Page 181 of 306 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231281 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 181

  1. #1801
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymma View Post
    I really think I have hit on my issue with the info from the eat moar fat thread. I am eating too much protein and that is why my weight loss is basically stalled. And to think, I was thinking maybe I wasn't eating enough veggies. I eat no fruit, and don't crave veggies much. I don't really crave much of anything. So I am reducing my protein, keeping my fat and carb intake steady and will see how that does.

    One thing I have noticed is twinges of nausea. Especially in the morning, which has been leading me away from eating breakfast. I think that is one of the ketosis side effects. I have taken 2 preggo tests and it is not that. But to be honest, I was sick all the time in one way or another from CW/SAD Diet, so I'll live if it makes me healthier and less fat.

    Thanks to all of you ladies for leading the way.
    If you choose fattier cuts of meat, you will pretty much end up with the right proportion of fat and protein by calories. If you are going for the skinless chicken boobs, it is easy to overdo the protein and be really lacking on the fat.

    There is no reason to eat breakfast if you don't feel like it. Don't eat until you seriously feel hungry. I think this will take care of a lot of the nausea issues.

  2. #1802
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Sounds lovely, though I have to admit I didn't know octopus came in tins. Now I have to look for them. I rock squid, but have never cooked up octopus that didn't end up with the consistency of pickled pig feet. (ew)

    When I was a baby, if my mom left my high chair too close to the kitchen table, I'd grab the stick of butter and start gnawing on it. She said I smiled and laughed when I did it so she didn't have the heart to take it away too fast. As a child, (though I was basically an angel ) I adamently resisted eating veggies until my mom covered them in something fatty. Cheese, butter, even sauteed in olive oil and bread crumbs (she did green beans that way).

    So, now I indulge my inner child/baby. I agree with all your veggie choices, Paleobird, except I do like potatoes and other roots and squash-family type stuff. And kale, if I didn't know better, I'd think it was Mother Nature's way of saying, "See, even I make mistakes."

    More importantly, I only recently learned of your loss and wanted to extend my sincere condolences.
    The brand of octopus I buy is Reese and it comes packed in nothing but olive oil and a bit of salt.

    I used to sneak butter snacks too as a kid. It feels good to indulge that inner kid again. My Mom was a good cook and managed to make veggies palatable with lots of butter and seasonings and cheese, etc. but now I say pass the butter and cheese and hold the broccoli.

    Squash is good especially the winter squashes like butternut (with a name like that it has to be good.) Some root veggies are pretty good like parsnips when you add lots of coconut oil. Plain though?

    That's funny about kale. It's bitter, tough, and scratchy. I can't imagine the Grok family eating that stuff unless they were facing starvation.

    Thank you for the condolences, Joanie. Everyone here has been very supportive through this difficult time in my life and it has helped a lot.

  3. #1803
    peril's Avatar
    peril is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    2,680
    Octopus, mmmmmm! Have 6 or 7 (4.5kg, about 10lb) in the freezer at the moment for cooking up on the weekend for the Xmas masses. Greek style boiled octopus (cooked very slowly in own juices for 2-3hrs, add red wine, vinegar, oregano, sugar, salt, pepper and cook for another hour, strip skin, cut into pieces and marinate in the strained juices and EVOO). Everybody loves this, even my wife's Greek relatives
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

    Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

  4. #1804
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,089
    hoy! you know me and I can't do the seafoods. The idea of octopus sets me on edge, and tinned on top of that is freaking me right out. I'll just eat MOAR eggs. LOL

    It's really interesting to do all of this analysis now and again -- just to see what is working and what isn't and so on and so forth. I don't think I can stuff more fat into my diet, and I have tried. I find it just isn't pleasurable. I like having pleasurable experiences with food!

