Page 162 of 306 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172212262 ... LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 162

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Spain is lovely. I haven't been there sine the late 80s when I was doing my MA in Paris. I spent more time along the southern coast and the islands. Never did the Camino Santiago.

I think the first destinations on my world tour list (after I get the housing situation sorted out) are Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Islands. I've never been to South America while I have spent quite a bit of time in Europe (Junior year undergrad in Provence, grad school in Paris, then married a German).
    Friends of mine just did Machu Picchu this year. Apparently you can now get there using modern transportation, but they did the old-school trail route and loved it--the journey there was as important as seeing the site. They said it was funny to arrive after days on the trail and encounter a stereotypical whining tourist woman with high heels and gel nails. They found themselves missing the peace and meditative quality of the hike as they were plunged back into the buzz of a busy place, but they say it was still spectacular. It's definitely on my list too (as are the Galapagos!).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    That's very sweet. Dinner on dad is a lovely thing, indeed.

Yes, if you sell mid-mod furniture, be sure to talk to someone who can value it before talking to resellers. Those guys! But seriously, among my friends and hipsters, this mid-mod stuff is our favorite. All over our design magazines (dwell, apartment therapy, etc). That and straight-out modernist stuff from just prior (20s-50s).
    I have a dealer I trust for that sort of thing. They purchased the furniture out of the home across the street from me (also mid-mod by the same architect) after the elderly neighbors there got moved out to assisted care. I got more money than I expected fro the stuff I sold. To me it is a double win. They take it away and they pay me for it. It's also nice to know that it will go to someone who appreciates that era and style as opposed to someone just looking for a bargain at the Goodwill store.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I confess: I kind of like it. I feel very invigorated afterwards, and during, well, I just read my book and am grateful for fifteen quiet minutes. I'm going on a camping trip this weekend, and am looking forward to trying a lake swim in the wee hours.
    Swimming outdoors in chilly water is very different than sitting in a tub. At least you are moving. As a long time surfer of the chilly Pacific Ocean, I have spent a lot of time in cold water. I can see that someone with a family would like the "me time" aspect of it but I can do that in a hot tub and be comfortable. Just never have "gotten" that whole thread by Otzi about CT.

Quote Originally Posted by rachelelainenelson View Post
    I am so excited this exists! I have always felt kind of alienated by the young/buff men's ease and aggressive attitudes, and love that there is a place to talk it out.

I have been 90% primal for about 1.5 yrs. My weight has confusingly yo-yo'd a bit... started at about 150, didn't do much weight lifting but went REALLY primal and got a lot of slow cardio, lost 10 lbs right away, took a mini-hiatus from Primal and went low cal for a couple months and lost five more lbs, went Primal/started weight lifting for the first time and gained it all back. I'm now back on the primal wagon big time, right around 75 carbs a day, lifting heavily regularly, and at the highest weight of my life (152). My body feels/looks really similar to before I started Primal at all. Not sure why I'm doing wrong. Grrr..... it has the potential to feel kind of frustrating.

The weight is not so much an issue for me as wanting to look as strong as I feel: visible muscle definition would be really nice, and I have a little layer of fat that is blocking a lot of that.

I've been doing cardio+weight lifting 4-5X a week, try to get good sleep and outdoor time, and am interested in starting IF.

Questions!
    Does anybody have any experiences with IF? I have a real hard time doing a full 24hr fast, but have previously done the dinner-dinner fast, and that seems to work well. How often do people do this? Is once every week too much? Once a month?

Also, does anybody have any thoughts on water weight from working out/muscle weight VS fat weight? How do I know which is which?

Thanks so much, guys! Again, so happy ya'll are out there!
    Well, if you're lifting, you are developing heavier muscles and bones as well, so I wouldn't be too obsessed about the scale numbers. Try tape measurements instead for a better indicator of body re-comp.

I think you may be overtraining a bit. Mark recommends 2 days a week of lifting plus one sprint session and lots of low level movement like walking, swimming, or easy bike riding. Sometimes less is more.

I highly recommend the book "Eat Stop Eat" by Brad Pilon for pointers about IFing. I don't think it has to be on any set schedule. Sometimes I jsut don't feel like eating so I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Friends of mine just did Machu Picchu this year. Apparently you can now get there using modern transportation, but they did the old-school trail route and loved it--the journey there was as important as seeing the site. They said it was funny to arrive after days on the trail and encounter a stereotypical whining tourist woman with high heels and gel nails. They found themselves missing the peace and meditative quality of the hike as they were plunged back into the buzz of a busy place, but they say it was still spectacular. It's definitely on my list too (as are the Galapagos!).
    Yes, I was thinking about doing the whole "Inca Trail" hike. The National Geographic Society does a small ship cruise of the Galapagos with Alexandra Cousteau as the naturalist on board. I'm thinking that would be fun and avoid the kind of tourists you mentioned. BTW, you just described my sister to a tee. Is it any wonder we are not really close?

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Yes, I was thinking about doing the whole "Inca Trail" hike.
    I did the 4-day Inca Trail hike a few years ago (with my mom). It was 1) absolutely amazing and 2) very, very difficult. I hadn't been able to train much leading up to it due to a ribcage injury, so that was a big factor for me. I think I'd like to do it again now that I've had some time to forget how much my legs hurt afterwards.

It really was one of the greatest things I've ever done, and I've done a lot of great things. I vote "do it!"

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    MP and the galapagos are on our top 10 list. I would definitely do the trail up. My firend did it about 8 years ago, and he still raves about the experience. Fabulous!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I did the 4-day Inca Trail hike a few years ago (with my mom). It was 1) absolutely amazing and 2) very, very difficult. I hadn't been able to train much leading up to it due to a ribcage injury, so that was a big factor for me. I think I'd like to do it again now that I've had some time to forget how much my legs hurt afterwards.

It really was one of the greatest things I've ever done, and I've done a lot of great things. I vote "do it!"
    That's so cool that you did that hike together with your Mom.
    Having a rib cage injury could definitely make breathing at that altitude a lot harder than it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    MP and the galapagos are on our top 10 list. I would definitely do the trail up. My firend did it about 8 years ago, and he still raves about the experience. Fabulous!
    Yep I would never want to do one of the big cruise line tours of the Galapagos but the NatGeo one has a small enough ship to get into the more remote spots.

I haven't checked out the National Geographic trips, but I've been looking at the G Adventures options. They do some combination Galapagos and Inca Trail packages. Most people I know who've done trips with them have had a good experience.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Paleobird Guest
    G Adventures? Is that the outfit that used to be called Gap Adventures or something different entirely?

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    My parents just came back from MP. After they sent me a picture, I said I wanted to go. Mom told me to save up and do it while I'm young - she said some of the bus doors were almost too small for her, and she's probably a size 12 or 14 at the max. I plan on being healthy enough at my parents' age that I can travel without the HUGE thing of pills...that still didn't fit all of Dad's. I think one of their friends had issues with the altitude or something while they were there.

So. Can I hide in your suitcase?
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    My parents just came back from MP. After they sent me a picture, I said I wanted to go. Mom told me to save up and do it while I'm young - she said some of the bus doors were almost too small for her, and she's probably a size 12 or 14 at the max. I plan on being healthy enough at my parents' age that I can travel without the HUGE thing of pills...that still didn't fit all of Dad's. I think one of their friends had issues with the altitude or something while they were there.

So. Can I hide in your suitcase?
    Next best thing to hiding in my suitcase is reading my journal I guess.

There are some places in the world that just need to be hiked, IMO. I suppose it is nice that they have transport on MP for people who can't hike it but it seems like hiking there would make the experience richer.

Another hike I am considering is the Pacific Crest Trail which runs from the Canadian border to the Mexican border here in the western US. I am inspired by SBhikes' accounts of her trek there.

PrimalCon New York
    G Adventures? Is that the outfit that used to be called Gap Adventures or something different entirely?
    Same people. The Gap sued them, so they changed the name.

Owly's Journal