Page 164 of 306 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174214264 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 164

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the effort, Mr. Anthony. I have it on my list of "Things to check out tonight" while putting DS to bed. He likes to snuggle while I look at online pictures until he passes out. It's technically bad for him, but we enjoy it, so it's good for us.

PB, I'll ask my friend which outfit he used and whether or not that particular spot had a name so that you can request it.

I think putting the house question on hold for the right now is a very good idea. It's nearly the best time for inca trail walking, so you could get a good walk in for sure. And no doubt you have enough reserves to do well.

I also love letting go of stuff. We just took a bunch of clothes to the kindy (stuff that couldn't be sold), and I'm getting rid of several chairs (going to replace). Also was able to get a recycler to remove the dryer that doesn't exactly work, so that we could hang another drying rack in there as well as our one outside and our line outside. That should be done this weekend! Returned a lot of stuff to neighbors and friends (yay), and reorganized what we have.

DH and I still ahve to toy cull. (I managed to get rid of broken ones this weekend without DS noticing, but I still need to go through soft toys and get rid of the stinky ones (putting them in a case, which is not a good plan, but. . . so that if DS wants them I can dig them out and wash them). And, I'm going to let go of several puzzles (giving them to a neighbor whose autistic boy is just getting into them). DS will still have his favorites, though, because he uses those.

It is totally addictive to declutter!

Jac
    Jac is online now Senior Member
    Hi PB. I need some advice, if that's OK?

When I tried ketosis before, I had the experience of feeling amazing, but in my effort to find different things to eat I ended up re-flaring my IBS on coconut or too much protein or avodaco. I also ended up eating very little, followed by being ravenous, which also flared me. I gave up, and since then it's been a rocky road, but I have managed to completely detox from artificial sweeteners and caffeine for over a month. That's the hardest thing I've ever done. My IBS is horrible at present, so I want to give ketosis another try.

I need some ideas about what and how much to eat.

I have to exclude all nuts, seeds, dairy, and raw veges. I can tolerate smallish amounts of coconut cream, well cooked brassicas, leafy greens, and other veges (pumpkin, carrots, beets, tomatoes, peas). Sometimes I have real difficulty digesting cold or reheated proteins, or too many eggs. Overeating flares me, too - so letting myself get so hungry that I can't stop eating is a bad move.

On the plus side, I don't seem to have much trouble with digesting fat.

With those parameters, can you suggest some meals? I also need to plan for days when I drive a lot - things that don't need to be refrigerated and can be eaten with fingers.

I felt so good for some of the time last time - I want it back, but consistently this time! Any help is very gratefully received.

(I've tried probiotics and digestive enzymes - they flared me. I have lots of healing to do, so part of my motivation with ketosis is to completely avoid flares for a really long time to allow healing)
    Last edited by Jac; 11-19-2012 at 01:36 AM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    My thanks to all of you that have been so supportive. It means a lot to me.

My Dad passed away last night about 7pm. It was peaceful and calm. He just stopped breathing and his heart stopped. I was holding his hand. He just decided it was time and shut things down.

In death as in life he was gracious, dignified, sweet, gentle, and efficient. He would not have wanted to linger on in a helpless condition any longer than necessary. He lived well and he died well.

I feel fortunate to have had the best father in the world.
    shalom
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Mr. Anthony Those pics rocked. I love the one of you sitting on the ledge above Machu Picchu. I am a Spanish teacher and would love to take a field trip. HMMM
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Ah, I see.

I ran across a couple of their tour groups while I was in Africa. The only thing I didn't like about them was that they took people into the parks like the Siringeti in big double deck buses instead of the smaller quieter jeeps the other tour companies used. The Gap tours mega buses would plow into an area in a cloud of noise and flying dirt and totally disrupt the wildlife that everyone else was trying to watch respectfully at a distance.

One time there were two lions stalking up to a watering hole where there were a bunch of zebras and wildebeests drinking. They were slowly moving in to set up their dash to try for a kill when in zooms the Gap bus. The lions went running off one direction and the potential prey another. Those of us who had been patiently and quietly sitting there hoping to see something interesting were left shaking our heads on a cloud of dust.

My guide said the Gap bunch were always doing that and that all the other guides found them really annoying.
    That's disappointing to hear. I wonder if that was an issue with those guides for that site or if it's an endemic problem? My brother is in an ecotourism degree program and was saying that G is considered one of the model businesses for ethical ecotourism setups because of their partnership models and relationship building with communities.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    All this talk up there about hiking the Inca Trail reminded me that I had put together a photo journal after I did the hike a few years back. I talked to PB to see if she'd be interested in seeing it (she was), so I tracked it down online. The original place I had posted it had been bought out, the new place had rearranged everything, and it took me a while to get them all back in the (I think) correct order, then to share them I had to create a website....

Long story short, here is the link to see the pics from my Inca Trail hike. I took a couple of thousand pictures, then edited the good ones down to just a handful and added a caption to every single one, since one of my pet peeves is people who just upload every picture they took from a vacation. I like quality content. So...check it out if you're interested. Also let me know if there are any issues.
    Those are great! Thanks for sharing.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    I love that process, too. It feels so light, especially if the stuff has gone someplace useful.
    Yes, it's not like it is going in a dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    All this talk up there about hiking the Inca Trail reminded me that I had put together a photo journal after I did the hike a few years back. I talked to PB to see if she'd be interested in seeing it (she was), so I tracked it down online. The original place I had posted it had been bought out, the new place had rearranged everything, and it took me a while to get them all back in the (I think) correct order, then to share them I had to create a website....