    Right now we are going off caffeine and sugar (dark chocolate) which we are subbing for our own home-made coconut-oil fudge. DH *wants* it, though I'm not really eating a lot of chocolate these days. I figure that we can really manage the sugar in it -- and while I know that honey = sugar I also know that it has medicinal and health properties, and I can slowly decrease the amount until it's right for us. We already eat dark chocolate -- the highest here is only 72%! -- but we were used to 80-90% in the US. So, I'm sure I can calibrate it up to that point and it'll just be the most basic stuff. A friend of mine orders this stuff from a chocolate place in Masterton -- the cocoa powder that is completely unsweetened -- and she says it's good just "as is" (add hot milk, for example), and so we are looking ato working our way to that *if* we decide that we want chocolate.

    Why?

    DH was having all kinds of physiological stuff from the caffeine (he's been drinking a lot of coffee lately), so I'm finishing out the black teas that we have, and then I'll move to roiboos and peppermint. I currently do one black per day, and the rest are red/peppermint, and I have restricted myself to three cups (so it goes red, black, peppermint). It works nicely so far.

    It's an itneresting tweak for us.

  5. #1805
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Octopus, mmmmmm! Have 6 or 7 (4.5kg, about 10lb) in the freezer at the moment for cooking up on the weekend for the Xmas masses. Greek style boiled octopus (cooked very slowly in own juices for 2-3hrs, add red wine, vinegar, oregano, sugar, salt, pepper and cook for another hour, strip skin, cut into pieces and marinate in the strained juices and EVOO). Everybody loves this, even my wife's Greek relatives
    Oh, sluuuuurp. That sounds so good I just drooled on the keyboard.

    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    hoy! you know me and I can't do the seafoods. The idea of octopus sets me on edge, and tinned on top of that is freaking me right out. I'll just eat MOAR eggs. LOL

    It's really interesting to do all of this analysis now and again -- just to see what is working and what isn't and so on and so forth. I don't think I can stuff more fat into my diet, and I have tried. I find it just isn't pleasurable. I like having pleasurable experiences with food!

    Right now we are going off caffeine and sugar (dark chocolate) which we are subbing for our own home-made coconut-oil fudge. DH *wants* it, though I'm not really eating a lot of chocolate these days. I figure that we can really manage the sugar in it -- and while I know that honey = sugar I also know that it has medicinal and health properties, and I can slowly decrease the amount until it's right for us. We already eat dark chocolate -- the highest here is only 72%! -- but we were used to 80-90% in the US. So, I'm sure I can calibrate it up to that point and it'll just be the most basic stuff. A friend of mine orders this stuff from a chocolate place in Masterton -- the cocoa powder that is completely unsweetened -- and she says it's good just "as is" (add hot milk, for example), and so we are looking ato working our way to that *if* we decide that we want chocolate.

    Why?

    DH was having all kinds of physiological stuff from the caffeine (he's been drinking a lot of coffee lately), so I'm finishing out the black teas that we have, and then I'll move to roiboos and peppermint. I currently do one black per day, and the rest are red/peppermint, and I have restricted myself to three cups (so it goes red, black, peppermint). It works nicely so far.

    It's an itneresting tweak for us.
    I wonder how much of our preferences are conditioning and how much a chemical signal from the body for what it needs. I don't get how someone can NOT like seafood but then maybe I am descended from coastal Groks. But then I go through phases with things like eggs where I will eat half a dozen every day for a week and then not feel like eating them much for a while.

    I seem to have lost my chocolate cravings somewhere along the way. (BTW Ghiradelli sells an awesome 100% cocoa bar on their website. don't know if they ship to your neck of the woods.) Once in a while I will heat up some 1/2 thick coconut creme/ 1/2 decaf coffee with 100% cocoa powder in it and put a dash of cinnamon on top. Ketogenic mocha latte.

    Good on you for decaffeinating. I think you will find it improves everything including sleep.

    Speaking of which.............G'night.

  6. #1806
    Sabine's Avatar
    Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Dallas/Fort Worth Texas
    Posts
    5,207
    More kale for me!

