Page 160 of 306 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170210260 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 160

Paleobird Guest
    Well, I got a lot done today. The neighbors who might potentially be buyers of the house helped a bunch. The guy and I went through Dad's workshop and completely cleaned it out. My Dad had said, back when he was still lucid that he wanted me to give this neighbor first pick of any tools and such. Dad really liked that guy. I think he reminded him of himself at a younger age starting out with a house and a new family. Dad helped him out whenever he could with tools and advice and even a little surrogate grand-parenting of their kid like teaching the tike how a gopher trap works and how to avoid getting hurt by one.

The neighbor and I got everything out of the workshop in one day, something that I thought would take a week. The lady neighbor helped me go through and sort out the dishes and I gave her some nice things like Mom's big glass punch bowl.

It feels so good to be lightening the load of excess baggage in my life.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    From the other side of the gifting experience, I can speak of how incredibly grateful I was to inherit a number of things large and small - from chessmen and a Jaeger silk scarf to furniture - that I would never have been able to have in my life otherwise. And not a week goes by that I don't think of that individual and remember and honour her and the relative of hers that invited husband and I to take whatever we wanted/needed. That gift truly does keep giving for us. It's a wonderful thing to do if you can: sharing the riches of a life well lived.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    It feels so good to be lightening the load of excess baggage in my life.
    I'm glad it's going well so far. Letting go of stuff and streamlining your life is great - it can get pretty addictive, actually! So liberating. And it's nice to see that your folks' things can find new homes and be useful to others.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    From the other side of the gifting experience, I can speak of how incredibly grateful I was to inherit a number of things large and small - from chessmen and a Jaeger silk scarf to furniture - that I would never have been able to have in my life otherwise. And not a week goes by that I don't think of that individual and remember and honour her and the relative of hers that invited husband and I to take whatever we wanted/needed. That gift truly does keep giving for us. It's a wonderful thing to do if you can: sharing the riches of a life well lived.
    Yep, the neighbors are at a different stage in their lives with two careers and a little kid to raise. They grow a lot of their own produce (they were the ones who kept giving me piles of zucchini last summer) so all Dad's gardening tools will be put to good use. His tools and workshop meant a lot to him. He would be pleased to know that the tools continue to be useful for someone who will take good care of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    I'm glad it's going well so far. Letting go of stuff and streamlining your life is great - it can get pretty addictive, actually! So liberating. And it's nice to see that your folks' things can find new homes and be useful to others.
    The neighbors' house was designed by the same architect as my parents' house and has the same mid fifties modern "look" of lots of wood and glass. So, the things I'm giving them look right "at home" there.

It would be so cool if they actually bought the place. That way we could avoid paying brokerage fees and I would know that the house was going to someone who would appreciate it and not just take a bulldozer to it in order to build something bigger and shinier.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 11-12-2012 at 08:53 AM.

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

Yep, folks around here can chase after the latest potato if that makes them happy. I know what works. Consistently. Long term.
    Thanks PB and Cori I needed to hear that message today. I have realised that being super busy I have been neglecting my health and have not been true to myself or primal (you know the 1 won't hurt mentality that can creep in while you are not watching!).

I think it would be so comforting to know the new owners. I am a great believer in karma PB and IMO you are reaping what you sow. These lovely people who are there to support you and help you, with the often troublesome process of clearing out and letting go, are there because you have engaged with them in a lovely way in the past.

BTW I am really quite jealous of your impending freedom. We are mortgaged with dependant kids who are at university and we own our own business, so not exactly in a position to up stumps and go play in the world like you are. All this talk of selling up and travelling sounds so good. I am glad for you (still jealous though).

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    Thanks PB and Cori I needed to hear that message today. I have realised that being super busy I have been neglecting my health and have not been true to myself or primal (you know the 1 won't hurt mentality that can creep in while you are not watching!).
    Cori and I both have neurological disorders. If a strict diet is helping both of us, it proves that diet does mater. "One won't hurt" is fine if you are young, healthy , and at an ideal weight. The rest of us have to, as Cori said, "stick to our guns".

Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    I think it would be so comforting to know the new owners. I am a great believer in karma PB and IMO you are reaping what you sow. These lovely people who are there to support you and help you, with the often troublesome process of clearing out and letting go, are there because you have engaged with them in a lovely way in the past.

BTW I am really quite jealous of your impending freedom. We are mortgaged with dependant kids who are at university and we own our own business, so not exactly in a position to up stumps and go play in the world like you are. All this talk of selling up and travelling sounds so good. I am glad for you (still jealous though).
    Yes, on the one hand I love this place. I grew up here. Otoh, I really feel like it is time to move onward. Knowing the new owners would treat the place well and even being welcome to come back for a visit now and then would be nice though. Sort of the best of both.

I t really does feel good to look around me and think, "How much of this *stuff* do I actually need and/or use?" And then to realize that there is a lot that needs to go.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    It's always great living in a high demand place, and mid-mod is really hot now, so that no doubt helps a ton. Our place sold before we put it on the market just because of how it was positioned in our area (no more new construction of that size, ours were the newest, and in good condition, great schools/neighborhood/amenities, etc). So, technically sold in one day (the day that we put it on the market!).

I think it sounds like a great option for that young, artsy family. Renting there might be weird, or it might be awesome! Honestly, there's no telling. It's definitely worth considering all around.

It's also great to be able to give things to neighbors who knew your dad and whom your dad enjoyed good relationships with. he will carry on with them, too. Those children will go "this was our neighbor's tool!" DH does this with some of the things that he's collected over the years from beloved neighbors who passed away when he was young. Most of it he ultimately sold (to move here), but when we went through that stuff, he told me stories of each person. Even many years out, the memories remain.

And isn't it nice to have these little treasures of your family's life have a new life with families who will treasure these things? I think that's a real joy in letting go of these things.

PB have you ever considered walking the Camino Santiago? The idea of shedding of stuff plays a role in that walk. I have walked a portion of it after my cancer treatment. I plan to return and complete the whole walk.A quick google search will enlighten you.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My friend just finished Camino Santiago! This weekend is her welcome-back party. Very cool. Amazing, really.

DH and I look forward to some long walks in the future. Both DS and his girlfriend can do a good distance for their age (about 8 kms with enough rest on pretty steep up/down terrain here in wellington), so it's not going to be too much longer.