Page 12 of 306 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 12

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I wouldn't want to be taken care of by anyone else. I'll give you a call when I'm 90 and you're 105.

And yes, the roll reversal is interesting stuff for sure.
    At that point we can hire ourselves some studly young male nurses and sexually harass them mercilessly.

Yes. Dad has always been very much "in charge" of things. But I think he is beginning to realize that he needs someone to take charge a little more. He's being graceful about it. I think the idea of becoming more forgetful and losing track of things mentally is scarier for him than physical degeneration. I know it is for me.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    At that point we can hire ourselves some studly young male nurses and sexually harass them mercilessly.
    there's an idea.

I think it would be difficult when you are used to doing things on your own.

Paleobird Guest
    Yes. My Mom died 23 years ago so Dad has had a long time of being on his own and for most of that time he did really well. He cooked nutritious meals. It's only been in the past few years that things have started to go downhill. I think the two main factors in this are not feeling steady on his feet due to the peripheral neuropathy creeping up on him and also the mental aspect of feeling confused and overwhelmed by anything too complicated. If you don't feel steady to stand up very long and don't feel like thinking all that hard, a microwaveable lasagna from Trader Joes looks like a good option.

I'm kind of surprised at the ease with which he is turning things over to me. He's not fighting to maintain control over his domain or anything. It's almost like I can hear a sigh of relief when I take care of things like booking a doctor visit for him. I've also put all of his household bills on autopay so he can't lose the overdue notice (this happened). For years he swore he would never trust electronic banking but this makes things so much simpler and one less thing to think about so he has gotten over that objection.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pjlejialaja View Post
    i love planks. i find both easy on account of doing the forever with yoga.

i'm just glad my shoulder is feeling better so that I can do chaturanga dandhasana more frequently.
    Bad spambot! Trying to impersonate Zoe. How dare you? You have been reported via The Triangle Of Death.

I love online banking. You know what awesome thing we have in NZ?

If you lived in NZ, I would give you my bank account number, and you could transfer money right into it to pay me for, say, a yoga lesson or something. It was the *weirdest* thing when I first encountered it. I was like "what do you mean "give me your bank account number!?"" LOL But, it's super awesome.

I wish I could easily connect between US and NZ accounts this way. It would be great.

We put several of our bills on autopay as well, which just makes life easier. It's helpful in our budgeting too, because then we know what goes out when and to whom in a quick and easy way. Also, no worries -- we are never late.

I think it is a sigh of relief, even if he didn't know that it was relief that he wanted or felt he needed. He obviously had some sense that he needed help -- maybe deep down -- and he's relieved to have not had to ask.

Paleobird Guest
    [QUOTE=zoebird;844752
    I think it is a sigh of relief, even if he didn't know that it was relief that he wanted or felt he needed. He obviously had some sense that he needed help -- maybe deep down -- and he's relieved to have not had to ask.[/QUOTE]

Yep I think so. It is more of that role reversal thing though. I am providing the structure for his life now like a parent would for a child. When to get up, when to eat, let's go grocery shopping, did you remember to take your pills?, going with him to doctor's appointments so that important information will not get lost or forgotten.

Yeah, he's not helpless but he does realize that he needs some help.

And I'm not going to pretend that it is always easy. But I'm going to do it anyway. I think it's shameful how so many old people are warehoused away in retirement homes when they have children who would be able to care for them but it is just too much trouble.

Paleobird Guest
    I'm back on the Sparkpeople calorie tracking program again and it's working well. I'm at 157 but aiming for the 145 I had before heading up Mt. Kilimangaro. There is something that appeals to me about being under 150, moving that weight on the lower bar of the scale over to the 100 notch. I will rock the monokini again. It wouldn't look horrible now, it just wouldn't rock.

It really pisses me off the way that the term "eating disorder" gets thrown around on this forum as the ultimate way to put down a person and/or their ideas. Anytime anyone mentions tracking their food or weight in any way or advocates fasting as a possible tool for weight loss, or expresses a desire to get to an awesome body shape/size instead of "just being happy" with with the flab, there will be several people there wagging their fingers and shouting, "That person has an eating disorder", like the Monty Python crowd yelling, "She's a witch!"

