Page 124 of 306 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174224 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 124

peril is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Which reminds me - I still have a can of Riga sprats somewhere in my pantry. Can anybody give me a heads up on what the hell sprats taste like?
    Like sardines
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I don't know if that's a human thing, a man thing, an older gent thing, or just a combination thereof.

HOnestly, I tend to be stubborn, but. . . most old men can out do me times 10,000.
    I think old folks figure they've earned the right to be stubborn and do things their way. Most of the time, they're right, but sometimes it's crazy making.

My dad has always been really stubborn, and I can only see that getting worse as he ages (he's 62 now so not what I'd consider an old man yet, but definitely very set in his ways).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    'Lo, PB, I've been away then minimally on MDA so lots of catching up to do. Glad your Dad is better. Mine is 93 and it's tough getting them through even something like a cold, they're so much more fragile. I, too, walk a fine line between being controlling and giving Dad his space. It's hard.

I will have to check your bee sting thread - a paste of baking soda generally works for us, but I *love* reading home tips. I must start one myself on poison ivy as half my face is hot, swollen, and looks like lizard skin. Blech.

And I'm really enjoying that moar fat thread! I hope To be joining y'all in ketosis-land this Friday when my fast is over.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I don't know if that's a human thing, a man thing, an older gent thing, or just a combination thereof.
    HOnestly, I tend to be stubborn, but. . . most old men can out do me times 10,000.
    I think there's something to be said for the old *soldier* factor as well. Military training.

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Like sardines
    In that case, they sound delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I think old folks figure they've earned the right to be stubborn and do things their way. Most of the time, they're right, but sometimes it's crazy making.
    My dad has always been really stubborn, and I can only see that getting worse as he ages (he's 62 now so not what I'd consider an old man yet, but definitely very set in his ways).
    That's young enough to be my Dad's kid (my folks had theirs rather late in life). So my Dad is like your granddad now. Crazy making indeed sometimes but I love him.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    'Lo, PB, I've been away then minimally on MDA so lots of catching up to do. Glad your Dad is better. Mine is 93 and it's tough getting them through even something like a cold, they're so much more fragile. I, too, walk a fine line between being controlling and giving Dad his space. It's hard.

I will have to check your bee sting thread - a paste of baking soda generally works for us, but I *love* reading home tips. I must start one myself on poison ivy as half my face is hot, swollen, and looks like lizard skin. Blech.

And I'm really enjoying that moar fat thread! I hope To be joining y'all in ketosis-land this Friday when my fast is over.
    Thank you. Yes come on over and join us in K-land. You have the perfect name for it already. Starting a thread like that is fun and really can help sometimes. The collective wisdom and occasional silliness of this place all brought together.

My grandfather was air force (radar) and then eventually a high school principal. He had a will of iron but I never saw it because he doted on us grandchildren. The only other force he couldn't resist was my grandmother, who was also former military and Scottish to boot.

I come from a long, long line of obstinacy.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I come from a long line of Asperger's Syndrome.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Both my brothers, probably my maternal grandfather and uncle.

Owly's Journal

Paleobird Guest
    My grandfather was air force (radar) and then eventually a high school principal. He had a will of iron but I never saw it because he doted on us grandchildren. The only other force he couldn't resist was my grandmother, who was also former military and Scottish to boot.

I come from a long, long line of obstinacy.
    My Dad too. WWII? Radar was the cutting edge technology back then.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Both my brothers, probably my maternal grandfather and uncle.
    Is it my imagination or do there seem to be a lot of people with this condition around these boards?

Yes, WWII, RAF then RCAF once we had our own air force. He was a radar tech and my grandmother was a sergeant in the radar room. That's how they met. He went over as a volunteer when we entered the war (with the Brits, much earlier than the Americans).

He would have been older than your dad though. He would be nearly 100 now but he passed away when I was 14.

Owly's Journal

Paleobird Guest
    Yes, WWII, RAF then RCAF once we had our own air force. He was a radar tech and my grandmother was a sergeant in the radar room. That's how they met. He went over as a volunteer when we entered the war (with the Brits, much earlier than the Americans).

He would have been older than your dad though. He would be nearly 100 now but he passed away when I was 14.
    Yeah, my Dad just got the tail end of the war and thankfully never got shot at. He stayed stateside where they were cranking out one plane every day to get over to Europe. He was radar tech too doing the installation and testing of the radar systems. He then went on to have a long career in electrical engineering and worked on the booster rockets for the moon missions.

Dad always said the army kept the smart ones here and sent the less bright bulbs over to get shot. They were expendable. He said the way he survived the war was to just keep signing up for every possible class they were offering and keep learning to make himself one of the non-expendable ones.

That military training runs deep in a person. He is such a stiff upper lip trooper sometimes that he will wait days to tell me that something is wrong or hurts.