  7. #1807
    Owly's Avatar
    Owly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    More kale for me!
    *passes bowl of kale chips*

    It must be something in what the body needs. Greens taste fantastic to me, and my shopping cart is usually about 50% produce. More evidence that the natural human diet includes a lot of variation.

    As for seafood, I like it but it's expensive for decent stuff here. I buy it mostly frozen because the "fresh" stuff at the fish counter is often previously frozen anyhow, and the quality can be questionable. I'd rather have flash-frozen salmon than some that smells "off" (which is usually safe to eat but smells icky to me). A lot of people in my part of the world hate fish, and I think it's often because they've never eaten good quality fish, just the stuff that's been shipped here from the coast and sat too long. When I lived in Vancouver, I ate seafood a lot more than I do now. Well, except shrimp, which make me ill.

    Whenever we travel anywhere coastal now, we definitely binge. My partner served in the navy and got used to having good seafood all the time. Our last trip to Mexico was a festival of ceviche and fish tacos (I make an exception for real handmade corn tortillas, and they don't bread the fish in the Yucatan).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

    Owly's Journal

  8. #1808
    Kymma's Avatar
    Kymma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    666
    Kale salad cut thin, with reed onions, almonds, and dried cranberries with homemade balsamic vinaigrette will change your mind about kale. Or it did mine. It is better the 2nd and 3rd day, bc the bv soaks in and makes the kale less chewy. My hubs even loves it.

  9. #1809
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    More kale for me!
    All yours, blech!

    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    *passes bowl of kale chips*

    It must be something in what the body needs. Greens taste fantastic to me, and my shopping cart is usually about 50% produce. More evidence that the natural human diet includes a lot of variation.

    As for seafood, I like it but it's expensive for decent stuff here. I buy it mostly frozen because the "fresh" stuff at the fish counter is often previously frozen anyhow, and the quality can be questionable. I'd rather have flash-frozen salmon than some that smells "off" (which is usually safe to eat but smells icky to me). A lot of people in my part of the world hate fish, and I think it's often because they've never eaten good quality fish, just the stuff that's been shipped here from the coast and sat too long. When I lived in Vancouver, I ate seafood a lot more than I do now. Well, except shrimp, which make me ill.

    Whenever we travel anywhere coastal now, we definitely binge. My partner served in the navy and got used to having good seafood all the time. Our last trip to Mexico was a festival of ceviche and fish tacos (I make an exception for real handmade corn tortillas, and they don't bread the fish in the Yucatan).
    I think there may be a seasonal aspect to the body's cravings too. Right now it is cloudy and cold and I am craving nothing but MEAT. I seem to like salads more in the summertime.

    I totally agree that bad seafood is worse than no seafood at all. I am fortunate to live where we get the good fresh stuff all year long. The best place i have found for seafood is my local asian supermarket. Nothing like a piece of sushi grade ahi or salmon. And they also sell salmon roe. I may have to break my shopping "fast" and take a trip out there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kymma View Post
    Kale salad cut thin, with reed onions, almonds, and dried cranberries with homemade balsamic vinaigrette will change your mind about kale. Or it did mine. It is better the 2nd and 3rd day, bc the bv soaks in and makes the kale less chewy. My hubs even loves it.
    Kale chips are yummy but they are mainly oil and salt delivery vehicles with enough cooking to make them crunchy instead of stringy.

    That kale salad sounds lovely but if you put enough homemade balsamic vinaigrette, cranberries, almonds and red onion on shredded cardboard, it would taste good too. No offense to your salad.

    Just try eating a plain, raw kale leaf sometime. Ewww.

  10. #1810
    Owly's Avatar
    Owly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,823
    Nope, still like it.

    But yes, not many salad cravings in winter for me. However, so far today I've destroyed a banana, an orange, and a pomegranate, all before noon. Lunch is underway, with a whole tomato in my omelette. It's a fruit kind of day.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

    Owly's Journal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •