Page 145 of 306 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195245 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 145

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    That's awesome news! The anger and hitting out seems so logical to me - when people are afraid and confused, most of us will respond that way. Unfortunately it's often pathologised rather than being viewed as a healthy response. Deal with the fear and helplessness, the anger usually goes away. There's often a 'cascade of interventions' happening, meaning that one intervention, usually a drug, will have a consequence that seems to call for another intervention, then another, then another. In the end, all you see are the problems caused by the 'help'. It's always a struggle to find that balance between what's absolutely needed, and the point that tips over into preventable problems. Good on you for working out the balance for your Dad between being calm and safe, and being helpless.
    Thanks, Jac. "A cascade of interventions". That is the best way of describing it I have heard. You will be pleased to know that he is off the Seroquel entirely at this point and sleeping like a baby.
    His doctor also took him off the bP med (lisinopril) they gave him in the hospital because his BP has come back down since getting home in calm surroundings with healthy food. His BP was actually getting a bit too low so she overruled the cardiologist on this one and took him off of it. So he is still on the Cumadin and Amiodarone and a diuretic but she also reduced the last one to every other day. So, fewer pills all the time. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    I'm glad things seem to be looking up, Robin. Give your Dad and Betorq a hug for me. And one for you too!
    I know, I know. You'd rather hug Betorq

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I feel bad that I turned down an invitation to meet betorq in LA. I thought it would be weird to say hey, let's go to LA and meet some guy from the Internet. Maybe if it had been a big party with everybody I would have done it. What do you guys think of the idea of when Mark has his PrimalCon thing in April that a bunch of us descends upon Oxnard on that Saturday and have a picnic on the periphery of his event? It's a public park, after all. At events like that, as much as I like the presenters, it's the meeting and hanging with people that sometimes is even more fun.
    That sound like a great idea.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You will be pleased to know that he is off the Seroquel entirely at this point and sleeping like a baby.
    Pleased, relieved, downright thrilled. That's such great news.

Hey, is Betorq as cute in real life as he is in his avatar?
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    If only every cloud in life had a Betorq...
    Needless to say, I'm glad your clouds are interspersed with sunshine.
    Sending loving thoughts for a continued recovery.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    That is really great news! How is the confusion going? Is he feeling better there?

Also, I can make a yoga sequence to practice in a hallway (so he can work balance) if you/he would be interested.

Paleobird Guest
    Pleased, relieved, downright thrilled. That's such great news.

Hey, is Betorq as cute in real life as he is in his avatar?
    Thanks, Jac. And yes, he is.

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    If only every cloud in life had a Betorq...
    Needless to say, I'm glad your clouds are interspersed with sunshine.
    Sending loving thoughts for a continued recovery.
    Thank you badgergirl. I would like to have a time sometime in the future when i would be able to have the mental and emotional 'time' for really being with Betorq but for now, he is just being a really good friend and helping out where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    That is really great news! How is the confusion going? Is he feeling better there?

Also, I can make a yoga sequence to practice in a hallway (so he can work balance) if you/he would be interested.
    Things were going really well until yesterday when the mental confusion took a marked turn for the worse. He started seeing things and people that were not there. Yep. Hallucinations. Yikes. This reminds me of what my grandmother went through in her last few months when she had a cluster of mini-strokes. She saw an entire marching band come through the living room. Dad was seeing football matches taking place in the neighbor's yard. The vacant house. There was nobody there. He kept getting up in the middle of the night every hour or so and turning on a bunch of lights and re-arranging things. He was also walking around without his walker. This is scary. I don't want him to have a fall and end up spending his twilight in a hospital bed attached to all kinds of tubes, wires and needles.

I think i am going to put him back on a low dose of the Seroquel (25 mg sound good, Jac?) just so he can be zonked out enough to sleep through the night.

