Page 13 of 306 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 13

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    exactly so.

there's nothing wrong with tracking calories, or even weight, or what have you. I mean, I measure my waist at least once a week just to see how i'm doing. Also, if i'm "feeling fat" for whatever reason, I measure my waist and I'm normally 26-27 inches, and so I usually discover that I'm right there and have no reason to be irrational about things. Then I try to figure out what I'm really upset about, and deal with that instead.

I think that most people here would do well to do the basics. We all know what those are. Avoid the certain foods that primal avoids. Get the basic ratios that PB asserts in the right caloric amounts (tracking helps with this). Get the movement and rest needed. Get the rest needed.

Honestly, it's such a nice, simple program. I don't get why people complicate it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Honestly, it's such a nice, simple program. I don't get why people complicate it.
    Because it gives them something to argue about on the internet.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Arguing on the internet is fun. Counting calories is not. Knowing you will have to do it the rest of your f*cking life really is downright depressing. Sometimes I think it would be more satisfying just to be fat and say 'F*ck it.'

bleh, now I am sounding like a little biatch.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Paleobird Guest
    I find arguing on the internet to be way more tedious than counting calories but I suppose that is a matter of personal preference. Tinkering with my intake and ratios to me is fun. It's like a science project with me as the test subject.

That said, I do agree that counting every single calorie for life would suck. But that's not necessary. I stopped for a long time. I've only taken it back up again as a temporary post Caribbean booze cruise course correction.

Understood. Arguing on the internet fills dead space at work. Counting calories makes me think about food, which eh, has it's good points I guess.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I tend to like both.

I also don't think it's necessary "forever." Like, it's good when you have a specific goal that you want to reach and it will help with that, and once you have the hang of it, then you don't NEED to unless you WANT to. And then if you gain a bit -- say some lbs or some inches or whatever -- then you can go back to being more strict, and so on.

I don't mind arguing on the internet. Sometimes it is fun. Sometimes it is ridiculous.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Understood. Arguing on the internet fills dead space at work. Counting calories makes me think about food, which eh, has it's good points I guess.
    I think this is the case for a lot of people around here. I wonder how much of the world's potential collective productivity is being spent goofing off on the internet. If you really have otherwise unproductive time, cool, why not? But it is a lot easier to look like you are busily working at something important with your fingers on the keyboard than if you were playing solitaire.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I tend to like both.

I also don't think it's necessary "forever." Like, it's good when you have a specific goal that you want to reach and it will help with that, and once you have the hang of it, then you don't NEED to unless you WANT to. And then if you gain a bit -- say some lbs or some inches or whatever -- then you can go back to being more strict, and so on.

I don't mind arguing on the internet. Sometimes it is fun. Sometimes it is ridiculous.
    Right. It also helps you get a good feel for portion sizes so that when you stop strictly counting you can still make an accurate "eyeball" guess about how much is enough.

My weight didn't bounce up at all after I stopped counting until I went on that darned cruise.

True. Sometimes the back and forth can be a lot of fun and it is even informative sometimes. I think you just have to get more selective about picking and choosing your battles (and your opponents, there is just no talking reason to some people).

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I think this is the case for a lot of people around here. I wonder how much of the world's potential collective productivity is being spent goofing off on the internet. If you really have otherwise unproductive time, cool, why not? But it is a lot easier to look like you are busily working at something important with your fingers on the keyboard than if you were playing solitaire.

And truth be told, I multi-task very well, and working on any one thing is rather dull. The one exception to this is reading, which is an activity I like to focus on (reading a book that is). I am quite capable of posting here while completing any work I might have to do in the office. Doing both at the same time or while on the phone/emailing/doing training/whatever actually stops me from going insane.

Paleobird Guest
    Well that's a good thing if you can maintain your sanity, Canio. You are delightfully batty as it is. We wouldn't want you going completely off the deep end.