Page 136 of 306 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186236 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 136

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    Just stopping by to say hello. Took a quick look at some of the posts and felt like I was stepping in where I don't belong, LOL... In any case, have a great day!
    You are most welcome at the Birdnest anytime. I was very impressed with your journal so far. You are just starting out but you really look like you are going to do well.

To anyone who hasn't read it, this guy's journal is the the one about "Your Dad is so fat", a well told tale of the things children say that can sometimes make us see things a different way.

Paleobird Guest
    I had scallops cooked in a lot of kerrygold garlic herb butter for dinner.

Lately my meals have been more random and not so photo worthy. When I cook for Dad, I feel the need to present a "balanced meal" with all the pretty veggies, etc. Since Dad hasn't been feeling up to walking up the street to my house I have been going down the street to his house and putting together dinners that he likes. He likes rice with his veggies and low fat proteins like chicken and fish. I do sneak in some fat like creamed kale and such.

He doesn't really like big meaty steaks and such that I like. He says that his old teeth just aren't sharp enough to chew through them anymore. He likes things like salmon patties and crabcakes that I can make in batches and freeze.

There are also a lot of quick to prepare dinners out there for lazy cooks that still come out looking like lovely meals such as frozen bacon wrapped shrimp. Just heat directly from frozen in the toaster oven. I steam some broccoli in the micro and add some precooked rice and the meal looks like a culinary masterpiece but it tool like ten minutes to fix.

I have been letting my Dad have some treats lately too like some chocolate covered almonds on the one condition that he only gets 6/day. I don't see the point in making him eat any way other than what he likes as long as it is clean and Primal.

So he and I end up having separate meals. I sit with him while he eats and have a cup of tea or something and then go make my own random keto food later. Pate' on fatbread and such.

I've been having some really weird swings in my eating. Some days I will chow through 2000 calories and others I can't eat another bite after 500. The randomness actually seems to be doing good things for my weight loss.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-25-2012 at 11:21 PM.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I've been having some really weird swings in my eating. Some days I will chow through 2000 calories and others I can't eat another bite after 500. The randomness actually seems to be doing good things for my weight loss.

Very interesting, I wonder if this is a hold-over from your fast a few weeks back? Also! this made me remember the UK reporter who did the research into fasting. If I remember correctly, the scientist he spoke with in the mid-west (Michigan?) mentioned alternate day fasting like this was good for you. 500 calories one day, unlimited calories the next.

Sounds like you've just kind of fallen into the alternate day fasting pattern. Kind of good.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I love your carnivorous appetite
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Shrimp and bacon sounds pretty good. I bet it would go great with creamed chard, if only I could make it. There has been no raw cream at the market for weeks now. I don't want the ultrapasteurized stuff. I'm going to have to get the pasteurized kind, I guess. I thought maybe I could use marscapone cheese like cream but it melts into oil, which is really strange. It does make creamy coffee, though.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    Very interesting, I wonder if this is a hold-over from your fast a few weeks back? Also! this made me remember the UK reporter who did the research into fasting. If I remember correctly, the scientist he spoke with in the mid-west (Michigan?) mentioned alternate day fasting like this was good for you. 500 calories one day, unlimited calories the next.

Sounds like you've just kind of fallen into the alternate day fasting pattern. Kind of good.
    Yeah I think I kind of have just fallen into it naturally. It's rather Grokian. Pig out one day when there is a kill and just pick on a few scraps in between.

Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    I love your carnivorous appetite
    Hi Bennett. Welcome. I really like the stuff that Dr. Ellis is saying. Thanks for posting the link to his stuff. As long as I avoid the video of him talking about homeopathy (IMO woo-sci) the rest of what he is saying about diet and exercise makes a lot of sense. I really wanted to tell you, however, to please tone it down when telling anyone who doesn't agree with Dr Ellis that they are "idiots" and such. You're just pissing people off and that's not a good way to get folks to listen to the message. I value your contributions to this forum but try to play nice, OK?

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Shrimp and bacon sounds pretty good. I bet it would go great with creamed chard, if only I could make it. There has been no raw cream at the market for weeks now. I don't want the ultrapasteurized stuff. I'm going to have to get the pasteurized kind, I guess. I thought maybe I could use marscapone cheese like cream but it melts into oil, which is really strange. It does make creamy coffee, though.
    Cream cheese works if you nuke it a little to get it warm first. Labne kefir cheese also works with a little yogurty tang. Ya. mascarpone is just about pure fat.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    hes a smart dude, really changed my life. but I will sorry, that guy forgotmylastusername really urks me lol. i'll be nice

btw you should watch his video where he goes over the word "healthy" its really humorous
    Last edited by BennettC; 09-26-2012 at 11:34 AM.
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

froggie is offline Member
    Wow, your journal is a savant mix of wisdom, documented research and heartfelt diary confessions.
    I wish you all the best, and much strength & energy to enjoy your time with your dad.

(I can relate to the comment you made the other day; it's not losing the marbles which is hardest, but realizing the marbles aren't all there anymore.)

So how long have you been in ketosis then? (sorry I haven't ready your entire journal yet!)

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    hes a smart dude, really changed my life. but I will sorry, that guy forgotmylastusername really urks me lol. i'll be nice
    btw you should watch his video where he goes over the word "healthy" its really humorous
    forgotmylastusername could use some advice about playing nice too.
    Dr Ellis is very interesting. I haven't bought his book yet but from what I'm reading he is not advocating a strict ZC diet. The figure I heard him say in one of his youtubes was something like 10% carbs. I already do that with my epilepsy keto protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post
    Wow, your journal is a savant mix of wisdom, documented research and heartfelt diary confessions.
    I wish you all the best, and much strength & energy to enjoy your time with your dad.

(I can relate to the comment you made the other day; it's not losing the marbles which is hardest, but realizing the marbles aren't all there anymore.)

So how long have you been in ketosis then? (sorry I haven't ready your entire journal yet!)
    I have been in and out of ketosis for three years but I have been consciously monitoring it and staying in steady state nutritional ketosis since the first of August (I jumped in on the August Whole 30 and took it a little farther).

My sister arrived today and is staying for a week. She hasn't seen my Dad in over a year and it is really hard for her to see the changes. I see them a little bit each day, she's getting it all at once. I have kept her updated by phone but that's not really the same thing as being there.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Good luck settling the sister in! I'm wondering if she staying at your place or your dads? Maybe at a hotel, that would be least stressful...