Page 147 of 306 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 147

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Heh. at least you'll have all kinds of good fermented stuff around the house.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Sending love and hugs (and scented candles?). My thoughts are with you and your dad.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    Thanks PB for taking time to reply in light of your dad's situation. I can relate. Not too long ago I sat at my dad's bedside ( we had home hospice) as we waited for his potassium to rise far enough for him to slowly fade into sleep. He had renal failure due to multiple myeloma. It was insanely hard for me as a critical care nurse so accustomed to fixing people. It was a hard time but it brought so much wisdom and understanding in the end. I hope you find the peace and acceptance I did. It is a hard path, and a lonely one even when you are surrounded by people.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Arohanui, PB. Thinking of you and checking in here often.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Robin, you darling wee thing. Your Dad will be so proud of you - he won't always be able to voice his feelings, but the familiarity, the routine, the love that you are sharing with him, is the most wonderful gift that you can do for him.
    And you will remember this time with fondness, joy, sadness and love (I am crying right now - for you), because he allowed you to share it with him, if this makes sense. Sorry I am waffling, but am sending huge hugs from over here in NZ
    and a couple for Betorg too !!! if a mostly happily married gwamma is allowed to do that ???????????

Tracy x
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Hang in there, Robin. I'm sure your Dad feels the love around him, and can understand and appreciate your excellent care, even if he doesn't always fully comprehend what's going on. I hope that can be a comfort for you both.

Hugs and encouragement from the other side of the world.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Heh. at least you'll have all kinds of good fermented stuff around the house.
    Heaps of it.

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Sending love and hugs (and scented candles?). My thoughts are with you and your dad.
    I appreciate the love and hugs but send more scented candles. I like garlic. I use a lot of it in my cooking. But when it ferments it's like a garlic factory just exploded in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Snauzoo View Post
    Thanks PB for taking time to reply in light of your dad's situation. I can relate. Not too long ago I sat at my dad's bedside ( we had home hospice) as we waited for his potassium to rise far enough for him to slowly fade into sleep. He had renal failure due to multiple myeloma. It was insanely hard for me as a critical care nurse so accustomed to fixing people. It was a hard time but it brought so much wisdom and understanding in the end. I hope you find the peace and acceptance I did. It is a hard path, and a lonely one even when you are surrounded by people.
    Thanks you. It is hard to want to just "make it all better" but the reality is that it is going to get slowly worse and then end. It's frustrating, especially trying to help him with the mental confusion. Physical pain I can do something about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Arohanui, PB. Thinking of you and checking in here often.
    Thank You Jac. You are a dear. What can you tell me about digoxin? Is it really necessary do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Robin, you darling wee thing. Your Dad will be so proud of you - he won't always be able to voice his feelings, but the familiarity, the routine, the love that you are sharing with him, is the most wonderful gift that you can do for him.
    And you will remember this time with fondness, joy, sadness and love (I am crying right now - for you), because he allowed you to share it with him, if this makes sense. Sorry I am waffling, but am sending huge hugs from over here in NZ
    and a couple for Betorg too !!! if a mostly happily married gwamma is allowed to do that ???????????

Tracy x
    Thank you Tracy. Betorq headed home yesterday so you will have to send those hugs a bit farther north to Marin where he lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Hang in there, Robin. I'm sure your Dad feels the love around him, and can understand and appreciate your excellent care, even if he doesn't always fully comprehend what's going on. I hope that can be a comfort for you both.

Hugs and encouragement from the other side of the world.
    Aw, Sigi. Now you've gone and made me get all snuffly.

Sometimes Dad is his normal old dry humored self but more and more it is like dealing with an adult sized child. The sundowning keeps starting earlier and earlier each day (around noon lately).

He doesn't know where the bathroom is in the house that he built and had lived in continuously for 60 years. Yeah. That bad.

Jac
    Digoxin? It's pretty good stuff for helping his heart to beat more effectively. It also has some major issues for the elderly - it takes longer to metabolise, so there is a risk of toxicity. This is a good site that gives you numbers to look for in dosage and blood levels. As always, it's a balancing act.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Digoxin? It's pretty good stuff for helping his heart to beat more effectively. It also has some major issues for the elderly - it takes longer to metabolise, so there is a risk of toxicity. This is a good site that gives you numbers to look for in dosage and blood levels. As always, it's a balancing act.
    Thank you Jac. It just seemed like, in the hospital, they were throwing every pill in sight at him and hoping something would work. They have taken him off the BP med (lisinopril) because, once he got back on my primal cooking and out of all the stress of the hospital environment, his BP started going way too low. Sometimes I think the doctors are just throwing darts at a board and hoping to get it right.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 10-24-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Sometimes I think the doctors are just throwing darts at a board and hoping to get it right.
    The shotgun approach - yeah. I think they also assume that someone of your Dad's age must have heaps of medical problems, so they try to medicate everything they see instead of figuring out what causes some of the symptoms. If you take stress and terrible food out of the equation, get the person to where they're happiest, include some movement and really nourishing food, lots of the 'symptoms' magically vanish.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here