Page 173 of 306 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183223273 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 173

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    PB (and anyone else), here is the link to my book if you're interested. It's short and humorous--I wanted to go through the self-publishing process with something small and easy first, since I'm working on bigger, real novels and wanted to check if it was a viable way of publishing. I've made the book free to download today (Thurs) and tomorrow (Friday), so anyone who is interested in some free reading material is welcome to it. It can be read on a computer, phone, Kindle, probably some other things. Maybe it will inspire you a bit with your quest to travel again? Maybe it will make you laugh?

Nah, those are kind of lofty expectations. Maybe you won't actively hate it and seek me out just to kick me in the man-parts for wasting your time.

That's better.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I find all those potato threads are starting to get on my last nerve. Really, do we need yet another one? Some of these people have been posting on the various potato threads for a couple months now. I thought it was a short term hack, but no, apparently not.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I feel like there are kind of two types of people on the forum: encouraging/patient/want to help, and "I know everything and you're wrong". I try to be the former as much as possible. You know, unless someone's wrong.

I'm doing a week of potatoes, but it's out of curiosity and because I like personal challenges. I don't think 5 days of it is a very big deal--I just wanted to see what happens. But I also don't have weird food issues or anything. I think some of those people doing it think it's some magic solution and like to argue...
    Just like PB likes to flip the bird to CW, I think PB has been around long enough now that some people just feel the need to toss it out and just be contrarian. You are young and healthy and no, it won't hurt you a bit. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I mostly read your journal and a couple of others, and jump in here and again when something of interest comes up.

my break from MDA did well for me, and taught me to look for what I need. I spend far less time online like this than I used to. And get so much work done.
    This.

PB (and anyone else), here is the link to my book if you're interested. It's short and humorous--I wanted to go through the self-publishing process with something small and easy first, since I'm working on bigger, real novels and wanted to check if it was a viable way of publishing. I've made the book free to download today (Thurs) and tomorrow (Friday), so anyone who is interested in some free reading material is welcome to it. It can be read on a computer, phone, Kindle, probably some other things. Maybe it will inspire you a bit with your quest to travel again? Maybe it will make you laugh?

Nah, those are kind of lofty expectations. Maybe you won't actively hate it and seek me out just to kick me in the man-parts for wasting your time.

That's better.
    Thank you. I promise I will read it and give you my honest former English professor feedback.

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    It must be closet cleaning season. I just did mine too. But I do it every 3-6 months in some closet. This time I did my jewelry drawers too. Time for a few new pairs of earrings! Earrings always fit perfectly.

Moving won't be that big a pita if you keep sorting things. I have moved 18 times. Organized downsizing prior to packing helps so much. You guys are inspiring me to plan some short hikes in my area. I just need to find a hiking buddy.

I also don't understand people who have no wanderlust. I have to travel and have adventures. It makes life rich.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I find all those potato threads are starting to get on my last nerve. Really, do we need yet another one? Some of these people have been posting on the various potato threads for a couple months now. I thought it was a short term hack, but no, apparently not.
    I can only hope that they will get tired of it and it will go the way of the iodine megadosing madness, another forgotten fad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymma View Post
    It must be closet cleaning season. I just did mine too. But I do it every 3-6 months in some closet. This time I did my jewelry drawers too. Time for a few new pairs of earrings! Earrings always fit perfectly.

Moving won't be that big a pita if you keep sorting things. I have moved 18 times. Organized downsizing prior to packing helps so much. You guys are inspiring me to plan some short hikes in my area. I just need to find a hiking buddy.

I also don't understand people who have no wanderlust. I have to travel and have adventures. It makes life rich.
    Yep, I cleaned out a bunch of junk jewelry too. Since I lost weight I had a bunch of rings that got so big they fall off.

You have moved 18 times? Yikes. I guess I have gone other places and even lived other places in my life but I always had this house as a sort of "home base" with stuff stored in the garage and closets. This time will be really completely "pulling up stakes". Hmm. Scary on the one hand, liberating on the other.

Anthony, cara mia, you are an excellent writer. Thank you for sharing your European adventure with us. You remind me so much of myself at your age. It's remarkable how much the experience of being a student abroad has not changed in several decades. Too little sleep, too much booze, amazing adventures, foolish stunts that seemed like a good idea at the time, great friends and a few idiotic ones as well. You relate it all exquisitely.

I did the junior year of my undergrad work in southern France and my master's degree in Paris. In and around my studies I traveled to all the places you hit in your adventure with the exception of Scotland. I too found myself in the situation of having all documents stolen and trying to get some help from the US Embassy in London. They have a proud tradition it seems of being monumentally unhelpful.

I highly recommend giving Anthony's book a read. I was literally LOLing reading it.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 12-06-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

Anthony, cara mia, you are an excellent writer. Thank you for sharing your European adventure with us. You remind me so much of myself at your age. It's remarkable how much the experience of being a student abroad has not changed in several decades. Too little sleep, too much booze, amazing adventures, foolish stunts that seemed like a good idea at the time, great friends and a few idiotic ones as well. You relate it all exquisitely.

I did the junior year of my undergrad work in southern France and my master's degree in Paris. In and around my studies I traveled to all the places you hit in your adventure with the exception of Scotland. I too found myself in the situation of having all documents stolen and trying to get some help from the US Embassy in London. They have a proud tradition it seems of being monumentally unhelpful.

I highly recommend giving Anthony's book a read. I was literally LOLing reading it.
    I don't even have a smartass reply. Thank you; I'm seriously flattered. I like that you were able to relate to it--I think the themes are kind of timeless for anyone with a sense of adventure.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I de-spammed you (hopefully).

had a long work day today and I'm pretty fried. I think i'm going to go to bed early.

Paleobird Guest
    I don't even have a smartass reply. Thank you; I'm seriously flattered. I like that you were able to relate to it--I think the themes are kind of timeless for anyone with a sense of adventure.
    Yes, the themes are timeless but they are not always as well told as your account. Keep writing and let me know if anything else is published or if you need an editorial second pair of eyes pre-publishing.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I de-spammed you (hopefully).
    had a long work day today and I'm pretty fried. I think i'm going to go to bed early.
    Thank you, Zoe. You could start a service called "Spam Removal While You Sleep" for your friends in the other hemisphere.

Paleobird Guest
    Tomorrow is my Dad's memorial service.

BONZ is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Tomorrow is my Dad's memorial service.
    I remember that feeling..... Much love your way.
    Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
    Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
    Starting Energy: "bleh...."
    Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
    Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."