Page 174 of 306 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 174

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Tomorrow is my Dad's memorial service.
    Thinking of you. *hugs*
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Sending love for tomorrow.

And of course living a good life is the best memorial to both your parents.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Hope your Dad has a wonderful 'bon voyage' today. Thinking of you.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Good luck; I hope you feel a good sense of closure and a celebration of a life well lived.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I have some very good memories of my Mom's memorial service; tears and laughter both. Rituals like this are fulfilling for the soul. Enjoy every moment, Robin.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Thinking of you today
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I hope that everything has gone well today.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BONZ View Post
    I remember that feeling..... Much love your way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Thinking of you. *hugs*
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Sending love for tomorrow.
    And of course living a good life is the best memorial to both your parents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Hope your Dad has a wonderful 'bon voyage' today. Thinking of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Good luck; I hope you feel a good sense of closure and a celebration of a life well lived.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I have some very good memories of my Mom's memorial service; tears and laughter both. Rituals like this are fulfilling for the soul. Enjoy every moment, Robin.
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Thinking of you today
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I hope that everything has gone well today.
    Thank you all. It was a lovely gathering. My father's oft cited reason why he didn't want a memorial service was that, when you live to an advanced age, you have outlived anybody who ever cared about you. Well, sorry Dad but you were wrong on that one. There were 15 people there today.

I had a hole pre-dug underneath the tangerine tree out in the front of his yard by the deck he built. This was the spot from which he always kept an eye on things in the neighborhood. He was like the Neighborhood Watch Committee all by himself.

So I placed the ashes in the hole and then asked each person in turn to introduce themselves and say something about their memories of Dad. Then as each person finished, they put a shovel full of dirt in the hole. In this way holding the shovel became like holding the talking stick. It was interesting to hear three generations worth of people relating their experiences having known him in different ways, as a neighbor, a co-worker, a friend of the family, etc. Really wonderful people each and every one.

For me saying goodbye to my Dad and saying goodbye to this house are all wrapped up together. It was so much a part of his identity. I think it is good that he stays here. He will always be keeping watch over the neighborhood.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I do like your Dad's style. I could really "see" him standing there, keeping watch over the neighborhood!

I'm glad that the service was so simple and lovely, healing for everyone who attended. And, the tangerine tree is going to be very happy, too!

I think it's exciting that you are on to a new chapter, and I know that (you know, in so far as I believe in continuing on) your dad would be excited and proud of you too.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That sounds perfect. I think every person deserves to have people who gather and remember them with love at the end of their life. I love the idea of the tree--we "planted" my mother's ashes under the roots of a beautiful cedar next to a trail that she loved. It's nice to think of something growing from that.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal