Page 161 of 306 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211261 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 161

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hello Paleobird, my name is Kym and I came to the forum a year and a half ago and then took a hiatus. You may remember me or maybe not. I'm the same height as you, and I remember your story.

I clean out a closet every 3-9 months, one reason is I am an anal organizer at times and lived in a few small studios in NYC where you HAD to clean out regularly. Also, I think it is because of all the old stuff I have seen in relatives homes after their passing.

My mother, the responsible, over functioner of the family, was always cleaning and sorting mostly solo and still says stuff like, I need to clean out this house, I would be mortified knowing someone has to deal with all this junk if I die. I guess it stuck with me, bc I am far from dead, but always cleaning out and letting go. It is an amazing process and can really allow for unexpected things to come into your life. Good for you! And traveling adventures are the best stuff of life, aren't they?

I am currently on a mission to correct my health after some clusters of small, and too close for comfort, health issues. You can check out my new journal for details if you so choose. Do you mind if I ask how long it took to wittle off 65 pounds the first time? I am an overachieving freak, and would like something to relate (not compare) to from someone who is built similar to me.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    It's always great living in a high demand place, and mid-mod is really hot now, so that no doubt helps a ton. Our place sold before we put it on the market just because of how it was positioned in our area (no more new construction of that size, ours were the newest, and in good condition, great schools/neighborhood/amenities, etc). So, technically sold in one day (the day that we put it on the market!).

I think it sounds like a great option for that young, artsy family. Renting there might be weird, or it might be awesome! Honestly, there's no telling. It's definitely worth considering all around.

It's also great to be able to give things to neighbors who knew your dad and whom your dad enjoyed good relationships with. he will carry on with them, too. Those children will go "this was our neighbor's tool!" DH does this with some of the things that he's collected over the years from beloved neighbors who passed away when he was young. Most of it he ultimately sold (to move here), but when we went through that stuff, he told me stories of each person. Even many years out, the memories remain.

And isn't it nice to have these little treasures of your family's life have a new life with families who will treasure these things? I think that's a real joy in letting go of these things.
    Is mid-mod hot? I really didn't know that.

Today I gave away my Mom's sewing machine and all her sewing stuff to my housekeeper who was just thrilled to have it. It is nice to know that things like that are going to someone who can really use and appreciate them. The housekeeper also took all the cleaning supplies that were piling up under Dad's sink. He would be at the store and not remember if he needed some Windex or not so he would buy another one and ended up with three bottles of Windex. And there were dusters and mops and all kinds of stuff that will keep on cleaning houses for many more years to come.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    PB have you ever considered walking the Camino Santiago? The idea of shedding of stuff plays a role in that walk. I have walked a portion of it after my cancer treatment. I plan to return and complete the whole walk.A quick google search will enlighten you.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    My friend just finished Camino Santiago! This weekend is her welcome-back party. Very cool. Amazing, really.

DH and I look forward to some long walks in the future. Both DS and his girlfriend can do a good distance for their age (about 8 kms with enough rest on pretty steep up/down terrain here in wellington), so it's not going to be too much longer.
    Are you guys talking about the one in Spain or is there another?

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    yep the Camino Santiago is in Spain. I have such fond memories of my time in Spain. I only walked for two weeks but spent another week travelling in Spain the people were amazing along with the landscape.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymma View Post
    Hello Paleobird, my name is Kym and I came to the forum a year and a half ago and then took a hiatus. You may remember me or maybe not. I'm the same height as you, and I remember your story.

I clean out a closet every 3-9 months, one reason is I am an anal organizer at times and lived in a few small studios in NYC where you HAD to clean out regularly. Also, I think it is because of all the old stuff I have seen in relatives homes after their passing.

My mother, the responsible, over functioner of the family, was always cleaning and sorting mostly solo and still says stuff like, I need to clean out this house, I would be mortified knowing someone has to deal with all this junk if I die. I guess it stuck with me, bc I am far from dead, but always cleaning out and letting go. It is an amazing process and can really allow for unexpected things to come into your life. Good for you! And traveling adventures are the best stuff of life, aren't they?

I am currently on a mission to correct my health after some clusters of small, and too close for comfort, health issues. You can check out my new journal for details if you so choose. Do you mind if I ask how long it took to wittle off 65 pounds the first time? I am an overachieving freak, and would like something to relate (not compare) to from someone who is built similar to me.
    Hi Kym. Yes I remember you. Fellow Amazonian woman.

That sounds like a great plan to do the clean out on a regular basis and not wait for the stuff to build up to the point where it gets so huge that you just think, "I'll get to that next week. Really I will."

My 65 lbs came off in two chunks. The first 30 fell off really easily in about 6 months by just going low carb on the "don't eat white foods" program before I found Primal. Then I started Primal and that's when I got the "EAT MOAR FAT" message and so I did and gained some back. When I figured out that calories do count and that just because they are Taubsian "good" calories doesn't mean you can eat as much as you want and still lose weight, then things got moving the right direction again. The last 35 dropped off in 5 months.

I am not a Jack Kruse devotee by any means but he does have some good sensible advice that really helped me. The big protein breakfast is great. (It doesn't have to be exact # of grams at exact time). The no snacking rule is good too. Also just generally getting your body back in touch with natural daily cycles of sleep/wake by going to bed earlier and getting up earlier helps a lot too.
    There is no way he will ever convince me that sitting in an ice water bath is anything other than misplaced masochism though.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    yep the Camino Santiago is in Spain. I have such fond memories of my time in Spain. I only walked for two weeks but spent another week travelling in Spain the people were amazing along with the landscape.
    Spain is lovely. I haven't been there sine the late 80s when I was doing my MA in Paris. I spent more time along the southern coast and the islands. Never did the Camino Santiago.

I think the first destinations on my world tour list (after I get the housing situation sorted out) are Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Islands. I've never been to South America while I have spent quite a bit of time in Europe (Junior year undergrad in Provence, grad school in Paris, then married a German).

Paleobird Guest
    I found my Dad's "stash" wallet today. He had a hundred bucks in there "just in case". I took myself out to dinner with that cash at my local steak house that features grass fed steak (yummm). I am now a bit schnockered on the nice bottle of wine I had with my steak. It felt like dad was taking me out to dinner posthumously.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    That's very sweet. Dinner on dad is a lovely thing, indeed.

Yes, if you sell mid-mod furniture, be sure to talk to someone who can value it before talking to resellers. Those guys! But seriously, among my friends and hipsters, this mid-mod stuff is our favorite. All over our design magazines (dwell, apartment therapy, etc). That and straight-out modernist stuff from just prior (20s-50s).

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    There is no way he will ever convince me that sitting in an ice water bath is anything other than misplaced masochism though.
    I confess: I kind of like it. I feel very invigorated afterwards, and during, well, I just read my book and am grateful for fifteen quiet minutes. I'm going on a camping trip this weekend, and am looking forward to trying a lake swim in the wee hours.

rachelelainenelson is offline Junior Member
    I am so excited this exists! I have always felt kind of alienated by the young/buff men's ease and aggressive attitudes, and love that there is a place to talk it out.

I have been 90% primal for about 1.5 yrs. My weight has confusingly yo-yo'd a bit... started at about 150, didn't do much weight lifting but went REALLY primal and got a lot of slow cardio, lost 10 lbs right away, took a mini-hiatus from Primal and went low cal for a couple months and lost five more lbs, went Primal/started weight lifting for the first time and gained it all back. I'm now back on the primal wagon big time, right around 75 carbs a day, lifting heavily regularly, and at the highest weight of my life (152). My body feels/looks really similar to before I started Primal at all. Not sure why I'm doing wrong. Grrr..... it has the potential to feel kind of frustrating.

The weight is not so much an issue for me as wanting to look as strong as I feel: visible muscle definition would be really nice, and I have a little layer of fat that is blocking a lot of that.

I've been doing cardio+weight lifting 4-5X a week, try to get good sleep and outdoor time, and am interested in starting IF.

Questions!
    Does anybody have any experiences with IF? I have a real hard time doing a full 24hr fast, but have previously done the dinner-dinner fast, and that seems to work well. How often do people do this? Is once every week too much? Once a month?

Also, does anybody have any thoughts on water weight from working out/muscle weight VS fat weight? How do I know which is which?

Thanks so much, guys! Again, so happy ya'll are out there!