Long story short, here is the link to see the pics from my Inca Trail hike. I took a couple of thousand pictures, then edited the good ones down to just a handful and added a caption to every single one, since one of my pet peeves is people who just upload every picture they took from a vacation. I like quality content. So...check it out if you're interested. Also let me know if there are any issues.
    Thank you, Mr Anthony.

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    I think that is a great idea. It might be too soon to think of selling. We just moved after 25 years in the same house. Imagine the stuff
    I'm thinking maybe if I de-clutter my own house a bit, then I wouldn't feel this pressing need to move out and on. The way things are, I can hardly turn around in this place. And I'm not really even the "pack rat" type. I don't know where it all comes from. I think when you turn out the lights at night, all the junk gets together and multiplies on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    PB, I'll ask my friend which outfit he used and whether or not that particular spot had a name so that you can request it.

I think putting the house question on hold for the right now is a very good idea. It's nearly the best time for inca trail walking, so you could get a good walk in for sure. And no doubt you have enough reserves to do well.

I also love letting go of stuff. DH and I still ahve to toy cull. It is totally addictive to declutter!
    Yes, please. I want to see the rainbows.
    De-cluttering could definitely become addictive. It is a rush

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    When I tried ketosis before, I had the experience of feeling amazing, but in my effort to find different things to eat I ended up re-flaring my IBS on coconut or too much protein or avodaco. I also ended up eating very little, followed by being ravenous, which also flared me. I gave up, and since then it's been a rocky road, but I have managed to completely detox from artificial sweeteners and caffeine for over a month. That's the hardest thing I've ever done. My IBS is horrible at present, so I want to give ketosis another try.

I have to exclude all nuts, seeds, dairy, and raw veges. I can tolerate smallish amounts of coconut cream, well cooked brassicas, leafy greens, and other veges (pumpkin, carrots, beets, tomatoes, peas). Sometimes I have real difficulty digesting cold or reheated proteins, or too many eggs. Overeating flares me, too - so letting myself get so hungry that I can't stop eating is a bad move.

On the plus side, I don't seem to have much trouble with digesting fat.

(I've tried probiotics and digestive enzymes - they flared me. I have lots of healing to do, so part of my motivation with ketosis is to completely avoid flares for a really long time to allow healing)
    Kudos on ditching the sweeteners and caffeine. That is a big step in the right direction.
    Wow. That really is pretty restrictive. I would just suggest to keep it simple. Fatty cuts of meat like brisket with a side of creamed spinach done with coconut cream. Have you tried ghee to see if that is ok with your insides? It can make a lot of things taste better and get you your fat content without ODing on coconut oil.

Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    shalom
    Thank you, Honey Badger.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Mr. Anthony Those pics rocked. I love the one of you sitting on the ledge above Machu Picchu. I am a Spanish teacher and would love to take a field trip. HMMM
    Need a hiking buddy?

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    That's disappointing to hear. I wonder if that was an issue with those guides for that site or if it's an endemic problem? My brother is in an ecotourism degree program and was saying that G is considered one of the model businesses for ethical ecotourism setups because of their partnership models and relationship building with communities.
    Well, technically they could claim to be eco friendly in that they are getting a bunch of people in a big bus instead of a bunch of jeeps therefore less gas being used but, for that environment, the buses are really more disruptive to the wildlife. I ran across the same thing at a couple of different parks.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    OMG going on a trip like that with you would be awesome. Unfortunately I have young kids and a full time teaching job. WAAAAH!
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    I think when you turn out the lights at night, all the junk gets together and multiplies on its own.
    Yes, yes, they do. If you ever move an office, the office supplies do it as well. My boss said that he thinks he might retire when he runs out of binder clips.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My friend wrote back and said the company that he went with went bust, and he can't find the old head of the group to find the porters. Sorry about that!

--

Jac, would probably strive to keep it very simple.

Under that list of "can't" I do see a lot of possible "cans"

First, I see great possibility in bone broths as a starting point. Why? Because the veggies that you list make delicious soups. With just bone broth, herbs that work for you, and the veggies cooked down and pureed in -- you actually have a lot of diversity in terms of flavor profiles. It's also easy to carry in a thermos. It also helps with satiety and protein up-take, as well as having gut healing properties and lots of other goodness, so go for that as a starting point.

Many of these soups can also include fatty cuts of meat (ie, split pea and ham). Or you can make the meat separately and then tear it into the soup after the fact. This might make it easier on you on the re-heat, I don't know.

I would probably do eggs and veg (brekkie), soup with meat (lunch), and then soup/veg plus meat (dinner). And if it wouldn't be "too many eggs" do the pumpkin pancakes (pumpkin -- roasted, strained -- baking powder, eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spices, then normal cooking in the skillet).

For cooking fat, consider using duckfat (very little overt flavor) and just add olive oil to the soups after you've made them (so adding cold olive oils to the soups).

I think it's perfectly possible to eat very well within your limitations, particularly if you gather some diverse flavor profiles within the veggies that you use (ie, I can make 4 different kinds of pumpkin soups just based on spices/herb profiles added along; I have 3 different split-pea flavor profiles; etc).