Page 121 of 306 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171221 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 121

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Wow, I'm impressed you fasted so long. I don't think I could do that.

I made the pate. I used a pork liver, cooked somewhat rare, and all that bone marrow fat plus a little butter. Some mushrooms, but no eggs. I licked the spoon and it tasted good.

I was afraid my marrow fat would be ruined, but I think it was okay. I got the marrow from my bone broth, and I made my broth using vinegar since I was out of wine. I just don't like the taste of bone broth made with vinegar. I'm hoping soy sauce will rescue my broth.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Paleobird Guest
    The hardest part of the fast is really the first 24 hours. After that it gets easy. At least it's easy physically. Mentally is is a little tough just because I love food and I miss it.

I just ate a whole cookie tray of marrow bones. Oh, sluuuuurrrp! That was gooooood. The fat bread will have to wait until tomorrow. I'm too stuffed.

Any pate that is good on the stirring spoon is going to be good as the finished product. You can use a bit of lemon or lime juice to make the bone broth too as an alternative to vinegar. Anything acidic works.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The hardest part of the fast is really the first 24 hours. After that it gets easy. At least it's easy physically. Mentally is is a little tough just because I love food and I miss it.
    Yup. The first two days were the hump for me - third day was better. My mental hit came when I had to decide what to do with my time instead of cook/set table/eat/wash up/repeat. That sent me for a loop - here I had these chunks of time, and I couldn't figure out what to do. Dumb, huh?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Yup. The first two days were the hump for me - third day was better. My mental hit came when I had to decide what to do with my time instead of cook/set table/eat/wash up/repeat. That sent me for a loop - here I had these chunks of time, and I couldn't figure out what to do. Dumb, huh?
    With taking care of Dad, I still had to do all of that cooking, cleaning, etc, but I didn't get the eating part. That was a little tough. I mostly made his meals in a bowl, things like stew or a veggie bowl with chicken on top and then took then next door to his house.

Then I just hung out on the recipe forum and drooled a lot. Naw, not really.
    It would be easier to do a fast if the weather weren't so bloody hot. This has not been conducive to walks in the park and such.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    congratulations on your fast!

we have started our spring clean in earnest. DH is taking the day off from his writing, and then it's deep clean, weed out and prep the garden for early plantings, and do the deep declutter as well. We're also going to do measurements to see if it would be good to move the furnishings around.

and, then i'll go to a roller derby movie.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I was afraid my marrow fat would be ruined, but I think it was okay. I got the marrow from my bone broth, and I made my broth using vinegar since I was out of wine. I just don't like the taste of bone broth made with vinegar. I'm hoping soy sauce will rescue my broth.
    How long are you cooking your bone broth? I use ACV as my acidic element in making broth, and at first it tastes "oh god what have I done" wrong, but after it's slowly cooked for over 24 hours I find the vinegar tastes completely disappears.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    congratulations on your fast!

we have started our spring clean in earnest. DH is taking the day off from his writing, and then it's deep clean, weed out and prep the garden for early plantings, and do the deep declutter as well. We're also going to do measurements to see if it would be good to move the furnishings around.

and, then i'll go to a roller derby movie.
    Thank you. It was fun. I'm considering this one to be a "warm up" for doing a 7-10 day one sometime this fall. Not thinking about weight loss here but more from the perspective of neurological health.

You are probably not old enough to remember this 70s vintage song but evrey time you start talking about roller derby, this one starts playing in my head :Jim Croce - Roller Derby Queen (Live) [remastered 16:9] - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    How long are you cooking your bone broth? I use ACV as my acidic element in making broth, and at first it tastes "oh god what have I done" wrong, but after it's slowly cooked for over 24 hours I find the vinegar tastes completely disappears.
    Very true. Patience is the key to good bone broth.

Paleobird Guest
    This is weird. I haven't eaten all day and I don't feel the slightest bit hungry. I'm just going to go with it and see how long it lasts.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    That's a funny song; I haven't heard of it.

Yeah, it's a film called Derby Baby and it is narrated by Juliet Lewis and is going over the basic history, the present, and then questioning where the future is going (whether it's heading more sporty, staying more grass roots, heading toward men-in-suits-with-money running it, or what).

My voice is just about back. Thank goodness. Also had a great -- and very late -- date night with DH. We had lots and lots of fun. LOTS.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    That's a funny song; I haven't heard of it.

Yeah, it's a film called Derby Baby and it is narrated by Juliet Lewis and is going over the basic history, the present, and then questioning where the future is going (whether it's heading more sporty, staying more grass roots, heading toward men-in-suits-with-money running it, or what).

My voice is just about back. Thank goodness. Also had a great -- and very late -- date night with DH. We had lots and lots of fun. LOTS.
    "Roller Derby Queen" is one of the lesser known songs from Jim Croce who was most famous for "Time in a Bottle" one of the most beautiful love ballads of all time IMO, also the song "Operator" which is a broken heart song for the ages. He died way too young in a plane crash. His widow and son live here is San Diego and have been friends of the family forever. They run one of the premier night clubs and a restaurant in the upscale downtown area. His son is about 40 now and has inherited his father's musical talents, a very gifted jazz pianist.

I'm glad you are feeling better.