Page 123 of 306 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173223 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 123

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Are the cod livers smoked? If so they are the most delectably delicious thing ever! I just eat them out of the tin and use the oil as a salad dressing. They are very delicate though so I don't know how they'd hold up to a pate.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    PB, hope your dad recovers soon. My mom, 86, had a kidney infection last year, antibiotics made her just stare out in space, scared me, but they did the trick and she was back to normal. (She asked the doc what could have caused it, because she is a perfectionist like you wouldn't believe, in hygiene and every part of her life, he said, it's caused by old age creeping up on ya, she was so pissed, told me when we got in the car, I may have to find another doctor, he has a bad attitude!)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    No, but I've been adding fresh fish livers to sauces, much as many cultures add shrimp, anchovy or fish sauce. They are mild in flavour so noone's noticed yet just how healthy is their food
    Ah, Peril, you are devious. One of the many reasons I like you.

Good to know that the flavor isn't too strong.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Are the cod livers smoked? If so they are the most delectably delicious thing ever! I just eat them out of the tin and use the oil as a salad dressing. They are very delicate though so I don't know how they'd hold up to a pate.
    The label doesn't say they are smoked but then it is from Latvia and most of the writing is in another language. (What do they speak in Latvia?) Good to know about the texture. If they are too crumbly , they might not pate' well. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    PB, hope your dad recovers soon. My mom, 86, had a kidney infection last year, antibiotics made her just stare out in space, scared me, but they did the trick and she was back to normal. (She asked the doc what could have caused it, because she is a perfectionist like you wouldn't believe, in hygiene and every part of her life, he said, it's caused by old age creeping up on ya, she was so pissed, told me when we got in the car, I may have to find another doctor, he has a bad attitude!)
    Dad's doing better today. We went back for a checkup today and got the compression dressing replaced with one that is a little less thick and sweaty feeling for him and allows him to wear his regular shoes instead of those silly velcro booties they gave him last time that made tottering around difficult. The antibiotics and diuretic seem to be doing their job and the redness is mostly gone too. Dad is a lot perkier today. I think some of the brain fog may also have been sleep deprivation. It was probably something that would wake him up every time he tried to turn over at night.

Paleobird Guest
    SON OF A BITCH, THAT HURT!!!!!!!

I just got stung by a bee. It's a warm evening and I'm sitting here with the windows open. We don't have much in the way of bugs here so I don't bother with screens. I felt this little tickle behind my knee and absentmindedly swatted my hand over it. YEOUCH! Stung right on the ring finger.

I got the stinger out and put some ice on it. Any other healing tips? Magic remedies?
    Tylenol and bed sound like the best bet right now. Hard to type w only one hand. night all

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad that your dad is doing better. Hopefully, he will have learned his lesson.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The label doesn't say they are smoked but then it is from Latvia and most of the writing is in another language. (What do they speak in Latvia?) Good to know about the texture. If they are too crumbly , they might not pate' well. We'll see.
    Er ... Latvian. It's a language which has completely defeated my pathetic attempts to learn it (but I am not a patient woman).

Which reminds me - I still have a can of Riga sprats somewhere in my pantry. Can anybody give me a heads up on what the hell sprats taste like?

Bee stings are horrible. My sympathies, Robin. Hope you're feeling better soon.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Sorry I've not been keeping up w/ your postings. I missed out on a lot of news around your house. Dad under the weather & you with a bad bee sting.

When I'm stung by anything, I put the juice of a raw fresh sliced onion or daikon radish on the sting site after the stinger's removal. Or spit on some tobacco to saturate it & rub that on the sting area. Spit + tobacco juice = pain & swelling solution. If I'm out and about, I look around for a discarded cig butt on the ground. It works! The nicotine counteracts the histamines & banishes the pain, for me it does.... If I'm home or near someone's house or a grocer, then I borrow or buy a small onion. Just a slice will do it.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I'm glad that your dad is doing better. Hopefully, he will have learned his lesson.
    Let's hope so. He has a great way of sticking his head in the sand sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Er ... Latvian. It's a language which has completely defeated my pathetic attempts to learn it (but I am not a patient woman).

Which reminds me - I still have a can of Riga sprats somewhere in my pantry. Can anybody give me a heads up on what the hell sprats taste like?

Bee stings are horrible. My sympathies, Robin. Hope you're feeling better soon.
    Most of my linguistic endeavors are more Mediterranean, Spanish, French, Italian. I never worked my way that far north.

I would have no earthly clue what a sprat was much less what to do with one or how it tastes. That's one for google.

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Sorry I've not been keeping up w/ your postings. I missed out on a lot of news around your house. Dad under the weather & you with a bad bee sting.

When I'm stung by anything, I put the juice of a raw fresh sliced onion or daikon radish on the sting site after the stinger's removal. Or spit on some tobacco to saturate it & rub that on the sting area. Spit + tobacco juice = pain & swelling solution. If I'm out and about, I look around for a discarded cig butt on the ground. It works! The nicotine counteracts the histamines & banishes the pain, for me it does.... If I'm home or near someone's house or a grocer, then I borrow or buy a small onion. Just a slice will do it.
    I started a post on the odds and ends section about it and got a bunch of interesting home remedy ideas. You are not the only person to have the tobacco plan.

The stung finger still hurts and feels stiff. On and off again it starts itching like I want to tear my finger off just to make it stop. It's like the poison is trying to work its way out.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Let's hope so. He has a great way of sticking his head in the sand sometimes.
    I don't know if that's a human thing, a man thing, an older gent thing, or just a combination thereof.

HOnestly, I tend to be stubborn, but. . . most old men can out do me times 10,000.