. FW likes them less than other shellfish. I think they are creamy and delicate and wonderful. Smoked mussels are delish, a clever add-in to different dishes when you want to interject a nice surprise.
    Last edited by Finnegans Wake; 12-19-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I adore scallops. And mussels steamed with wine? Heavenly.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

NZ has all of these great things. So, yeah, it's pretty close to heaven for a lot of people.

God, so much printing. Also, can't find DS's birth certificate. I'm going to lodge the application anyway, give another look this weekend, and order another copy anyway. Should be here by the time offices open again.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    So glad to lodge the immigration application tomorrow! Got the FBI paperwork, and we have everything else that we need as well. It's so exciting!

DH's naturopath has now put us on juicing. We have to have a green juice every day. It needs to have: lemon, ginger, parsley (or coriander or mint), kale, and any other green veg we want (bok choy, beet greens, etc) plus a choice of green apple, carrot, or beet.
    I'm not amused. But, ok. Juicers are expensive.
    Why is the FBI involved? I have a really nice Jack LaLaine juicer but I never use it since i got my vitamix.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Our work group had a small holiday gathering (muffins and bagels, low-fat cream cheese, fruit juices) the other day. Subject turned to food and out of a group of ~15 I was the only one who liked sushi, or oysters.

My favorite way to start a meal is a dozen or two raw oysters. Just made a deconstructed poboy last night, fried oysters served on top of a tangy-creamy slaw with cilantro and lime juice.

Scallops... maybe you just had poor quality or overcooked? It's really easy to cook them into rubber. Most of them are shipped frozen and unless you really get the excess water out, they just steam into a chewy mess. We went to Portland, Maine last year and ate at a place bayside that served enormous raw scallops that were sweet as summer corn. Just awesome.

And when I find a sushi place with good sea urchin, I'm a happy feller.

Edit: I also love mussels, but don't use them as much since Mrs. FW likes them less than other shellfish. I think they are creamy and delicate and wonderful. Smoked mussels are delish, a clever add-in to different dishes when you want to interject a nice surprise.
    You would love my local farmers market. There is a booth where they do freshly shucked oysters and sea urchin. So good. Yes, it is very easy to overcook scallops. I find I want to have everybody sitting down at the table before i put them on the flame otherwise they get rubber bandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I adore scallops. And mussels steamed with wine? Heavenly.
    Mussels are the same way, really great or really awful depending on the cooking.

NZ has all of these great things. So, yeah, it's pretty close to heaven for a lot of people.
    Ya, I can't imagine living on an island and not liking seafood.

FBI does background checks for immigration paperwork. They are part of the character evaluation we have to do.

I have so much paperwork. So we do our identity (passports, birth certificates, SS#s plus relationships -- father, mother, siblings, and their locations and ages), our partnership (marriage licenses, letter from our landlord saying that we live together as a married couple, pictures of us out and about with people together and with DS), our health (major health screenings), character (affidavit saying we are cool, letters of reference, plus the FBI report). Then we get into the business which is about the company (business name, how it's incorporated, location, financial records, tax returns, lease), then about the company in terms of our visa (original business plan, current status related to that business plan and on-going plans, evidence of how we executed each aspect of the plan, which includes analytics of numbers of clients per week, how many practitioners we have, how we use each room, letters from clients, landlord, etc verifying, plus our press and marketing).

It's about 6 inches thick, I think, all in all.

Paleobird Guest
    FBI does background checks for immigration paperwork. They are part of the character evaluation we have to do.

I have so much paperwork. So we do our identity (passports, birth certificates, SS#s plus relationships -- father, mother, siblings, and their locations and ages), our partnership (marriage licenses, letter from our landlord saying that we live together as a married couple, pictures of us out and about with people together and with DS), our health (major health screenings), character (affidavit saying we are cool, letters of reference, plus the FBI report). Then we get into the business which is about the company (business name, how it's incorporated, location, financial records, tax returns, lease), then about the company in terms of our visa (original business plan, current status related to that business plan and on-going plans, evidence of how we executed each aspect of the plan, which includes analytics of numbers of clients per week, how many practitioners we have, how we use each room, letters from clients, landlord, etc verifying, plus our press and marketing).

It's about 6 inches thick, I think, all in all.
    Goodness. That sound like a lot of bureaucratic hoops.

Yes, but it's worth it.

And, the nice thing is that -- even if it's not food that I like -- if the rest of the world goes to the doodoos (as they say here), then there's plenty of food to be had. Lots of fish and shellfish and fresh spring water, plus also lots of foraging to be done as welll (lots and lots of good green stuff). And, then there are the tubers. So, we would be ok. And, the country is largely agricultural and creates a lot of food on it's own through it's years and years of farming, so we would be good on veg.

So, you know, bonus.

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Yes, but it's worth it.

And, the nice thing is that -- even if it's not food that I like -- if the rest of the world goes to the doodoos (as they say here), then there's plenty of food to be had. Lots of fish and shellfish and fresh spring water, plus also lots of foraging to be done as welll (lots and lots of good green stuff). And, then there are the tubers. So, we would be ok. And, the country is largely agricultural and creates a lot of food on it's own through it's years and years of farming, so we would be good on veg.

So, you know, bonus.
    That's what matters.

The limiting factor where I live for rugged survival purposes would be water. SoCal is a dessert that only works because of piped and channeled in water.