Page 116 of 306 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 116

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    My CSA people are pleasantly surprised that someone wants the heart so I get it really cheap. It is so tender in a stew. Could you ask your wife for the details of that meat muffin recipe?
    Heart and Kidney Muffin Recipe
    1 Beef Heart
    1 Beef Kidney
    2 Onions
    2 Carrots
    2 Kumaras

Trim the visible fat off the heart and kidneys, and render that separately (she would also remove the tubes when we do it again).
    Cut the meat into chunks (about 2in wide) then process in the food processor until pureed.
    Use the grater attachment to process the vegetables.
    Mix all together and spoon into muffin trays and cook like a muffin (we have the bendy teflon ones).
    Jucie forms at the bottom of each muffin, which we collect into 'stock'.

Note: They burn your mouth if you eat them when they are just out of the oven.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Owly...I'm new so I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my assessment of the assholery...please tell me he's a Paleo aberration.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry you're feeling under the weather, Zoe. Keep taking care of yourself and you'll be fine. Sleep is good. How about doing some more sleeping times when you don't have a cold?

Wait, better idea, how about going out for a walk?
    I usually sleep from 10:30 pm until 7 am -- I figure that 8.5 hrs on average is enough. The main thing is that I've been running myself ragged with work and just not having enough resting time. So even though I get enough sleep, I don't get enough normal "living" time.

Though I have to say the transition to the other teachers has gone really well, and I feel confident in their ability to continue without me really starting next week if that's what they'd want. I'd be happy for it, because coming home at 3 and going outside is nice.

These days, I get to work around 9, i'm only outside for the walk to/from work (40 minuntes), and I work from 9 until 7. Then home and getting the boy down to bed, doing a bit more work, watching masterchef and having dinner, then bedtime at 10:30.

That's the real issue -- overworking.

--

And yeah, going for a walk and being outside a lot while fasting is really nice.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    1 Beef Heart
    1 Beef Kidney
    2 Onions
    2 Carrots
    2 Kumaras

Trim the visible fat off the heart and kidneys, and render that separately (she would also remove the tubes when we do it again).
    Cut the meat into chunks (about 2in wide) then process in the food processor until pureed.
    Use the grater attachment to process the vegetables.
    Mix all together and spoon into muffin trays and cook like a muffin (we have the bendy teflon ones).
    Jucie forms at the bottom of each muffin, which we collect into 'stock'.

Note: They burn your mouth if you eat them when they are just out of the oven.
    My google-fu says a kumara is a sweet potato. Is that correct? These things?
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    kumara is sweet potato.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    kumara is sweet potato.
    Thanks. I figured I should make sure before I pondered doing anything.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    My google-fu says a kumara is a sweet potato. Is that correct? These things?
    Sorry yes. Although they are mainly there as a binding agent, so you could replace them with 2-3 eggs if you wanted.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I had a not-so-pleasant experience with pork kidneys. I thought they tasted like urine. How are beef kidneys? Any better? My mistake might have been that I didn't remove the stuff in the middle of the kidney before I cooked them. It seemed rather hard to get it out without destroying the whole kidney. How is that process on a beef kidney?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I had a not-so-pleasant experience with pork kidneys. I thought they tasted like urine. How are beef kidneys? Any better? My mistake might have been that I didn't remove the stuff in the middle of the kidney before I cooked them. It seemed rather hard to get it out without destroying the whole kidney. How is that process on a beef kidney?
    Uh... Didn't taste like urine for us.

The usualy way I cook them is in a steak and kidney pie. Just cut the heart and kidney into cubes about 1.5-2 cm wide. Then brown them in the frying pan in batches, and bake in a pie (with veges) for about an hour on 180dC. That makes all of the fatty stuff get really well cooked, and when you eat it the kidney isn't 'too much'.

That's really the secret we have found to eating offal (kidney or liver). Eat it in a 1:2 ratio with muscle meat like steak or heart.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    It was actually that "Master Cleanse" method that I have seen slammed lately.

After the first run-through, PB, I swear to you that my eyesight actually improved (I wear glasses). It got worse again after I went back to crappy eating (hadn't heard of Primal at that point), but I won't soon forget waking up and clearly seeing all the trees we have on this property. I can't attribute that to anything else, so I am crediting the cleanse.
    Interesting about the eyesight.

Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    I'm going to totally tangent here and say -- while I'm intrigued by the recipe, lately his posts have been...angryface-making.

There's a whole tumblr devoted to it, and I know his "schtick" is to be a firebrand and all, but it doesn't make me want to visit his site anymore. I get so weary of the chest-beating LOOK AT ME I'M AN ALPHA MALE antics. And pseudo-psychology on "how" men and women "should" act.
    Guh. Buh. Okay. I feel better now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Sadly, paleo seems to bring out the bad evo-psych speculations in a lot if dudes. Not that all evo-psych is bad, but some guys use it as a means to justify their misogyny. He's definitely crossed the line from entertainingly rude to straight-up assy.
    Quote Originally Posted by meeme View Post
    Owly...I'm new so I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my assessment of the assholery...please tell me he's a Paleo aberration.
    Ya. The guy's a dick but the bread is still awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Thanks magic. Those sound delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    That's the real issue -- overworking.
    And yeah, going for a walk and being outside a lot while fasting is really nice.
    Yes, getting out of the house away from the fridge is a good thing. Generally staying busy.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I am fine with liver and brains but I still haven't gotten past the squeem factor on prepping kidneys. I could eat them if someone else took out those weird white stringy things.