Page 167 of 306 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217267 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 167

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    He's mostly interested in you, so where ever you go, he'll go happily. Yes, he'll have to adjust, but he'll be fine.

As he is slowing down, going out for walks around a smaller neighborhood that you could walk to your favorite amenities is probably a good way to go. There's probably a dog-run near-by that area as well, so you'd probably be golden on that end, too.

DH and I are talking about moving back into town (he's finally seeing the sense of it). The reality is that we live there, even though we have a house out here, which means we commute and pay for parking there. Also, while the place I'm looking at is considerably more expensive, we'll likely be able to afford it in about a year, and as such, it will greatly increase our quality of life. Parking down town is taken care of (included in the apartment), it's 5 minutes from work, and basically close to everything that we normally do. It just makes sense to move back into town.

For me, an apartment is a great way to go (the place we are looking at is the same -- designed to be owner occupied condos, but many running as apartments) because you don't have to worry about maintaining it, you can lock it and walk away (or get a house sitter if you are really concerned), and if it no longer serves your needs, you look for a new place.

I'm excited to get a second bedroom for DS, which I thought wouldn't be necessary but it is now. He's old enough to start putting himself to bed (which we used to do when there was a door between us and him in the old apartment), but because we just go into the next room, he carries on. By having a room for him, we can put him to bed and walk away, and then have our own time earlier in the evening. And he'll be able to get more sleep.

Anyway, now I'm rambling.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Well, San Diego does still have the most perfect climate I have ever found in all my world travels. There are some nice neighborhoods close to the urban center of town that have some high rise buildings originally built as condos but, due to the market being a bit saturated, they are being rented out as apartments. I am looking around at some of those. There is this one really cool little neighborhood called "Little Italy" down by the marina district (traditionally the fishing industry in SD was run mostly by Italians). Little Italy has lots of really nice restaurants and coffee houses and what I think is the best farmers market in SD. I could walk to all of those things with my faithful Primal Wolf Cub.

That brings up another consideration in the "to sell or not to sell" question. I don't know exactly how old my dog is but he is upwards of ten. He isn't up for the half marathon walks and the all day trail hikes the way he used to be so I know he is slowing down a bit.

As it is now, he has the whole yard to run around in with a doggie door so I don't have to do regular "walkies" with him twice a day. It is his domain and he is comfortable here.

OTOH, living in an apartment would probably be good for getting both of us out and walking more.
    Well that's cool. My husband's mother, aunt and sister live in SD. Maybe next time we go down there we could meet up and go for a hike or something.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    He's mostly interested in you, so where ever you go, he'll go happily. Yes, he'll have to adjust, but he'll be fine.

As he is slowing down, going out for walks around a smaller neighborhood that you could walk to your favorite amenities is probably a good way to go. There's probably a dog-run near-by that area as well, so you'd probably be golden on that end, too.

DH and I are talking about moving back into town (he's finally seeing the sense of it). The reality is that we live there, even though we have a house out here, which means we commute and pay for parking there. Also, while the place I'm looking at is considerably more expensive, we'll likely be able to afford it in about a year, and as such, it will greatly increase our quality of life. Parking down town is taken care of (included in the apartment), it's 5 minutes from work, and basically close to everything that we normally do. It just makes sense to move back into town.

For me, an apartment is a great way to go (the place we are looking at is the same -- designed to be owner occupied condos, but many running as apartments) because you don't have to worry about maintaining it, you can lock it and walk away (or get a house sitter if you are really concerned), and if it no longer serves your needs, you look for a new place.

I'm excited to get a second bedroom for DS, which I thought wouldn't be necessary but it is now. He's old enough to start putting himself to bed (which we used to do when there was a door between us and him in the old apartment), but because we just go into the next room, he carries on. By having a room for him, we can put him to bed and walk away, and then have our own time earlier in the evening. And he'll be able to get more sleep.
    Yes, The Wolf Cub has traveled cross country with me several times and has been very mellow about that. Wherever I am, that is home as far as he is concerned.
    Also the neighborhoods I'm considering are not very far from where we live now. We could still walk to his favorite off leash dog park and such.
    And yes, living in a central location does make a lot of sense. Between walking and a plug in car, I will hardly need gas at all.
    If, in a year or two, I decide to go off to some far corner of the globe and teach English for a year, I could put my (minimalist) stuff in a friend's garage and just go.

Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Well that's cool. My husband's mother, aunt and sister live in SD. Maybe next time we go down there we could meet up and go for a hike or something.
    Sounds great. Are you coming down for Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Sounds great. Are you coming down for Christmas?
    No, actually they are coming up here for xmas. We probably won't make it down there until next year some time.

