Page 146 of 306 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196246 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 146

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I feel bad that I turned down an invitation to meet betorq in LA. I thought it would be weird to say hey, let's go to LA and meet some guy from the Internet. Maybe if it had been a big party with everybody I would have done it. What do you guys think of the idea of when Mark has his PrimalCon thing in April that a bunch of us descends upon Oxnard on that Saturday and have a picnic on the periphery of his event? It's a public park, after all. At events like that, as much as I like the presenters, it's the meeting and hanging with people that sometimes is even more fun.
    You'll have yet another opportunity to either meet me or turn down the offer to meet as I'll be in Pasadena for a week, hangin with the 'bois in the valle' & teaching some lil "Thai Soups & Salads" & "The Art of Natural Fermentation" classes. But you got the bf so I understand that... It's all quite an innocent offer to meet, though I might tempt you with samples of some pickled garlic or some double-fermented kefir creme cheese, hehe... But no waiting vans by curb sides , that's so 2000s. We could meet @ a cafe' or a coffee shop in the valley & your bf could be your chauffeur or whatever...

People are so strange, aren't we?

Fwiw, I'll be in Pasadena Tues evening October the 23rd, teaching my classes the 27th & 28th. Leaving for Norcal Tues morning Oct 30th so I can be rested & groomed for another wild Halloween in my rambumcious hometown of Fairfax.
    Last edited by Betorq; 10-16-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Thanks, Crabbcakes. My Dad's strokes are only "suspected" too because, since he has a pacemaker, they can't run an MRI scan on him so they have to make do with a CT scan which is not nearly as detailed so those kind of "mini-strokes" wouldn't show. But the neurologist is pretty sure that is what happened. I'm pretty sure he had another one a few days ago when he started seeing things. Today he read the same newspaper three different times over the course of the day and quoted me the same passages three different times. It's so sad to watch an intelligent mind crumble like that.
    We suspect the same with my Mima. She was incredibly sharp up until about a year and a half ago. She had a stroke one week after my wedding. There's one bright side to this -- her memory pulls up short right around the night of the wedding, which means the gray area between her and when she came out of the stroke haze is marked by a very happy event. It's not complete compensation...she's definitely "slipping", and we think she's had mini strokes between now and then that have gone undiagnosed. It took her a long time to "come back", and it was by no means complete.

But...91 years with 3 kids, 10 grandkids, and 8 great-grandkids (so far) is a hell of a run. I love her so very much, and she's lived such a colorful life, that it is very disconcerting to see her drifting away. Much harder on her children, who looked up to her as the strong-minded matriarch who could beat the pants off of anyone in Scrabble.

I take consolation in that she's surrounded by people that love her, and if the twilight is falling, at least it's falling in a nice, warm state with lots of sunshine and hummingbirds.

Ack. Sorry. I'm getting maudlin. It's not fair. It's life. It's never fair.

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    PB what a journey you and your dad are travelling together!
    Such a gift of time you have been given, the fact that you are not in full time work and can spend the time with him as required is such a gift, but I can also imagine that you are feeling quite exhausted. Can I repeat those wise words again "time belong" as a reminder that this time will never come again.
    Love and light from OZ.
    Jackie

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Hoping you are doing well!

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    Hi PB,
    I have been off the board here for a while. I read your stuff on ketosis and have question for you that anyone on this thread can answer if they know. Regarding upper limit of carbs. I took my ideal body weight in lbs and convert to kg and got 62. So that means my max carbs is 31? I have been doing a primal version of Atkins induction (using only real food, no fake stuff) and have not lost an ounce in 2 months. Sticking with 20 and getting most from raw veggies and the rest from cooked low carb veggies. Zero fruit, zero starches, safe or otherwise, only heavy cream or half and half in my coffee. Zero nuts or seeds, no artificial sweeteners since there are no proteins or low carb veggies that need sweetening. I have extremely high cholesterol, testosterone, zero estradiol, low normal thyroid function for first time in my life after going low carb, and I'm 15 years postmenopausal. I think I may need hormones fixed before weightloss. I had PCOS, and apparently that does not go away after cessation of menses, and actually can get worse once all estrogen is gone.

