Page 125 of 306 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175225 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 125

  1. #1241
    Owly's Avatar
    Owly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,823
    Primal Fuel
    Yeah, none of my grandparents were on the front lines. My dad's parents were in Scotland. My mother's parents were in Manchester, her as a nurse and him as an engineering student (they didn't come to Canada until 1950). They also met during the war. Funny how I would likely never have been born if it wasn't for those wartime romances.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

    Owly's Journal

  2. #1242
    meeme's Avatar
    meeme is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennswoods
    Posts
    119
    Same here...American Dad and Aussie Mom met during the war.

  3. #1243
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,953
    I don't think my dad and uncle really have Asperger's. But they are REALLY weird. I mean extremely weird. Like from outer space or maybe they are actually robots.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

  4. #1244
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Yeah, none of my grandparents were on the front lines. My dad's parents were in Scotland. My mother's parents were in Manchester, her as a nurse and him as an engineering student (they didn't come to Canada until 1950). They also met during the war. Funny how I would likely never have been born if it wasn't for those wartime romances.
    Quote Originally Posted by meeme View Post
    Same here...American Dad and Aussie Mom met during the war.
    War has a way of stirring the genetic pot. Probably has since prehistoric times.

    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't think my dad and uncle really have Asperger's. But they are REALLY weird. I mean extremely weird. Like from outer space or maybe they are actually robots.
    Pod people perhaps?

    Well, I just had a big ol' tray of marrow bones for dinner. I can just feeeeel the ketones burning. My hand is still puffy and stiff feeling from the bee sting. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to sleep without the advil pm. Two nights in a row of that stuff leaves me feeling a little foggy in the head.

    Dad is doing much better. He was out trimming hedges and fixing a broken stair railing today. I think he's on the mend. Maybe now he will believe me when I say to limit the fruit.

    Speaking of which, my little buddy Chaco went spouting off on a thread about a person trying to help their older mom with diabetes and BP problems get better. If Chaco wants to believe the drivel that quack Ray Peat is spouting that is his right, but he went and told this person to have their mom eat lots of fruit, that "fructose is your friend". WTF!?!?!?!?!? OK a young fit person can handle some fructose just fine but not someone with diabetes. That boy needs a smack upside the head sometimes. He writes well and with a very authoritative tone that could easily convince someone who wasn't very well informed to follow him right off Ray Peat's cliff.

  5. #1245
    Jac's Avatar
    Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Speaking of which, my little buddy Chaco went spouting off on a thread about a person trying to help their older mom with diabetes and BP problems get better. If Chaco wants to believe the drivel that quack Ray Peat is spouting that is his right, but he went and told this person to have their mom eat lots of fruit, that "fructose is your friend". WTF!?!?!?!?!? OK a young fit person can handle some fructose just fine but not someone with diabetes. That boy needs a smack upside the head sometimes. He writes well and with a very authoritative tone that could easily convince someone who wasn't very well informed to follow him right off Ray Peat's cliff.
    What he says is often compounded by him saying just what people want to hear - eat more fruit, and keep eating sugar is just the kind of 'diet' that appeals.

    Glad to hear that your dad is on the mend!
    Started Feb 18 2011

    Journalling here

    "There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

  6. #1246
    onalark's Avatar
    onalark is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    San Clemente, CA
    Posts
    1,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Speaking of which, my little buddy Chaco went spouting off on a thread about a person trying to help their older mom with diabetes and BP problems get better. If Chaco wants to believe the drivel that quack Ray Peat is spouting that is his right, but he went and told this person to have their mom eat lots of fruit, that "fructose is your friend". WTF!?!?!?!?!? OK a young fit person can handle some fructose just fine but not someone with diabetes. That boy needs a smack upside the head sometimes. He writes well and with a very authoritative tone that could easily convince someone who wasn't very well informed to follow him right off Ray Peat's cliff.
    I cannot imagine how that would be helpful to anyone who has lost beta cell function. Maybe if the person were, as you said, freshly diagnosed with diabetes and still had some hope of salvaging their pancreas. But after a while, you lose function, and it never, ever comes back.

    I guess we're fortunate in that Ray Peat doesn't seem interested in being the next Kruse. Dude just throws his theories out there; I don't get the sense he's trying to evangelize. Other people sure seem to want to do it for him, though.

