Page 165 of 306 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 165

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks ladies - it's reassuring to hear that it really IS restrictive. When I hear that loud and clear, my focus can change to what is yummy and possible - some good ideas there, Zoebird.

I've gotta say, those trips sound amazing. I'm practically a travel virgin , but looking forward to stretching my wings a bit now that the kids have left home.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    OMG going on a trip like that with you would be awesome. Unfortunately I have young kids and a full time teaching job. WAAAAH!
    Let me know when you retire.........

Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Yes, yes, they do. If you ever move an office, the office supplies do it as well. My boss said that he thinks he might retire when he runs out of binder clips.
    My desk drawer won't close. I think they are at it in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    My friend wrote back and said the company that he went with went bust, and he can't find the old head of the group to find the porters. Sorry about that!
    --
    Jac, would probably strive to keep it very simple.

Under that list of "can't" I do see a lot of possible "cans"

First, I see great possibility in bone broths as a starting point. Why? Because the veggies that you list make delicious soups. With just bone broth, herbs that work for you, and the veggies cooked down and pureed in -- you actually have a lot of diversity in terms of flavor profiles. It's also easy to carry in a thermos. It also helps with satiety and protein up-take, as well as having gut healing properties and lots of other goodness, so go for that as a starting point.

Many of these soups can also include fatty cuts of meat (ie, split pea and ham). Or you can make the meat separately and then tear it into the soup after the fact. This might make it easier on you on the re-heat, I don't know.

I would probably do eggs and veg (brekkie), soup with meat (lunch), and then soup/veg plus meat (dinner). And if it wouldn't be "too many eggs" do the pumpkin pancakes (pumpkin -- roasted, strained -- baking powder, eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spices, then normal cooking in the skillet).

For cooking fat, consider using duckfat (very little overt flavor) and just add olive oil to the soups after you've made them (so adding cold olive oils to the soups).

I think it's perfectly possible to eat very well within your limitations, particularly if you gather some diverse flavor profiles within the veggies that you use (ie, I can make 4 different kinds of pumpkin soups just based on spices/herb profiles added along; I have 3 different split-pea flavor profiles; etc).
    Bummer about that company going under. Do you have any way of knowing what that trail/peak were called so maybe I could ask another company if they go there?

Some really good suggestions for Jac there Zoe. Bone broth is definitely going to be a centerpiece of the recovery process.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Thanks ladies - it's reassuring to hear that it really IS restrictive. When I hear that loud and clear, my focus can change to what is yummy and possible - some good ideas there, Zoebird.

I've gotta say, those trips sound amazing. I'm practically a travel virgin , but looking forward to stretching my wings a bit now that the kids have left home.
    Yep. You get your insides all healed up and functioning properly and travel also becomes much more fun and less risky. (I'm someone who eats off of taco carts in Mexico without stomach problems.)

The other road trip I was thinking about doing is a Route 66 trip from LA to Chicago. I have never been through that middle part of the US.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yep. You get your insides all healed up and functioning properly and travel also becomes much more fun and less risky. (I'm someone who eats off of taco carts in Mexico without stomach problems.)
    Heh, me too. My poor partner can't be nearly as adventurous as I can when it comes to eating while travelling. I joke that maybe my years of celiac disease made my digestive system too calloused and tough to get sick from a mere taco.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I asked him and he honestly doesn't remember. He didn't even write it down. He's quite certain now that he was on some pretty hefty tea. LOL

Hopefully, no matter which way you go, you'll see something amazing.

There's a show recently with Billy Connolly who did Rt 66. It was really interesting. I would definitely recommend it. He takes great joy in Americana.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Heh, me too. My poor partner can't be nearly as adventurous as I can when it comes to eating while travelling. I joke that maybe my years of celiac disease made my digestive system too calloused and tough to get sick from a mere taco.
    Some of being able to eat adventurously is a mindset too.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I asked him and he honestly doesn't remember. He didn't even write it down. He's quite certain now that he was on some pretty hefty tea. LOL
    Hopefully, no matter which way you go, you'll see something amazing.
    There's a show recently with Billy Connolly who did Rt 66. It was really interesting. I would definitely recommend it. He takes great joy in Americana.
    Oh yeah, that tea is pretty intense. I bought some of that online from Peru for my Kilimangaro climb. It really does help with the altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather519 View Post
    I've got friends who gained 20 each on a 2-week cruise. I hear those 24-hour ice cream bars and pizza bars are a killer!
    Why do the bots always choose this phrase to re-quote? That has to be about the fourth or fifth time that has be recycled.