Wondering if I should up my carbs a teeny bit. My question is basically this - where did this formula come from? I have the Phinney and Volek book on order at amazon, so if it is in there just let me know.

There is a total dearth of info in this community for the over 65 crowd. I want to fix my health before I am forced onto Medicare. I just turned 64.

i think the tougher population is women over 60. We have a few men over 60 who are doing quite well indeed (they seem to take to it like ducks to water), but with women, it seems to be quite different.

I don't have any information that can help you, though. I didn't do the deep ketosis bit, so I have no clue there. I'm also younger (36) and I have no direct knowledge of menopause (post or otherwise) and it's impact here with diet. I honestly just do not know.

But, I do believe that one way or another, you'll figure it out. You have a clear goal in mind -- to live well as you get older. And that's more than enough to keep you motivated. You'll find the right way!

Sorry that I couldn't help, though.

---------

PB,

still thinking of you guys and hoping that you are doing well.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    snauzoo Check out "The Schwarzbein Principle II" She believes that some people need a steady amount of carbs throughout the day for metabolism and hormone issues. We are all different and have to find the right combination that will work for us. VLC hasn't worked well for me even though it does for Paleobird and others.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Ack. Sorry. I'm getting maudlin. It's not fair. It's life. It's never fair.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    PB what a journey you and your dad are travelling together!
    Such a gift of time you have been given, the fact that you are not in full time work and can spend the time with him as required is such a gift, but I can also imagine that you are feeling quite exhausted. Can I repeat those wise words again "time belong" as a reminder that this time will never come again.
    Love and light from OZ.
    Jackie
    Thank you, Jackie.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Hoping you are doing well!
    Hangin in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Snauzoo View Post
    Hi PB,
    I have been off the board here for a while. I read your stuff on ketosis and have question for you that anyone on this thread can answer if they know. Regarding upper limit of carbs. I took my ideal body weight in lbs and convert to kg and got 62. So that means my max carbs is 31? I have been doing a primal version of Atkins induction (using only real food, no fake stuff) and have not lost an ounce in 2 months. Sticking with 20 and getting most from raw veggies and the rest from cooked low carb veggies. Zero fruit, zero starches, safe or otherwise, only heavy cream or half and half in my coffee. Zero nuts or seeds, no artificial sweeteners since there are no proteins or low carb veggies that need sweetening. I have extremely high cholesterol, testosterone, zero estradiol, low normal thyroid function for first time in my life after going low carb, and I'm 15 years postmenopausal. I think I may need hormones fixed before weightloss. I had PCOS, and apparently that does not go away after cessation of menses, and actually can get worse once all estrogen is gone.

Wondering if I should up my carbs a teeny bit. My question is basically this - where did this formula come from? I have the Phinney and Volek book on order at amazon, so if it is in there just let me know.

There is a total dearth of info in this community for the over 65 crowd. I want to fix my health before I am forced onto Medicare. I just turned 64.
    31 would be the magic number according to Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet plan, but then there are lots of experts with plans. The other thing you need to take into consideration is calories. You can not just glug down a bunch of cream and think those calories don't count. Low carb allows you to feel fuller longer so that reducing calories becomes easy and not torturous. You still have to reduce calories, though. Anyone who tells you about magical metabolic advantages to low carb is selling you fairy tales.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    snauzoo Check out "The Schwarzbein Principle II" She believes that some people need a steady amount of carbs throughout the day for metabolism and hormone issues. We are all different and have to find the right combination that will work for us. VLC hasn't worked well for me even though it does for Paleobird and others.
    Yep. Lots of experts. Lots of plans.

I have been a bit occupied lately as I'm sure you can all understand. Physically I am not doing much of anything but I am still feeling pretty exhausted.

The other night at dinner Dad asked me, "Why do you keep calling me 'Dad'?"

Oh.

Then the next morning he knew exactly who I was and everything was fine. It comes and goes. The other day he took my hand and said, "I'm really sorry I forgot that you were my wife." He thought I was my Mom (I look a lot like her and she passed away at 60 so I'm not too far away from his last memories of her. Friends who knew her also have said that it's almost spooky when i answer the telephone because my voice sounds so much like hers.)