Exactly. Having the minimum is really great.

Paleobird Guest
    I had a very sedentary reflective day today. I just read back over this whole journal and re-read the story of me going for a cruise with my father happy and healthy at home, then the realization that his diet needed seeing to by me, then that wonderful span where he was getting off pills, had great BP and was feeling fine. Those are days I will really treasure. I just wish I could have changed his diet sooner, like by several decades. He was a tough healthy man. Without the cardiac damage from high BP and the metabolic damage from diabetes, he could easily have lived past 100.

This is what I think of every time one of those Peatarian posters or the Barefoot Gentile starts posting about how there is nothing wrong with sugar or bread because they don't see any adverse effects. You don't see the effects YET. That doesn't mean they don't exist. And by the time you figure it out, it will be too late.

My Dad "figured it out" when he said "I think I'm ready to give that diet of yours a try" while on the way home from seeing an emergency room doctor about the stabbing peripheral neuropathy pains in his feet. That was in May. He was dead by November.

I think the reality is finally soaking in that he is gone and is not coming back. We are going to have a little memorial service for him here at the house for a few friends and neighbors and bury his ashes in the yard that he loved so much.

Sounds like a really powerful day, Robyn. Once the business of it all is done, there's often time to look back.

To be sure, I was quite shocked that he went so quickly as well. I remember when you wrote of the changes in his diet and his health that came after. It's shocking how quickly it all turned -- as if on a dime -- and while I am thankful that he went, as you said, efficiently as he did because I know he would not have wanted to be a burden in any way -- it is also a very sad thing because of his zest for life, the health that he did enjoy pretty much until the end, and how open he was to finding methods to make his golden years that much better. He certainly was making long-term plans.

It is hard to finally start to experience this process of understanding that he isn't coming back, and I think that a simple service will be helpful for you, friends, and family.

(((hugs))) So sorry for your loss Robin. I personally am doing everything I can to get my father on board with me. He is headed down a very slippery path right now. Very overweight, prediabetic, taking blood pressure meds, heartburn meds, meds for his seizure disorder.....I'm going to buy The Art and Science of Low Carb Living for him for xmas. I'm half way through it already, I think it's a great book! I'm hoping that reading it will maybe snap him into reality and that he will start taking charge of his health before it's too late.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Sounds like a really powerful day, Robyn. Once the business of it all is done, there's often time to look back.

To be sure, I was quite shocked that he went so quickly as well. I remember when you wrote of the changes in his diet and his health that came after. It's shocking how quickly it all turned -- as if on a dime -- and while I am thankful that he went, as you said, efficiently as he did because I know he would not have wanted to be a burden in any way -- it is also a very sad thing because of his zest for life, the health that he did enjoy pretty much until the end, and how open he was to finding methods to make his golden years that much better. He certainly was making long-term plans.

It is hard to finally start to experience this process of understanding that he isn't coming back, and I think that a simple service will be helpful for you, friends, and family.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    (((hugs))) So sorry for your loss Robin. I personally am doing everything I can to get my father on board with me. He is headed down a very slippery path right now. Very overweight, prediabetic, taking blood pressure meds, heartburn meds, meds for his seizure disorder.....I'm going to buy The Art and Science of Low Carb Living for him for xmas. I'm half way through it already, I think it's a great book! I'm hoping that reading it will maybe snap him into reality and that he will start taking charge of his health before it's too late.
    It's easy to be open to changes when you are up against a wall and have a choice between change or pain. But by then the damage is already done.

Marrissa, please google Johns Hopkins+ ketosis for some interesting reading about ketosis and seizure disorders. It might help your dad get off of some of his meds. Also the AtkinsForSeizures.com site is a good resource.

Paleobird Guest
    Well, a lot got accomplished today. The construction crew started the basic renovations needed to bring the house "up to code" and ready for sale. I have been counseled by a realtor, a mortgage broker, and a building contractor who all said not to waste too much money in dolling the place up like putting in all new kitchen cabinets or whatever. Whoever buys it will have their own idea of how they want it to be and will most likely tear it all out and start over anyway. And, you don't get an added value for the house that is high enough to cover the expense.

So, they are just doing some little stuff like replacing some cracked windows, reconstructing a shed over the water heater out back where the roof was falling in, and finishing off a few projects that my Dad left in process like the new banister railing he made that still needs sanding and varnishing.

Today they demolished the old falling down shed and hauled away the debris to the dump. They said if I had anything to add to the dump load it was fine by them since they pay a flat fee as a contractor. So that really got me moving, shifting out all the stuff in the closets and cabinets. I also got two packed full carloads of stuff off to the Goodwill.

The excess baggage load keeps getting lighter.