  7. #1247
    mdrive's Avatar
    mdrive is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    22
    I got the stinger out and put some ice on it. Any other healing tips? Magic remedies?
    Tylenol and bed sound like the best bet right now. Hard to type w only one hand. night all
    just catching up on the thread....

    i got FOUR wasp stings about a month ago.....i inadvertently disturbed a nest and boy did they come after me....despite running for the house, i still got nailed....the only thing beyond what you have already done (for future reference) is to put some benadryl on the sting and take some benadryl orally....i took some immediately after getting stung and my symptoms (and pain) diminished quickly....had a sting on my upper inner arm that was a doozy! youch!

    also....congratulations on your fast....i fasted for a week one time decades ago, and i'm tempted to try it again even for a couple of days, but for the time being, i think just sticking with the paleo is challenge enough...

  8. #1248
    Owly's Avatar
    Owly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,823
    Ugh. I'm far from a VLC fanatic, but there are times it's really the best option. I like my fruit, but that Ray Peat stuff is just nutty.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

    Owly's Journal

  9. #1249
    Getfitt's Avatar
    Getfitt is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    24
    paleobird I am 80/20 primal I guess now was strictly primal for 3 months and nothing still hanging around at 133-134 wt I initially lost and went down to 128 and was feeling great doing the same thing but keep gaining occasional fruit occasional sweet potato and no flours of any sorts mainly paleo foods but I guess not eating enough..
    I weigh 134 now i am 5-2 and 39 yrs old female all my life i was skinny 105 lbs- 110 lbs last baby 3 yrs ago made me FATTTTT and now having these love handles urghhhhh is making me sick any suggestions ?

  10. #1250
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    What he says is often compounded by him saying just what people want to hear - eat more fruit, and keep eating sugar is just the kind of 'diet' that appeals.

    Glad to hear that your dad is on the mend!
    Thanks Jac. Yep, Peat says just what sugar junkies want to hear.

    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    I cannot imagine how that would be helpful to anyone who has lost beta cell function. Maybe if the person were, as you said, freshly diagnosed with diabetes and still had some hope of salvaging their pancreas. But after a while, you lose function, and it never, ever comes back.

    I guess we're fortunate in that Ray Peat doesn't seem interested in being the next Kruse. Dude just throws his theories out there; I don't get the sense he's trying to evangelize. Other people sure seem to want to do it for him, though.
    Ya. Guys like that Danny Roddy character who has been spreading the low carb=hair loss scare tactic around here.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdrive View Post
    just catching up on the thread....

    i got FOUR wasp stings about a month ago.....i inadvertently disturbed a nest and boy did they come after me....despite running for the house, i still got nailed....the only thing beyond what you have already done (for future reference) is to put some benadryl on the sting and take some benadryl orally....i took some immediately after getting stung and my symptoms (and pain) diminished quickly....had a sting on my upper inner arm that was a doozy! youch!

    also....congratulations on your fast....i fasted for a week one time decades ago, and i'm tempted to try it again even for a couple of days, but for the time being, i think just sticking with the paleo is challenge enough...
    Going into the fast was much easier when already in ketosis and coming out of it was better too. No weight rebound. Wasps don't sound nice at all. Yikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Ugh. I'm far from a VLC fanatic, but there are times it's really the best option. I like my fruit, but that Ray Peat stuff is just nutty.
    Nutty and downright dangerous. Someone like Chaco is not going to be hurt by it but it could literally kill someone with diabetes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Getfitt View Post
    paleobird I am 80/20 primal I guess now was strictly primal for 3 months and nothing still hanging around at 133-134 wt I initially lost and went down to 128 and was feeling great doing the same thing but keep gaining occasional fruit occasional sweet potato and no flours of any sorts mainly paleo foods but I guess not eating enough..
    I weigh 134 now i am 5-2 and 39 yrs old female all my life i was skinny 105 lbs- 110 lbs last baby 3 yrs ago made me FATTTTT and now having these love handles urghhhhh is making me sick any suggestions ?
    Ketosis is not magic in and of itself. It has to be done in the context of overall calorie restriction. Ketosis just makes limiting calories so much easier to do. Read the EAT MOAR FAT thread for lots of good info.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •