Page 133 of 306 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 133

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    we are getting our car fixed today. they have mobile mechanics here. who knew? anyway, the guy is bringing stuff for the fan and stuff for the eletrical/battery, because that's what we think is going on. estimate is around $500 for the labor and stuff, and he's a friend of a friend, so that might work out.

otherwise, I think we're going with a smaller hatch-back next time, rather than station wagon. I think more fuel efficiency overall. the civic or fit or something similar in a small hatchback.

hatchbacks, all the rage in NZ.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I think the ONE thing we miss that we left behind in the states was our Pruis. These days, I wish we'd just had it brought over. LOL Would have cost us a fortune, but still. Probably less than what it would cost us to buy a new prius (which comes in at $40k+ here).
    Congrats on your new car. The prius is cool.
    Thank. With the two trade ins I got it down to 15k so that is not bad. It really handels nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    I like reading your journal about life with Dad. You know my experiences with mine have been, erm, "difficult", and I like seeing that it is real-life possible to have a wonderful reciprocal relationship (not just a "dutiful" one like many have), like you have with yours. I already know that Hubby and I are doing it a thousand times better with our Crabblets, but I really work all the time to have a right relationship with ours so that they will WANT to know us and be with us when we get up there in the decade count. Back when I was a practicing Mormon, here is what we were quoted often: "No other success can compensate for failure in the home." (David O. McKay - former President of the Church who died in 1970), and the longer I live, the more I believe it.

Whatever is in store for you and Dad, you will be at peace knowing you both did it well and truly right.
    That is a very wise quote regardless of religious affiliation. My Dad has been my rock for all these years. It is my turn to be his. It feels like the natural order of things, not any imposition.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I built a website for some grad students who did research on what cars are both economically and environmentally friendly. The Tesla was the most environmentally friendly overall but never the most economical (<-- understatement of the year). Small ordinary gas cars often won both categories, cars like the Focus or Civic. So if anybody has a car like that, you can feel proud.

Years ago I was hiking with the Sierra Club and Ronald Reagan's nurse was on the hike. She told us about how he was doing. I can't imagine anything more awful than having been the President of the United States and having done so many interesting things in life all to end life not remembering any of it.
    Physical infirmity is scary but losing the marbles is seriously terrifying. My Dad is just at that point now where he has enough marbles left to realize that he is missing some. I can only imagine how frightening and frustrating that must be.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    we are getting our car fixed today. they have mobile mechanics here. who knew? anyway, the guy is bringing stuff for the fan and stuff for the eletrical/battery, because that's what we think is going on. estimate is around $500 for the labor and stuff, and he's a friend of a friend, so that might work out.

otherwise, I think we're going with a smaller hatch-back next time, rather than station wagon. I think more fuel efficiency overall. the civic or fit or something similar in a small hatchback.

hatchbacks, all the rage in NZ.
    I like the hatchback design on the Prius. You can really fit a lot back there with the back seats folded down.

Today I went and got the new car insured and took the stray back seat from my old car (The Rav 4 has the kind that pop out instead of folding flat) that was in my garage to the car dealership and said, "Um, I think you might want this before you try to sell the car." I can't believe neither the salesman nor myself noticed that it was out yesterday. Derp.

Today was the day of a thousand errands, lots of little stuff I've been not getting around to while needing to hover over my Dad. Car stuff plus taking my broken camera in for fixing, doing some grocery shopping, trying to find a good rolling walker for my Dad. I am also in search of a decent pair of flip-flops. Unfortunately all the shoe stores are putting out their fall lines of fuzzy boots. This is San Diego, folks. Flip- flops should be on sale all year long. Urg. Shopping is tiring.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    PB, Kenneth Cole flip flops are awesome with a tiny little heel, 1/4", quite pretty,
    also Born makes a good one, very comfortable, but TEVA my fave this yr.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Try the thrift store. In my area at least one of the drug stores will donate all the leftover flip-flops to Good Will. They aren't top quality, but it'll get you through. And you never know what else there might be. Otherwise, try the surf shops.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    PB, Kenneth Cole flip flops are awesome with a tiny little heel, 1/4", quite pretty,
    also Born makes a good one, very comfortable, but TEVA my fave this yr.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Try the thrift store. In my area at least one of the drug stores will donate all the leftover flip-flops to Good Will. They aren't top quality, but it'll get you through. And you never know what else there might be. Otherwise, try the surf shops.
    You really have to try flip flops on rather than buy them on the net. You never can tell where something is going to rub you the wrong way from a picture. Teva makes very nice shoes. I have some wedge heeled sandals of theirs that are surprisingly comfortable for having a heel.

I'm looking for hard soled flip flops and it seems like all I'm finding are the soft mushy ones.

Surf shops down by the beach is a good idea. I think I'll take the dog for a walk and multitask.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You really have to try flip flops on rather than buy them on the net. You never can tell where something is going to rub you the wrong way from a picture. Teva makes very nice shoes. I have some wedge heeled sandals of theirs that are surprisingly comfortable for having a heel.

I'm looking for hard soled flip flops and it seems like all I'm finding are the soft mushy ones.

Surf shops down by the beach is a good idea. I think I'll take the dog for a walk and multitask.
    I bought my Kenneth Cole's at Nordstroms.. but, like you say, they may be gone until next spring.
    Smart Dogs another great one, got beige ones on now. I ordered from their website, 8.5 always works for me.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    PB, I'm just catching up now and am I sorry about the development with your father. Sending warm thoughts your way.
    Last edited by KerryK; 09-22-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Derned phone

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird,

I just want to let you know how much your diaries and Moar Fat threads have helped me in my primal journey. I'm 1 year older than you and your contributions (and others) have been invaluable to me sticking with this, making tweaks, and finding success with this lifestyle that didn't come to me immediately. Your counting calories and tracking advice was really hard for me to accept, but I kept coming back to it when I went months and months with no weight loss. So I FINALLY started tracking.. and wow. It's probably the single one thing that has helped me start getting the scale moving downward again.

Now ...the upping the fat, embracing ketosis, while keeping calories in check advice has also been tremendously valuable. I'm cycling rather than staying in ketosis 100% of the time, but overall, I'm 10 lbs lighter, thanks to your advice.

My father has alzheimers. He's in early stages.. which is good, but the future is grim. Your post about your dad also resonate.

Anyway - thanks for your openness. I'm still a bit jealous of your photos.. but I wanted you to know how much you help others around here.

-Kristin

jacmac is online now Senior Member
    Paleobird,

so sorry to hear about your dads health challenges.

It does sound like you are using all your life skills to handle this time. A very dear friend of mine has a saying that I often turn to and that is 'TIME BELONG'. This is such a reminder that now is the time for insert event or situation. I find this gives me permission to live the experience and focus on the gifts of the event as well as the challenges.

Sending love and light from Australia to you and your dad.
    Jackie

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    I bought my Kenneth Cole's at Nordstroms.. but, like you say, they may be gone until next spring.
    Smart Dogs another great one, got beige ones on now. I ordered from their website, 8.5 always works for me.
    Finally today, RiteAid Pharmacy to the rescue. I was in there to get some printer paper and noticed they had flip flops. Got some perfect ones, just plain black (don't need beads, feathers, or sparkly things on my feet) and very comfortable with a flat hard sole. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    PB, I'm just catching up now and am I sorry about the development with your father. Sending warm thoughts your way.
    Thank you, Kerry. My online "family" support means a lot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Credodisi View Post
    Paleobird,

I just want to let you know how much your diaries and Moar Fat threads have helped me in my primal journey. I'm 1 year older than you and your contributions (and others) have been invaluable to me sticking with this, making tweaks, and finding success with this lifestyle that didn't come to me immediately. Your counting calories and tracking advice was really hard for me to accept, but I kept coming back to it when I went months and months with no weight loss. So I FINALLY started tracking.. and wow. It's probably the single one thing that has helped me start getting the scale moving downward again.

Now ...the upping the fat, embracing ketosis, while keeping calories in check advice has also been tremendously valuable. I'm cycling rather than staying in ketosis 100% of the time, but overall, I'm 10 lbs lighter, thanks to your advice.

My father has alzheimers. He's in early stages.. which is good, but the future is grim. Your post about your dad also resonate.

Anyway - thanks for your openness. I'm still a bit jealous of your photos.. but I wanted you to know how much you help others around here.

-Kristin
    Oh, Kristin, thank you. This is the kind of note that makes it all worth doing. Knowing that I could help someone else. I'm so glad it is working for you too. I'm so sorry about your Dad. I think there are a lot of us baby boomers dealing with elder care right now. {{{{HUGS}}}}

Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    Paleobird,

so sorry to hear about your dads health challenges.

It does sound like you are using all your life skills to handle this time. A very dear friend of mine has a saying that I often turn to and that is 'TIME BELONG'. This is such a reminder that now is the time for insert event or situation. I find this gives me permission to live the experience and focus on the gifts of the event as well as the challenges.

Sending love and light from Australia to you and your dad.
    Jackie
    Thank you, Jackie. Yes, that is a good way of looking at it. Dad and I are working together to address some of the challenges like I just ordered one of those rollators for him (sort of a rolling walker with handles and a fold down seat). With that he could get out and about more and not be stuck going stir crazy in the house. He is just too unsteady on his feet now. He goes around the house with one hand on a wall or a sofa for balance but outside he feels insecure. This would also give him a place to sit down and rest if needed. I was thinking he could come with me to the park where I sometimes run wind sprints. We could have a little walk and then he could sit down and watch me do my sprints.

Yes, challenges and gifts, you're right. The gift in this situation is the time we get to spend together and the closeness. Dad has never been particularly good at expressing feeling so he really took me by surprise tonight by saying, "I want you to know that I really appreciate all the tender loving care you have been giving me." I just about cried.