We had a neurology appointment last week and the good news is that Dad's condition has a name, "Multi Infarct Dementia". The bad news is that it doesn't get better. I had been hoping that some of the mental fogginess was caused by the heart not pumping as well as it should, therefore not getting enough oxygen all around. The neurologist said that that would cause sleepiness, muscle fatigue, dizziness, and purple feet (check, check, check and check) but not memory loss. That is all on the infarctions.

Crap.

Thank you all for being there and being so caring and supportive.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 10-21-2012 at 12:55 PM.

I'm sorry that he's struggling (and you too). But, I find it's often helpful for something to have a name, because then at least you know what is going on.

It's probably a good idea to get a care plan sorted for him going forward so that you aren't the sole provider for him.

You're still going to be his primary carer, but you're going to need help. It's ok to get help. It was hard for me to learn this one when DS was born. You really want to be there for this person, and at this point, they *really* need you.

But what is necessary for you to be able to really be there, is for you to be able to take care of yourself first. My doctor recommended at least 2 hrs of outdoor time (which you could do with your dad, too) just to have that calming effect of being otuside, nature, sunlight and good stuff on that end. we also discovered that I needed at least an hour of time to myself, and being a physical person, I needed that time to be physical.

The same is true today. DS and I now do physical things together as our play time (parkour, swimming, etc) -- which may or may not be possible with your dad (perhaps long, slow walks or playing fetch with the dog?) -- and then I spend about 45 minutes on my own doing my yoga practice daily. It just reduces a lot of stress for me.

This means you'll likely need to get people in to do things -- cleaning, perhaps cooking (consider a personal chef who might do paleo, perhaps call the local crossfit box to find someone?), and some time where another carer will be with your dad if he needs that level of someone watching out for him.

I'm thinking of you and your dad every day; this is not the easiest time, but in the end, you will long-feel the rewards of your care and time with your dad.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I'm sorry that he's struggling (and you too). But, I find it's often helpful for something to have a name, because then at least you know what is going on.

It's probably a good idea to get a care plan sorted for him going forward so that you aren't the sole provider for him.

You're still going to be his primary carer, but you're going to need help. It's ok to get help. It was hard for me to learn this one when DS was born. You really want to be there for this person, and at this point, they *really* need you.

But what is necessary for you to be able to really be there, is for you to be able to take care of yourself first. My doctor recommended at least 2 hrs of outdoor time (which you could do with your dad, too) just to have that calming effect of being otuside, nature, sunlight and good stuff on that end. we also discovered that I needed at least an hour of time to myself, and being a physical person, I needed that time to be physical.

The same is true today. DS and I now do physical things together as our play time (parkour, swimming, etc) -- which may or may not be possible with your dad (perhaps long, slow walks or playing fetch with the dog?) -- and then I spend about 45 minutes on my own doing my yoga practice daily. It just reduces a lot of stress for me.

This means you'll likely need to get people in to do things -- cleaning, perhaps cooking (consider a personal chef who might do paleo, perhaps call the local crossfit box to find someone?), and some time where another carer will be with your dad if he needs that level of someone watching out for him.

I'm thinking of you and your dad every day; this is not the easiest time, but in the end, you will long-feel the rewards of your care and time with your dad.
    Thanks Zoe

Yes, I know that I need some help. Right now I am in a kind of limbo state because things have been changing so quickly with my Dad's state of mind that I'm sort of waiting until some sort of 'baseline" can be established so that we can know how much care he needs. A couple of weeks ago I would have said that it would be perfectly OK to leave him on his own for a few hours while i went and did stuff like marketing or took a walk. Then i leave to go to my house (gone maybe 5-10 minutes) and I come back to find my Dad barefoot and sans walker trying to head out the front gate to go get the mail (It's a long steep driveway. He would have pitched head first straight down it.)

I have come to an arrangement with my housekeeper who has also done nanny and elder care work to come in once a week. As soon as Betorq leaves next week, she is going to do one last cleaning of my house and then I will really "move in" down here at Dad's. Then we can get on the weekly schedule. Right now I'm kind of in transition between the two with a few bits and pieces of clothing etc. down here. Betorq has his stuff all over the place at my house and I can't find anything right now. No only that but my house is going to reek of fermented garlic and pickle juice for months after he leaves. Something to remember him by.