Page 182 of 306 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232282 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 182

Shop Now
    I love kale also. Prefer its flavor to spinach, texture too. It doesn't have some of the bitter tang of mustard greens or turnip greens, but it's my go-to green. I like to cook it with olive oil and simple seasonings, or with a nice splash of heavy cream: the kale doesn't give up the ghost quite the way spinach turns all tissue-y, so it softens but retains its character. The fats, besides being tasty, also aid with delivery of vitamins A, E, and K. So it's a win-win. Sometimes a little white wine finds its way into the creamed kale, which adds a little sweetness.

I do sometimes eat it uncooked, but find that it's better if it's been lightly salted to help it wilt a bit.

Kale chips are easy to make, just make sure to go light on the salt and have the leaves very dry or they won't crisp.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Nope, still like it.
    But yes, not many salad cravings in winter for me. However, so far today I've destroyed a banana, an orange, and a pomegranate, all before noon. Lunch is underway, with a whole tomato in my omelette. It's a fruit kind of day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I love kale also. Prefer its flavor to spinach, texture too. It doesn't have some of the bitter tang of mustard greens or turnip greens, but it's my go-to green. I like to cook it with olive oil and simple seasonings, or with a nice splash of heavy cream: the kale doesn't give up the ghost quite the way spinach turns all tissue-y, so it softens but retains its character. The fats, besides being tasty, also aid with delivery of vitamins A, E, and K. So it's a win-win. Sometimes a little white wine finds its way into the creamed kale, which adds a little sweetness.
    I do sometimes eat it uncooked, but find that it's better if it's been lightly salted to help it wilt a bit.
    Kale chips are easy to make, just make sure to go light on the salt and have the leaves very dry or they won't crisp.
    OK, I guess I'm just weird. You all can have all the kale I am no longer going to be buying for the rest of my life. <Here!>

Owly, I know what you mean about certain days just getting into one thing or another. The freeing thing about this is getting past the notion that every meal has to be "balanced". Sometimes I just want a salad and sometimes I just want a steak.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I figure my severe lack of love for seafood leaves more for those who love it.

being of viking stock, technically, i should be loving on the seafood, but not really. LOL

Paleobird Guest
    Well, I'm part Native American and I do love me a good bison steak. But I don't know how much ancestry has to do with it. Most of us are such mutts anyway.

I had two lamb shoulder chops for dinner after a day of just coffee and coconut cream. Tomorrow I'm going to make some slow cooker chile. It's been really cold and rainy the past few days and somehow the meat just seem right for the weather to me.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    *passes bowl of kale chips*

It must be something in what the body needs. Greens taste fantastic to me, and my shopping cart is usually about 50% produce. More evidence that the natural human diet includes a lot of variation.

As for seafood, I like it but it's expensive for decent stuff here. I buy it mostly frozen because the "fresh" stuff at the fish counter is often previously frozen anyhow, and the quality can be questionable. I'd rather have flash-frozen salmon than some that smells "off" (which is usually safe to eat but smells icky to me). A lot of people in my part of the world hate fish, and I think it's often because they've never eaten good quality fish, just the stuff that's been shipped here from the coast and sat too long. When I lived in Vancouver, I ate seafood a lot more than I do now. Well, except shrimp, which make me ill.

Whenever we travel anywhere coastal now, we definitely binge. My partner served in the navy and got used to having good seafood all the time. Our last trip to Mexico was a festival of ceviche and fish tacos (I make an exception for real handmade corn tortillas, and they don't bread the fish in the Yucatan).
    Visited Vancouver in May/June and enjoyed fresh off the boat red spot shrimp. A revelation
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    Kale: if everyone liked it, there wouldn't be enough to go around. This is also why I never try to convince people that they MUST love sashimi.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Kale: if everyone liked it, there wouldn't be enough to go around. This is also why I never try to convince people that they MUST love sashimi.
    Kale makes a lovely decorative border around the sushi/sashimi display area at the buffet though. IMO, that is its true purpose in life.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird - just to butt in - sorry.
    I wanted to wish you a wonderful Christmas and New Year. You have had such a full, busy year and I hope that you can take some time for you over this feastive season.
    Yes I know I am early, but we get to celebrate christmas over here a little earlier than you guys.....and the big day is coming round tooooo quickly - so just thought that i would pop in, so I didn't forget !!!!!
    Take care and I so hope that 2013 is a great year for you.
    G x
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I think I could live on ground beef (or bison), stinky cheeses, and various fishies. Salmon baked or as lox is a staple. Sashimi/sushi. Almost anything slimy on a half shell, though oysters are my fave that way. Squid is also a staple. My one life-long dislike from the sea is scallops. *shudder* Don't know why, but even as a kid, I'd pick them out of my grandmother's stuffed clam shells (various shellfish chopped up with bread crumbs, eggs, parmesan, etc., then baked/broiled).

Seasons must make a difference. I haven't been in the mood for fruit lately, but when I saw persimmons yesterday, I bought one. Turns out they're in season. It should be ripe by this afternoon. (Drooling)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Paleobird - just to butt in - sorry.
    I wanted to wish you a wonderful Christmas and New Year. You have had such a full, busy year and I hope that you can take some time for you over this feastive season.
    Yes I know I am early, but we get to celebrate christmas over here a little earlier than you guys.....and the big day is coming round tooooo quickly - so just thought that i would pop in, so I didn't forget !!!!!
    Take care and I so hope that 2013 is a great year for you.
    G x
    Aww, Gwamma. You're not butting in to anything. You are welcome on my journal anytime. Thank you for the holiday wishes and the same back atcha! Actually, I celebrate the Solstice which is the day after tomorrow so you are not that far ahead.