Page 122 of 306 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172222 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 122

  1. #1211
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,325
    Shop Now
    Report on my liver pate: pork liver is very strong. Chicken liver is better. I don't taste any difference using marrow fat. Next I may try duck fat if I can afford it, or I will make duck for txgiving and render my own duck fat. Duck fat and chicken liver.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

  2. #1212
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Report on my liver pate: pork liver is very strong. Chicken liver is better. I don't taste any difference using marrow fat. Next I may try duck fat if I can afford it, or I will make duck for txgiving and render my own duck fat. Duck fat and chicken liver.
    I've never tried pork liver. Not that big a fan of pork in general. See if your ethnic grocery place has lamb or calf liver too. The younger beasts have milder flavored livers.
    Duck and goose fats are both wonderful for cooking. My Asian supermarket carries geese in the freezer section all year long. The packaging says "minimally processed". I took that to mean all natural, etc. Turned out it meant that they had plucked it but that was all. I had to do the internal clean out. Never done that before. Thank goodness my BFF, who is old enough to remember when all poultry came that way, was there and talked me through it. Goose liver pate was the appetizer to that meal. That was really good.

  3. #1213
    Betorq's Avatar
    Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    GA & CA
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I've never tried pork liver. Not that big a fan of pork in general. See if your ethnic grocery place has lamb or calf liver too. The younger beasts have milder flavored livers.
    Duck and goose fats are both wonderful for cooking. My Asian supermarket carries geese in the freezer section all year long. The packaging says "minimally processed". I took that to mean all natural, etc. Turned out it meant that they had plucked it but that was all. I had to do the internal clean out. Never done that before. Thank goodness my BFF, who is old enough to remember when all poultry came that way, was there and talked me through it. Goose liver pate was the appetizer to that meal. That was really good.
    I (heart) goose liver pate'! You can feed that to me any time, day or night...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown


  4. #1214
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,081
    i'm looking at making this liver pate to send with DS to school as a dip for his veggies and such. he loves chicken livers.

  5. #1215
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    I (heart) goose liver pate'! You can feed that to me any time, day or night...
    I found some canned cod liver at my middle eastern bodega and I'm wondering if it would make good pate'. Anybody ever tried that?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    i'm looking at making this liver pate to send with DS to school as a dip for his veggies and such. he loves chicken livers.
    Works great in celery sticks. I make Primal canape trays for parties with crosswise cucumber slices as the base, then a layer of pate and then something colorful on top like a cherry tomato or a slice of bright bell pepper or an olive with pimento inside.

  6. #1216
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Dad's been a bit under the weather the past few days. He had been doing really well with Primal, losing all the inflammation in his legs that had bothered him before. About a week ago I was out at the market and bought fruit for him and, while I was gone, he decided he needed fruit (forgetting that I had said I was going to get some) and went to another market on his own and bought enough for a family of 8. So he ended up with way too much fruit on the table and stuff was all getting ripe at once and he has that depression era mentality about not letting things go to waste so he did a major sucrose pig out for several days running.

    So his legs swelled up like stuffed sausages. This is one of those, "I hate to say I told you so but I FRACKING TOLD YOU SO!" kind of situations. But then the swelling got really bad and his skin is fragile so it started breaking open in a few spot and he was sort of "leaking" lymphatic fluid down his calves. Then the breaks in the skin got infected and that made the inflammation worse. So now he is on a diuretic and an antibiotic and has sterile compression wraps around both legs and is under doctors orders to keep his feet elevated whenever possible.

    So I've been putting together dinners for him at his house (normally he would walk over to my place). And I've just been eating whatever looks good by myself to stay keto. Today I had Fat Bread and mascarpone for lunch, a spoonful of coconut manna this afternoon, and I just had some of my pate for dinner, inspired by the posts above. Hit the keto macros perfectly.

    I'm concerned about Dad though. He seems to be a little disoriented and confused. I've been keeping a close eye on him and making sure he gets the right pills at the right times. I hope it's just the infection making him fuzzy headed and that it will pass. It just makes me feel like not doing anything that takes me away from home for very long. I'm trying to walk a fine line between caring for him and yet not hovering or taking over his life. It's not always easy.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-09-2012 at 08:55 PM.

  7. #1217
    Quies's Avatar
    Quies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Naples, Florida
    Posts
    113
    I hope your dad gets better quickly. If he picks up too much fruit again, you should be able to freeze it. Berries whole, cut up larger fruit, anything that oxidizes quickly seems to do well being frozen in vacuum seal bags, and remove any inedible parts. Then it won't go to waste or hurt anyone's health.

  8. #1218
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,081
    I would wager that it's the infection and discomfort that has him disoriented. No one is that oriented when they don't feel great.

    If you guys compost, it's ok to remind him that compost is ok because it does give back to the earth and plants and comes around again. This helped my grandmother (also depression era) because she would do similarly due to her dementia. It's mild enough that she lives basically independently, but she often forgets that she bought fruit already or veg already or what have you.

    Since her retirement community/home does have composting as part of their recycling processes, my mother told her that composting is really good, and nothing really goes to waste that way. You would buy fertilizer for plants, and this is just another way of doing that.

    It seemed to help her.

    These days, though, she has a standing shopping list adn they deliver. She never remembers that they do, so she complains to my uncle that they never bring her food. So, the company started putting a 'track' on the delivery so that my uncle gets a text whenever the food is delivered which includes my grandmother's signature.

    Usually, I call her about once a month and send her a long email-letter (with pictures) once a month, and she never remembers receiving them. For her, it's actual dementia, and it's much worse when she's sick. Bladder infections and the medications to treat them are really, really hard on her.

  9. #1219
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Quies View Post
    I hope your dad gets better quickly. If he picks up too much fruit again, you should be able to freeze it. Berries whole, cut up larger fruit, anything that oxidizes quickly seems to do well being frozen in vacuum seal bags, and remove any inedible parts. Then it won't go to waste or hurt anyone's health.
    Yeah, I confiscated and pealed a whole bunch of the bananas and froze them for future smoothies. It just seems like fruit is the one place where I decided to "pick my battles" and not insist on strict low carb compliance so it has kind of become his one last symbol of independence, "It's MY fruit. You can't tell me fruit is unhealthy". He still won't admit that the fruit caused the leg problems. His head is firmly in the sand on that.

    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I would wager that it's the infection and discomfort that has him disoriented. No one is that oriented when they don't feel great.

    If you guys compost, it's ok to remind him that compost is ok because it does give back to the earth and plants and comes around again. This helped my grandmother (also depression era) because she would do similarly due to her dementia. It's mild enough that she lives basically independently, but she often forgets that she bought fruit already or veg already or what have you.

    Since her retirement community/home does have composting as part of their recycling processes, my mother told her that composting is really good, and nothing really goes to waste that way. You would buy fertilizer for plants, and this is just another way of doing that.

    It seemed to help her.

    These days, though, she has a standing shopping list adn they deliver. She never remembers that they do, so she complains to my uncle that they never bring her food. So, the company started putting a 'track' on the delivery so that my uncle gets a text whenever the food is delivered which includes my grandmother's signature.

    Usually, I call her about once a month and send her a long email-letter (with pictures) once a month, and she never remembers receiving them. For her, it's actual dementia, and it's much worse when she's sick. Bladder infections and the medications to treat them are really, really hard on her.
    Yep, the combination of pain, not being able to get around well, the medication, and the infection itself is definitely taking a toll. It's driving him nuts to have to be stuck sitting on the couch with his feet up.

    Composting is a good idea. We used to do that when I was a kid around here. We should do that again.

  10. #1220
    peril's Avatar
    peril is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    2,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I found some canned cod liver at my middle eastern bodega and I'm wondering if it would make good pate'. Anybody ever tried that?
    No, but I've been adding fresh fish livers to sauces, much as many cultures add shrimp, anchovy or fish sauce. They are mild in flavour so noone's noticed yet just how healthy is their food
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

    Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •