Page 128 of 306 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178228 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 128

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    97 in Santa Barbara, according to the car thermometer. I spent the day in the shade near the ocean.
    It must be nice to live as close to the ocean as you do. I live fairly close. It gets seriously hot in the eastern sections of the county out where my favorite hiking trails are.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Thanks. Ha! The Zone of Misery! I think I called it the 'grey area' in my journal. I didn't know it had a name.

Quies is offline Senior Member
    Upper 80s here for the foreseeable future. Rainy season is keeping the storms racing through and the temperatures reasonable.

Oh! It just started raining again.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Thanks. Ha! The Zone of Misery! I think I called it the 'grey area' in my journal. I didn't know it had a name.
    Yep. That is a term coined by Dr. Peter Attia of The Eating Academy (located right here in lovely San Diego BTW). That describes it quite well, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Quies View Post
    Upper 80s here for the foreseeable future. Rainy season is keeping the storms racing through and the temperatures reasonable.

Oh! It just started raining again.
    It would actually feel nice to get some rain. It's bone dry here.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    It must be nice to live as close to the ocean as you do. I live fairly close. It gets seriously hot in the eastern sections of the county out where my favorite hiking trails are.
    We live 5 minutes from Calafia State Beach. It is still hot as balls in our un-airconditioned gully-facing condo.

The house we're moving to has A/C, though. We went over tonight to unpack some things and install new faucets. We did, in fact, cool the place down to 76 before we were through. Coming back to the condo with its crap carpet and terribly outdated appliances is getting harder and harder. One...more...week.....

Quies is offline Senior Member
    It would actually feel nice to get some rain. It's bone dry here.
    Well, you do live in a desert. We get about 52" of rain a year and 80% of it comes May-October, which means rain almost every day this time of year.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, nice weather in Santa Babs if you can find the right micro-climate to hang out in.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    We live 5 minutes from Calafia State Beach. It is still hot as balls in our un-airconditioned gully-facing condo.

The house we're moving to has A/C, though. We went over tonight to unpack some things and install new faucets. We did, in fact, cool the place down to 76 before we were through. Coming back to the condo with its crap carpet and terribly outdated appliances is getting harder and harder. One...more...week.....
    I'm glad you're making that move. Much more comfortable for yo and Nubbin.

Quote Originally Posted by Quies View Post
    Well, you do live in a desert. We get about 52" of rain a year and 80% of it comes May-October, which means rain almost every day this time of year.
    Yes, we do. That must get a little monotonous to have rain every day. Here rain is an event like , "Oh boy! It's raining!"

Yeah, nice weather in Santa Babs if you can find the right micro-climate to hang out in.
    Yeah it does vary a lot like onalark was saying her condo faces onto a gully. My house and my Dad's are next door but mine is uphill from him and so, on my second story it is a good five degrees cooler than down at his place.

Today is starting out a bit overcast and cooler (Nice!) but looks like it is going to burn off soon.

I think I'm going to get one of those ketosis blood meters just to have another toy to play with.

Yesterday I read the Eat Stop Eat book by Brad Pilon. I had read *about* it but not actually read it. Some very good info in there debunking the whole "You have to eat every so often or you will go into starvation mode and your metabolism will crash" nonsense.
    He seems to be saying that the benefits of fasting are really kicking in at about the 24 hour point with no food but yet he recommends doing two separate 24 hour fasts per week. I think he is doing this just for the convenience and sustainability factor. Getting people to stick with it is easier this way. But I think one 48 hour fast in each week would be a good way to go. Pilon also shows the cumulative effects of fasting over time. Yes, you do lose "water weight " that comes back but over time when you do this consistently there is a downward trend.

Very interesting book. He basically says that it doesn't matter that much what you eat. Of course he says that healthy food is better than eating junk but that is just sort of a given. He doesn't try to dictate, Eat this, not that.

He says the body only has two states, fed and fasted. You are either in one or the other, no in between. He says that it comes down to giving your body a long enough stretch in the fasted state to clean house and burn fat. Both his graphs and those of pklopp who did a series on fasting here a while back, show the maximum benefits of fasting topping out somewhere around the end of day two 40-48 hours in.

Hmm. Food for thought.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Are you (or is he) sure there is no in between state? I think being fed but not enough is sort of like a "zone of misery".
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Paleobird Guest
    Are you (or is he) sure there is no in between state? I think being fed but not enough is sort of like a "zone of misery".
    He was talking about as far as fat burning goes. You are either in storage or burn mode. As long as there is food coming in, whatever the quantity, it keeps you in storage mode and out of burn mode.

He advocates against chronic low calorie diets and says that the exact same benefits can be had with a couple of days of fasting without the misery. If there is just a little trickle of calories coming in, that is worse for your body than really feeding it what it needs on some days and totally going without other days.

I think this makes sense evolutionarily. Before storage of food became possible you would eat whatever was there and then have days that you went hungry. I really liked how Pilon debunked all the mythology about fasting being bad for you. If it were bad for you the human species would never have survived. Can you imagine Grok talking to his buddies on the hunt and saying, "Sorry guys but I really have to stop and have some berries now. It's been three hours since I ate and my metabolism is crashing into hypoglycemia."