Page 115 of 306 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165215 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 115

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Well, I am gearing up for a four day fast this week as inspired by Piscator's thread on the Nutrition section. The longest I have ever done before was three days so this should be interesting.
    I have done two of the lemon-juice fasts. I did both at 10 days-plus. That was quite an experience, and I mean that in a good way. I would do it again. Not saying that you should go the lemon juice route, that is just the method I chose.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I will be interested to see if you do all 5 BP drinks. For some reason, that seemed like a lot to me, and I wondered if it might make you want more, rather than sating any urges. (I am of the 'fasting-is-easier-if-it-is-stricter' school. For me, that is.)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Do you make or buy your seaweed salad? I think I may have asked you this before.
    I lurrrrv it, but I looked at the ingredients once and sobbed when I saw the dreaded soybean oil and even corn syrup I think. I had decided I was going to make my own from then on, and from then on I've eaten no seaweed salad. :P Because I'm lazy. But I lurrrrv it.

Reading the EAT MOAR FAT thread, I am wondering *how* you people eat more fat. Is it just frying things in butter and dressing salads appropriately? Curious Steph is curious.
    That particular one was store bought but I do make my own too. I use the Sea Tangle kelp noodles and a sesame oil/rice vinegar dressing with a dash of tamari and ginger. It is possible to find it in the store without the added glop. That one was from the sushi bar inside the local Vons and it was sesame only. The other thing a lot of them have (like that one) is added fake green color. Seaweed is not normally that vividly green. So I prefer to make my own. That was something my Dad bought while buying some sushi.

As far as eating MOAR fat goes, I don't think I could do it without the high fat dairy products such as mascarpone, cream cheese, brie, sour cream, camembert, labne plus lotsa butter and coconut products. I don't "do" processed meats or pork so bacon is not an option for me. I have been eating a lot of bone marrow also. Oh yeah, and Fat Bread (see Free the Animal site).

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    been fasting for two days now: with a cold.
    i've been having water and tea and bone broth. and sleeping. makes a big difference all of that sleeping. my waist is smaller.
    i'm also putting together a team for the tough guy/gal, and then we're looking at tough mudder melbourne 2014. hmm.
    I'm sorry you're feeling under the weather, Zoe. Keep taking care of yourself and you'll be fine. Sleep is good. How about doing some more sleeping times when you don't have a cold?

Today I embark on a four day fast until dinner Friday. I will sublimate all my desires for food into talking about it here on MDA. Wait, better idea, how about going out for a walk?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I will be interested to see if you do all 5 BP drinks. For some reason, that seemed like a lot to me, and I wondered if it might make you want more, rather than sating any urges. (I am of the 'fasting-is-easier-if-it-is-stricter' school. For me, that is.)
    That's quite possible. I've never tried it to find out. I'm keeping the BP drinks as a "back pocket" option for when and if I need it. We'll see how it goes. So far today I'm not even hungry. I found that BBC Youtube about fasting that was linked on Piscator's thread fascinating.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    I have done two of the lemon-juice fasts. I did both at 10 days-plus. That was quite an experience, and I mean that in a good way. I would do it again. Not saying that you should go the lemon juice route, that is just the method I chose.
    Wow. That's intense. What is the rationale behind lemon juice? The acidity?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I know you recommend the kefir cheese all the time to me and I've never acknowledge the recommendation. I bought some way back when I initially started my LCHF diet. It IS really good. It's so cheap, too, compared to cream cheese or creme fraiche and has the same ingredients. Sometimes they have it at the store, and sometimes they don't.

I looked for marscapone cheese the other day and the ingredients were milk and cream and non-fat milk. I always avoid stuff like that. If the ingredients aren't just cream and cultures I figure I'd rather just get some fancy cheese in the gourmet cheese department instead.

I bought some walnut oil at the farmer's market the other day. Whoo boy, very expensive, but it's really very tasty. Adds a great nutty flavor. I can't stand to put any vinegar on a salad if I use that stuff because I don't want to cover up that nutty flavor. I need to figure out other ways to use it, things to drizzle it on.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Paleobird Guest
    The Labne kefir cheese mixed with avocados and hot sauce makes an awesome really rich guacamole too.
    There are brands of mascarpone that don't have the nonfat milk added. Keep looking. It is like a cross between ricotta cheese and butter.
    I love fancy oils from the farmers market. I found this one guy who sells flavor infused avocado oils, garlic, lemon, peppers, herbs. And I agree. Who needs vinegar anyway?

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Wow. That's intense. What is the rationale behind lemon juice? The acidity?
    It was actually that "Master Cleanse" method that I have seen slammed lately. I bought the booklet at my local health food store ages ago (and then it kind of resurfaced from the depths of my book collection right when I wanted it). The theory is that lemon juice is highly akalizing in the body, and if you have a lot of backed-up crap in your system, this is a good way to flush it out and counteract acidity. You actually make lemonade with it: 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, 2 Tbsp maple syrup, 8oz freshest water, and a dash of cayenne. If you are a chili-head, you can leave the cayenne in to warm the drink; if not, then just toss the cayenne back and chase it with lemonade (my method - I am a chili wuss). The cayenne is there on purpose, too - keeps the circulation going.

The maple syrup is supposed to give you a tiny bit of carbs and minerals to run on, the lemon juice adds vitamins, cleanses and akalizes with the aid of water. The lemonade is so yummy (to us at least) that my kids make lemonade for refreshment using this recipe. The second half of the protocol is not so great: drinking salt water (supposedly balanced at the salt level of human blood - forgot the ratio) first thing in the morning, and a cup of gentle herbal lax tea at night. The saltwater is supposed to run right through you, and ummmmm - it does. I couldn't get the salt water down, so I had to give that up.

One may, of course, have water at will, but the lemonade is it if hunger hits. After the first couple of days, I really wasn't hungry, and the rest of it was easier than I had anticipated (I was expecting horrifying behavior from myself... like picking out the trash cans and stuff... never happened ). But then again, I chose to do this for myself, and there was an end in sight, and I didn't plan on doing this in the middle of the Christmas season or some nonsense like that.

After the first run-through, PB, I swear to you that my eyesight actually improved (I wear glasses). It got worse again after I went back to crappy eating (hadn't heard of Primal at that point), but I won't soon forget waking up and clearly seeing all the trees we have on this property. I can't attribute that to anything else, so I am crediting the cleanse.

I wouldn't have tried a fast at all if had been a water-only fast - I can't do that kind of thing. That is why this one sounded good for my particular bent when I had it in mind to fast.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah, and Fat Bread (see Free the Animal site).
    I'm going to totally tangent here and say -- while I'm intrigued by the recipe, lately his posts have been...angryface-making.

There's a whole tumblr devoted to it, and I know his "schtick" is to be a firebrand and all, but it doesn't make me want to visit his site anymore. I get so weary of the chest-beating LOOK AT ME I'M AN ALPHA MALE antics. And pseudo-psychology on "how" men and women "should" act.

Guh. Buh. Okay. I feel better now.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Sadly, paleo seems to bring out the bad evo-psych speculations in a lot if dudes. Not that all evo-psych is bad, but some guys use it as a means to justify their misogyny. He's definitely crossed the line from entertainingly rude to straight-up assy.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal