Page 159 of 306 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169209259 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 159

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm starting to think more and more that I want to sell the houses and bank the money and then live really well in an upscale rental where, if there is a plumbing issue, you call the building supervisor. And, if you want to go off globe trotting, you just have your mail stopped, turn the key, and walk away.
    If I had no kids and the financial means this is exactly what I would do. I hate feeling tied down to anything, I don't even really have any attachment to things/stuff. If I had to be brutal I think I could whittle down my truly valued possessions to a cardboard box. I swear when my kids leave home, that's exactly what I will do - sell everything, put the box in a friend's garage and take off.

I envy you your freedom.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I think it's a viable option.

Financially speaking, you can diversify how you bank it with diverse investments and live off dividends, lowering your tax rate in the process as well, and also being able to walk away at any time. Not just to go and travel (knowing everything is secure), but also if you just want to move to another location that might be better for you.

DH and I talked about this the other day. We actually really like renting. The place we had our eye on from day 1 when we came here has some available. Unfortunately, it's currently beyond our means, but it's not that far. So, in a little while, we'll be able to move there. It has about 70 million amenities (parking in town being a huge one), and is a two block walk to work. It's a 15 minute drive to DS's school. Seriously, it's golden.

Owning it would be a hassle unless someone's looking at that as a long-term financial investment (in terms of running a property business). I used to have a lot of interest in that, but now that I know several people who run property businesses and I've seen it from the inside, I say to myself: no thanks!

I'd rather just have a nice, comfortable place to live with a good view that would be easy to walk away form if needed.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    If I had no kids and the financial means this is exactly what I would do. I hate feeling tied down to anything, I don't even really have any attachment to things/stuff. If I had to be brutal I think I could whittle down my truly valued possessions to a cardboard box. I swear when my kids leave home, that's exactly what I will do - sell everything, put the box in a friend's garage and take off.

I envy you your freedom.
    While I'm in tossing things out mode with my Dad's stuff, it is getting me motivated to do the same with my own. I have lived in this house for ten years and I am already accumulating way more than I need or actually use.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I think it's a viable option.

Financially speaking, you can diversify how you bank it with diverse investments and live off dividends, lowering your tax rate in the process as well, and also being able to walk away at any time. Not just to go and travel (knowing everything is secure), but also if you just want to move to another location that might be better for you.

DH and I talked about this the other day. We actually really like renting. The place we had our eye on from day 1 when we came here has some available. Unfortunately, it's currently beyond our means, but it's not that far. So, in a little while, we'll be able to move there. It has about 70 million amenities (parking in town being a huge one), and is a two block walk to work. It's a 15 minute drive to DS's school. Seriously, it's golden.

Owning it would be a hassle unless someone's looking at that as a long-term financial investment (in terms of running a property business). I used to have a lot of interest in that, but now that I know several people who run property businesses and I've seen it from the inside, I say to myself: no thanks!

I'd rather just have a nice, comfortable place to live with a good view that would be easy to walk away form if needed.
    Yeah, I'm already living off dividends, I would just be able to live substantially *better* off of dividends with the money from the house invested too. And, with a satellite uplink, you can keep an eye on your investments from anywhere in the world.

I have considered staying here and renting out my Dad's place but then I really think that being a landlord would be more hassle than it's worth.

I've also thought about extended length tourism as a way to spend the coming years. Say live for a year in one place, maybe teach some English just to get an "in" with the local community. If I liked it I might stay another year or I might move on to another place. Learn a few more languages along the way, have some grand passionate romances, and, if I ever find that "perfect" spot, maybe settle down for a while.

The piano bar piano player from my Caribbean cruise last spring has invited me to come along on his next cruise in March. The cruise line lets crew bring a friend for free. That sounds like fun. He and I had a grand flirtation going but we didn't do anything about it because there are strict rules about that that could cost him his job. But, if I were officially registered as his "friend on board", then it would not be a problem (unless of course we kept the folks in the next stateroom awake every night ).
    Last edited by Paleobird; 11-10-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    PB, I don't stop in often, but I read your journal in bits and pieces.

I wish you and your family peace, and serenity.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    PB, I don't stop in often, but I read your journal in bits and pieces.
    I wish you and your family peace, and serenity.
    Thanks, Papa.
    Wow! 14 lbs in what 6-7 weeks? Not bad at all. Keep it up. You will make those goals.

Paleobird Guest
    ^^^A spambot and not even a very original one. That's about the third time that particular quote has been skimmed and used by the spammer hordes.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Being a landlord is a challenge. I just do it via subleasing in my current business, and it's hard.

I think it sounds like a really viable option -- traveling and living for a place for a year or so. It's definitely an adventure.

Also, glad to hear about your cruise-friend. I think that's a great idea.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird,

I've been out of town and off the board for a bit... just back catching up before I'm off again.

So sorry for your loss. My absence has been for similar family reasons. It's sad because those we love will be missed, but to me it's also a good thing because they no longer have to suffer from the infirmities and indignities of the illnesses of age.

Maybe you know that with my brain issues I have followed your posts and story around MDA a good bit, and you have really motivated me and pointed me towards research that is important to my health concerns. My own health continues to recover because I have seen what can come from simply sticking to your guns day by day.

I'm glad to see you moving forward in such a positive way.
    Always inspirational!

Cori.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Being a landlord is a challenge. I just do it via subleasing in my current business, and it's hard.

I think it sounds like a really viable option -- traveling and living for a place for a year or so. It's definitely an adventure.

Also, glad to hear about your cruise-friend. I think that's a great idea.
    The house is not even listed yet and I already have two potential buyers interested. My parents and my houses are kind of a unique property. It's three buildings, my house, Dad's house, and a guest house in between, all sort of stair-stepping up a hillside. It is mid century modern style architecture with lots of redwood and glass.

I sold some of Dad's mid century modern furniture to a shop that specializes in just that and the owner of that shop is quite a fan of the original architect. A friend of his is one of the potential buyers. He is going to come by next week to take a look at it.

The other potential buyers are the couple who live across the street on our little cul de sac here. Both of them are "artistic types", he is a photographer and she is a painter. So they both have to rent studio space every month. Dad's house would lend itself beautifully to being an art studio, lots of natural light. They could both have space there and trade off being with their young son. The guy was saying, "Yeah, it would give me the chance to be home for dinner and then be able to go get some more work done". Sometimes when he is on a deadline, he doesn't get home until late in the evening. They are going to talk to their respective parents and see if they can between all of them, come up with the money to buy it. Then the two sets of grandparents would always have guest rooms available when they come to visit.

They could rent out what is now my part of the space to help defray the cost too. Then the lady proposed an interesting idea that I am considering. What if they bought it and took over the responsibility of the maintenance but I stayed on as a renter? Hmm. I will have to think about that one. It would be easy in that I wouldn't have to move my stuff.

Otoh, I'm not sure I want to stay here. I am feeling the need for a clean break and "moving on". Must think further on this.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Paleobird,

I've been out of town and off the board for a bit... just back catching up before I'm off again.

So sorry for your loss. My absence has been for similar family reasons. It's sad because those we love will be missed, but to me it's also a good thing because they no longer have to suffer from the infirmities and indignities of the illnesses of age.

Maybe you know that with my brain issues I have followed your posts and story around MDA a good bit, and you have really motivated me and pointed me towards research that is important to my health concerns. My own health continues to recover because I have seen what can come from simply sticking to your guns day by day.

I'm glad to see you moving forward in such a positive way.
    Always inspirational!

Cori.
    Hi Cori, good to "see" you.

It seems like a lot of us are dealing with similar family situations. I definitely think that my Dad did not want to linger and deliberately shut down in order to get it over with. Adult diapers are no way to live.

I'm so glad that your brain issues are doing better.

Yep, folks around here can chase after the latest potato if that makes them happy. I know what works. Consistently. Long term.