Page 171 of 306 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181221271 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 171

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My family are all homebodies. I'm the weird adventuring one.

I love to travel with my kid. It makes travel different, but it's totally my pace. He can spend a whole day at the playgrounds, and we often do that. I try to put in one full playground day for every 4 days of travel (so three days of "everybody" stuff and one day just for DS) which allows us to rest because we mostly sit on a blanket and have picnics and talk, while he plays with a bunch of new "friends" (as he calls everyone).

It's very strange to loose weight so quickly that you have clothes with the tags still on. I haven't been that way in a while, but I do remember when I went through that myself.

Which reminds me, I need to take some time to go and get a new bathing suit.
    Last edited by zoebird; 12-03-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The saddest thing was actually walking by the thrift shop downtown and seeing her things in the window.
    I walked by the mid-mod furniture store and saw some of my parents' stuff in the showroom. At least it is going to people who appreciate it.
    My mother tells me so often how she envies all the exciting things I've done. She always wanted to be a world traveler. She grew up on a boy scout ranch in Arizona and had all kinds of fantasies involving adventure. It makes me sad that she lives those things through me. So I do adventurous things with an eye toward not wasting life too much. Of course, in return I envy her for being retired, doing the RV living thing half the year and hosting Pacific Crest Trail hikers in her house in the summer. That was my dream. I wanted to buy the pizza place in Lone Pine and have a special room for all the stinky hikers to eat pizza, entertain me with stories and put up memorabilia from their hikes on the wall.
    Exactly. I wish I could have known my mother later on in life. She died when I was in my twenties and still a grad student (not really all the way "grown up"). She never really said she would have liked a different life but I somehow just feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    My family are all homebodies. I'm the weird adventuring one.

I love to travel with my kid. It makes travel different, but it's totally my pace. He can spend a whole day at the playgrounds, and we often do that. I try to put in one full playground day for every 4 days of travel (so three days of "everybody" stuff and one day just for DS) which allows us to rest because we mostly sit on a blanket and have picnics and talk, while he plays with a bunch of new "friends" (as he calls everyone).
    It's very strange to loose weight so quickly that you have clothes with the tags still on. I haven't been that way in a while, but I do remember when I went through that myself.
    Which reminds me, I need to take some time to go and get a new bathing suit.
    Adventurous=/=weird. IMO that is normal. Being a homebody just seems so *stuck* in one place.

Traveling with a family would be a whole different experience but you seem to make it work well.

Nothing like a new bathing suit. Good idea. I have way too many old ones. I think I'll clean out the drawer and buy one nice new one.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Not the leopard print one!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Not the leopard print one!
    No, that one I'm keeping.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Nice save Nameless!
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

true. i considered that leopard print one for myself, but DH didn't like it on the model on the web site.

The funny thing about the way that I travel is that I do need to hvae a lot of "down time." I do not do well with "rush from one museum to another on a tight schedule!" All of our trips have been "have a general idea of what is available, arrive, and see what happens." This means that the planning is relatively minimal. There's plenty of opportunity for adventures -- those planned like "we MUST go to the viking ship museum!" and those unplanned "that girl on the train invited us to a party at her family's house in the countryside, since it's midsummer, and the city is basically shut down." Having had no arrangements for the next three days, we go to do that.

But, I also like to be in relatively early to have some time to rest, read, and have quiet time -- as much as I can -- and then i like to have relaxing mornings, taking time with waking, breakfast, and just gently heading into a day.

It makes it *so* easy with a kid -- because those are their needs too. They like routines and tons of time to cuddle and be quiet, particularly after the excitement and stresses of so many NEW things. But they are also highly adaptable, so . . . it's good.

I really look forward to going out into the "wilds" here with him. It's nice that they have easy, self-contained camper vans (you provide water, they have propane and solar panels for the rest), and you can be out for a week in them with no need for camp sites or similar. Most of the parks let you camp openly in their parking areas (some do, some don't, always posted), and DH and I have an eye ona particular corner of the south island where we want to start. So psyched. Hoping to start next summer (christmas).

I think I'll be able to go suit shopping on Thursday Am.

Paleobird Guest
    I like traveling relatively unplanned too. It's great to be able to discover things along the way.

Today was closet clean out day. I tried on everything. The problem about having big closets is that you sometimes don't remember what you do or don't have and then go and buy something very similar. I found I had three pairs of white jeans. One was too big one too short waisted and the other I kept.

So, I took out clothes by the hefty bag full enough to fill up my whole car and somehow my closet still looks full. But now the drawers do close without shoving them in.

I sorted out my kitchen stuff on Sunday. I found that I had three cheese graters. How do I end up with things in threes?

Moving is going to be a major PITA. It would be so easy to stay and get stuck.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I like traveling relatively unplanned too. It's great to be able to discover things along the way.
    Ha, you should read the (short) book I wrote about traveling around Europe (often) unplanned. It's pretty funny, I promise. Let me figure out how to make it free for you to download on Amazon; I don't want people on here to have to pay for it.

If you want to, of course. I'm really not pushing it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Ha, you should read the (short) book I wrote about traveling around Europe (often) unplanned. It's pretty funny, I promise. Let me figure out how to make it free for you to download on Amazon; I don't want people on here to have to pay for it.

If you want to, of course. I'm really not pushing it.
    I would love to read it. I have lived in Europe a couple of different times in my life and was married to a European for a while. I'm sure I would find it interesting.

I get so excited and passionate about decluttering that I often over-do it and then miss things that I let go of. I try to be more temperate about it now. LOL Like, ok, pack it away and if you don't need it over the 3 months, then let it go.