Thank you for the offer on the yoga, Zoe, but, at this point, things are changing so fast that it is hard to tell what he could do or would even understand. He doesn't even know where he is half the time.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    My husband's great aunt (his favorite aunt) suffered what her doctors suspected were mini strokes, and she also saw things that weren't there. I say suspected, because as a lifelong devoted Christian Scientist, she only wanted care from their practitioners, which request my MIL honored as those arrangements were in writing and reiterated all of this aunt's life.

I've been thinking of you both and know this tough on both of you. Hugs and blessings.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I think i am going to put him back on a low dose of the Seroquel (25 mg sound good, Jac?) just so he can be zonked out enough to sleep through the night.
    25mg is a good place to start. He seemed to be doing OK on 50mg, so you have some movement there.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Oh man. Sounds like the fecal matter hit the rotary impeller while I was out. I'm sorry to hear about your woes, PB, but glad your dad is out of the hospital.

My grandma was admitted last year to Sharps for heart trouble (she's 91, a little frail, but otherwise fine now). They brought her a meal while I was sitting with her. It was a disaster on a plate. Pork loin (which had all the fat cut off), marinara sauce (on pork loin? whyyyy?), margarine (seriously?), non-fat salad dressing full of soybean oil and HFCS (ugh), and a wheat roll. I think there was also a steamed veggie. My Mima didn't eat the margarine and refused the salad dressing, and I told her if she stayed in much longer I'd be forced to sneak in some olive oil and vinegar.

Anyway, glad he's home and glad things are looking up. Take care.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Robin, I came back to MDA after a hiatus and was getting very excited at your Dad's improvement until I got to the post about your Dad's turn for the worse on Saturday. My thoughts are with you and I do so hope things get better.

Thinking of you... (and give that lamb Betorq a hug from me, too!)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    My husband's great aunt (his favorite aunt) suffered what her doctors suspected were mini strokes, and she also saw things that weren't there. I say suspected, because as a lifelong devoted Christian Scientist, she only wanted care from their practitioners, which request my MIL honored as those arrangements were in writing and reiterated all of this aunt's life.

I've been thinking of you both and know this tough on both of you. Hugs and blessings.
    Thanks, Crabbcakes. My Dad's strokes are only "suspected" too because, since he has a pacemaker, they can't run an MRI scan on him so they have to make do with a CT scan which is not nearly as detailed so those kind of "mini-strokes" wouldn't show. But the neurologist is pretty sure that is what happened. I'm pretty sure he had another one a few days ago when he started seeing things. Today he read the same newspaper three different times over the course of the day and quoted me the same passages three different times. It's so sad to watch an intelligent mind crumble like that.

25mg is a good place to start. He seemed to be doing OK on 50mg, so you have some movement there.
    The 25 seems to have worked well the past two nights in that he was able to sleep without getting up and fussing about. So we both were able to get some sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Oh man. Sounds like the fecal matter hit the rotary impeller while I was out. I'm sorry to hear about your woes, PB, but glad your dad is out of the hospital.

My grandma was admitted last year to Sharps for heart trouble (she's 91, a little frail, but otherwise fine now). They brought her a meal while I was sitting with her. It was a disaster on a plate. Pork loin (which had all the fat cut off), marinara sauce (on pork loin? whyyyy?), margarine (seriously?), non-fat salad dressing full of soybean oil and HFCS (ugh), and a wheat roll. I think there was also a steamed veggie. My Mima didn't eat the margarine and refused the salad dressing, and I told her if she stayed in much longer I'd be forced to sneak in some olive oil and vinegar.

Anyway, glad he's home and glad things are looking up. Take care.
    Thanks, Steph. Hospital food is a crime against humanity. I'm glad your grandmother is better despite the hospital's tender loving care.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    Robin, I came back to MDA after a hiatus and was getting very excited at your Dad's improvement until I got to the post about your Dad's turn for the worse on Saturday. My thoughts are with you and I do so hope things get better.

Thinking of you... (and give that lamb Betorq a hug from me, too!)
    Oh, now, if I give Betorq all the hugs you ladies want me too, I will be doing nothing but hugging him all day. Hmm. Not such a bad idea......