Bad spambot!

Some of being able to eat adventurously is a mindset too.
    Too true. I am generally the more adventurous eater and definitely have more spice tolerance as well. However, he makes up for it by going off and doing cave dives and things like that. I don't think I could be happy with someone who had no sense of adventure at all.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    My thanks to all of you that have been so supportive. It means a lot to me.

My Dad passed away last night about 7pm. It was peaceful and calm. He just stopped breathing and his heart stopped. I was holding his hand. He just decided it was time and shut things down.

In death as in life he was gracious, dignified, sweet, gentle, and efficient. He would not have wanted to linger on in a helpless condition any longer than necessary. He lived well and he died well.

I feel fortunate to have had the best father in the world.
    I wondered if this had happened. I haven't been to your journal for a while because it moved so fast I couldn't keep up with it. I'm sorry to hear that your father died.

I think I could use a little magic right about now. Maybe I will just put the whole to sell/rent.etc. question aside for a bit and go climb Machu Picchu and experience the rainbows.
    Machu Picchu would be awesome. Or the Camino in Spain. Both I think would suit you way better than hiking the Pacific Crest. I did a trek long ago to the Khumbu. We climbed Mt. Kala Pattar to see the classic view of Mt. Everest. It was wonderful.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Too true. I am generally the more adventurous eater and definitely have more spice tolerance as well. However, he makes up for it by going off and doing cave dives and things like that. I don't think I could be happy with someone who had no sense of adventure at all.
    Oooh. Spelunking. That is definitely a sense of adventure. And that trait is definitely a must for anyone I would be with.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I wondered if this had happened. I haven't been to your journal for a while because it moved so fast I couldn't keep up with it. I'm sorry to hear that your father died.

Machu Picchu would be awesome. Or the Camino in Spain. Both I think would suit you way better than hiking the Pacific Crest. I did a trek long ago to the Khumbu. We climbed Mt. Kala Pattar to see the classic view of Mt. Everest. It was wonderful.
    Thanks SB. Yeah, I was on your journal talking about hiking the PCT and I just kind of assumed you knew why I was suddenly getting interested in such things again.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Spelunking is a little too adventurous for me, personally. I prefer adventurous eating. I remember on a trip to India there was an older American couple at the next table and they were trying desperately to order plain meat without any garlic or spices. They think that's barbaric in India. No self-respecting chef would serve such barbaric food. I think they probably had a terrible time in India. To be fair, I also had a terrible time in India. But not because of the food. I liked the food. It's a difficult place to visit, especially if you are female, American and blond and accompanied by an "American businessman" who obviously has money. Any one of those would be enough, but the combination was pretty difficult. I'd go again though. I like the adventure.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    PB, more than simply spelunking (although I am fond of his fondness for...spelunking). He has his SCUBA cert and loves doing things like cave dives. I like caves too and will happily do them on foot or snorkelling, but I've only done the pool portion of my SCUBA training--I'm a little anxious about it because of my lungs but will probably do my open water training eventually.

SB, India was definitely a place for adventurous eating. I was in heaven. I joke that I eat my way through every country I visit. I think my experience of travelling there was a little different though because I was there primarily to do field work and definitely did not appear to be any sort of business person. The fun bit was when we were in Delhi during the Commonwealth Games and people kept thinking my partner was one of the athletes because he was tall, muscular, and obviously foreign. Kids kept wanting pictures with him.

I walked up to the check-in counter at the airport and the man there was surprised by my Canadian passport. He told me I looked far so Indian that he was shocked to find out I was a Canadian visitor. The long brown hair, nose piercing, and my choice of traditional simple khadi salwar kameez and leather chappals probably helped (the hair and nose ring I had long before I went, the clothing just seemed like the most sensible thing for the heat and for cultural appropriateness). I'm a bit too tall and pale to be passably Indian otherwise, but I think I was dressed so little like a tourist that he simply assumed I must belong there.

Sigh. Every time I think about India, I miss it so much that my heart aches. I will go back, hopefully soon.

Owly's Journal