Page 14 of 306 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 14

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yes, most people learn what the right portion is.

the trouble with cruises is that people tend to be more sedentary on them (usually accidentally), and with this, the food is very tasty but not knowing the ingredients, the portion sizes-to-calories gets a bit mucked. Add to that the fun of alcohol and desserts, plus also just an increase in salt, and voila! recipe for 10-15 lbs easy.

most everyone i know who cruises comes back having gained at least 5 lbs -- including my ILs, and they have major food/control issues. my FIL always has a heart episode on the trips. He's supposed to avoid caffeine, or he has a heart episode. But for some reason, he thinks that going on holiday means that he can have it. So he invariably does have a lot of caffeine (coffee, then a soda, and then sometimes with a rich, chocolate dessert), which lands him in the infirmary.

people do that. it's weird.

but even people whom I know who wouldn't do that (like yourself) still have no clue how much salt/sugar/butter might be in a given dish, to really eye-ball the calories, you know? So, yeah. Definitely happens.

Paleobird Guest
    Yep. And mine was a five week one. Also on the ship you don't know what kind of oil they are using, probably the cheapest junk possible. And everything seems to be drown in a sauce which contains who knows what.

I really was good about staying away from the sweets and grains. The cheeses however were a real temptation. I do better with raw dairy and this was confirmed my how stuffed up I felt in my sinuses after eating cheese plates for dessert and nibbling cheese with the wine tasting events.

But the biggest culprit is the booze. I stuck to red wine and the occasional martini. They had a whole list of "designer martinis" that were just decadent. One was called a Pomegranate Ginger Drop. You could almost fool yourself into thinking that that was healthy if it weren't for all the sugar in it. My other favorite was the Espresso Martini which was vanilla flavored vodka, a smidge of Curacao and a shot of espresso. Oh my. It was like doing drugs. The combo of coffee and booze was dangerous. I had two of those one evening and then was lying in bed awake until 3am with my heart going thump!,thump!,thump!

that'll do it for sure. my friend makes home-made pom-ginger drops. I would drink them if the alcohol didn't burn.

i have food poisoning. bad sushi. :P ryan keeps cooking and i gag every time. I'm like "eat the food, eat it! get the smell away!

So terrible.

thankfully, i have enough subs to cover classes.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    that'll do it for sure. my friend makes home-made pom-ginger drops. I would drink them if the alcohol didn't burn.

i have food poisoning. bad sushi. :P ryan keeps cooking and i gag every time. I'm like "eat the food, eat it! get the smell away!

So terrible.

thankfully, i have enough subs to cover classes.
    Yikes! No fun at all. BTDT. Feel better soon.

Paleobird Guest
    I have a serious First World Primal problem. I asked my meat CSA to save all the marrow bones they could muster for me. In past months this has been couple of pounds each time. This time they notified me that there is 50 pounds worth there and that they will give me a discount on my other purchase if I will take all of them. They are too yummy to pass up and evidently no one else wants them but me.

OMG. Where am I going to put 50 pounds of marrow bones? I need to buy a freezer chest.

yes, sounds like you do need a freezer chest! LOL we're considering one too.

I am feeling better today. I'm able to keep passionfruit ice cream (which is passion fruit, avocado, and banana all whirled together) down, and water and peppermint tea down, so that is much happiness. I might even eat eggs later today.

how are your workouts going? i finally got my left lat rehabbed enough to work on chins and one-armed chins again.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I have a serious First World Primal problem. I asked my meat CSA to save all the marrow bones they could muster for me. In past months this has been couple of pounds each time. This time they notified me that there is 50 pounds worth there and that they will give me a discount on my other purchase if I will take all of them. They are too yummy to pass up and evidently no one else wants them but me.

OMG. Where am I going to put 50 pounds of marrow bones? I need to buy a freezer chest.
    I can help with that.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    yes, sounds like you do need a freezer chest! LOL we're considering one too.

I am feeling better today. I'm able to keep passionfruit ice cream (which is passion fruit, avocado, and banana all whirled together) down, and water and peppermint tea down, so that is much happiness. I might even eat eggs later today.

how are your workouts going? i finally got my left lat rehabbed enough to work on chins and one-armed chins again.
    I'm glad you're feeling better. That passionfruit ice cream sounds delightful.

I have really been slacking on my workouts lately but I've been losing weight quite rapidly. I'm down to 153 with 145 as the goal. Maybe I will concentrate on getting the weight off first and then workout more. I don't think I'll ever do one armed chins but I'll try for the two armed kind.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    I can help with that.
    My marrow bones <slaps your hand> Get your own.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know that, for myself, movement is key. if i eat the same way that i do right now, and don't get as much movement as i need, then i get pudgers. But if i do, then I don't get pudgers. And honestly, even if I eat terribly - and i mean well off primal -- if i'm not moving, i get pudgers. but if i am moving, then no worries.

It's why I always bring it up. LOL Who knows if it makes a difference for anyone else.

But hey only 8 lbs to go! you'll get that off in no time for sure.