Wanting to improve is not necessarily disordered. I know what a real eating disorder is. My sister nearly died of one.

I find that planning what I am going to eat for the day in the morning helps me make better choices about what not to eat along the way. For example if I have my beloved bottle of kombucha budgeted in as an evening treat, I will stay away from the wine and the chocolate and the beef jerky while watching a tv program on the net.

it is sad when that happens.

i think that it's relatively rare in my circles -- most people don't move their parents until, honestly, they can't take care of them. but that might be cultural (region, class, etc). I have a lot of friends your age and older, so obviously their parents are older too. It's really not until dementia sets in that they get moved into care.

i feel that GMIL was moved in too early, but even though she is in a home (now in the ward for dementia), my MIL is quite active in keeping the details going. She does GMIL's laundry, takes her to appointments, brings her stuff from the church, visits her every Friday, except when she's travelling, and then her friend Millie (nicest lady) does it. GMIL *loves* millie.

We tried to skype with her. It was sweet. GMIL asserted "I don't like TV< but this is the most boring show ever!" and then left the room. HA! I love her. She was very cool when she was 100%, but she's an absolute riot now. She's always been a bit witchy and a spitfire, and now there are no filters at all. She has no clue who we are so of course we are a boring TV show!

What else?

Right, "eating disorder" -- there are a few people on here who concern me -- but it's not what they do in terms of eating, it's how they relate to the eating with anxiety and a sense of obsession and wanting it to be "right" and for them to have control. It's distressing to me because my SIL has one and my DH has anxiety and sometimes fixates on food/fitness as an aspect of his anxiety.

It is not an eating disorder to be interested in these things generally, or even be anxious and be interested in these things and calorie count or whatever, but the latter can lead that way for sure. . . if it goes over the edge. But that doesn't mean it will.

What I see a lot of people doing is not giving the basics enough time to take root. One poster (I can't remember whom) has had 4 different versions of primal in the last 2 weeks. Another person keeps looking for "what is best/perfect" and keeps going "should i do this? what abut that?" as if there's some weird standard that has to happen. I keep telling them to just do the basics. Follow the basics with the 50-100 g carbs, .8 g protein per lb lean mass, and the rest fat -- making sure that it's grain and legume free, low on processed foods. Then do the exercise and sleep. It isn't complex, honestly.

But people keep changing their ratios bouncing from VLC to maintenance levels, using IF then not using IF, doing the cold thermogenesis, then not doing it, then going into leptin reset, then not, then GAPS then not, then back to VLC and even into VVLC, and so on and so forth without any consistency until they say "toss it all" and have a binge. Then wonder why it isn't working.

Keep it simple. Be sensible. Eat the right number of calories for you. Get the right ratios as per the primal blueprint. Do a whole 30 of whatever that is, and see if you need to tweak. it's not hard, honestly.

I mean, look at how easy your solution was? I remember it was like what about this? what about that? At the end, it was the simplest solution -- get the right amount of calories. Simple fix. You didn't have to do anything else.

The whole bit about "don't worry about calories" is ok -- in the very beginning. The idea is to transition to the WOE. But once you are comfortable with the foods themselves, prepping them, youve gotten through carb cravings, etc -- it's a good idea to check your calories and see "am I eating too much?" And if so, put a cap on it, and see what happens.

Most people on the forums right now with problems not loosing actually have decent portion sizes, but IMO are too VLC, and also -- by their own admission -- don't get enough movement. They don't even get the basics of PB, which is something like 3 work outs a week (1 long slow, one sprints, 1 LHT). It's not inaccessible for most people. So i wonder what they are waiting for?

But, hey, it's not my world. I'm not in their lives or how they are doing things. What I like about PB is that it really is simple. But apparently others don't see it that way. Maybe I'm just weird.

Paleobird Guest
    Oh I totally agree that there are a lot of people here trying to over-think something that should be pretty straight forward. But some of the "eating disorder!" finger wagging I've seen is saying that counting will MAKE you become obsessive. I think people either have obsessive tendencies or they don't. Tracking doesn't create those tendencies.

And I do think the endless back and forth about macro nutrient ratios as if 1% one way or the other was going to make or break things is very tedious.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    it is sad when that happens.

i think that it's relatively rare in my circles -- most people don't move their parents until, honestly, they can't take care of them. but that might be cultural (region, class, etc). I have a lot of friends your age and older, so obviously their parents are older too. It's really not until dementia sets in that they get moved into care.

i feel that GMIL was moved in too early, but even though she is in a home (now in the ward for dementia), my MIL is quite active in keeping the details going. She does GMIL's laundry, takes her to appointments, brings her stuff from the church, visits her every Friday, except when she's travelling, and then her friend Millie (nicest lady) does it. GMIL *loves* millie.

We tried to skype with her. It was sweet. GMIL asserted "I don't like TV< but this is the most boring show ever!" and then left the room. HA! I love her. She was very cool when she was 100%, but she's an absolute riot now. She's always been a bit witchy and a spitfire, and now there are no filters at all. She has no clue who we are so of course we are a boring TV show!

What else?

Right, "eating disorder" -- there are a few people on here who concern me -- but it's not what they do in terms of eating, it's how they relate to the eating with anxiety and a sense of obsession and wanting it to be "right" and for them to have control. It's distressing to me because my SIL has one and my DH has anxiety and sometimes fixates on food/fitness as an aspect of his anxiety.

It is not an eating disorder to be interested in these things generally, or even be anxious and be interested in these things and calorie count or whatever, but the latter can lead that way for sure. . . if it goes over the edge. But that doesn't mean it will.

What I see a lot of people doing is not giving the basics enough time to take root. One poster (I can't remember whom) has had 4 different versions of primal in the last 2 weeks. Another person keeps looking for "what is best/perfect" and keeps going "should i do this? what abut that?" as if there's some weird standard that has to happen. I keep telling them to just do the basics. Follow the basics with the 50-100 g carbs, .8 g protein per lb lean mass, and the rest fat -- making sure that it's grain and legume free, low on processed foods. Then do the exercise and sleep. It isn't complex, honestly.

But people keep changing their ratios bouncing from VLC to maintenance levels, using IF then not using IF, doing the cold thermogenesis, then not doing it, then going into leptin reset, then not, then GAPS then not, then back to VLC and even into VVLC, and so on and so forth without any consistency until they say "toss it all" and have a binge. Then wonder why it isn't working.

Keep it simple. Be sensible. Eat the right number of calories for you. Get the right ratios as per the primal blueprint. Do a whole 30 of whatever that is, and see if you need to tweak. it's not hard, honestly.

I mean, look at how easy your solution was? I remember it was like what about this? what about that? At the end, it was the simplest solution -- get the right amount of calories. Simple fix. You didn't have to do anything else.

The whole bit about "don't worry about calories" is ok -- in the very beginning. The idea is to transition to the WOE. But once you are comfortable with the foods themselves, prepping them, youve gotten through carb cravings, etc -- it's a good idea to check your calories and see "am I eating too much?" And if so, put a cap on it, and see what happens.

Most people on the forums right now with problems not loosing actually have decent portion sizes, but IMO are too VLC, and also -- by their own admission -- don't get enough movement. They don't even get the basics of PB, which is something like 3 work outs a week (1 long slow, one sprints, 1 LHT). It's not inaccessible for most people. So i wonder what they are waiting for?

But, hey, it's not my world. I'm not in their lives or how they are doing things. What I like about PB is that it really is simple. But apparently others don't see it that way. Maybe I'm just weird.
    Love this post . I've been thinking about being more strict, in light of familial demands to finally get a physical (for me, just to see where I am. For them, to either validate/invalidate my WOE).
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123