Page 114 of 306 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164214 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 114

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hey Betorq, glad you'll be joining us. Tell me, what is the logic behind nibbling on fermented stuff?
    I think I first learned of it here linked over from MDA. And this dude got his info from the Perfect Diet saying:

Well coconut oil by itself may not be enough for the hungry. Have no fear, the Perfect Health Diet book came up with another idea. It said you can consume fermented vegetables on a fast. Wouldn’t the carbs from the vegetables interfere with achieving ketosis? Nope. From the book:
    Most vegetable carbohydrates are intercepted by gut bacteria, which digest vegetable fiber into short-chain fatty acids.
    If the book is correct, I could eat coconut oil and sauerkraut and still go into ketosis. I decided to test it out.
    yada yada
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Beef heart makes a great 'steak' in steak and kidney pie. My wif just turned our last heart and kidney set into mine in the blender, then made 'muffins' for reheating for breakfasts this week.

That is very interesting about saurkraut and fasting.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Maybe have clear bone broth instead of kimchee? It might help a little with the fast rather than hurt. Although I suppose if you are purist about it, it's not really a fast if you're having soup.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post

Originally Posted by Paleobird
    Hey Betorq, glad you'll be joining us. Tell me, what is the logic behind nibbling on fermented stuff?

I think I first learned of it here linked over from MDA. And this dude got his info from the Perfect Diet saying:

Well coconut oil by itself may not be enough for the hungry. Have no fear, the Perfect Health Diet book came up with another idea. It said you can consume fermented vegetables on a fast. Wouldn’t the carbs from the vegetables interfere with achieving ketosis? Nope. From the book:
    Most vegetable carbohydrates are intercepted by gut bacteria, which digest vegetable fiber into short-chain fatty acids.
    If the book is correct, I could eat coconut oil and sauerkraut and still go into ketosis. I decided to test it out.

I never read that thread or that book. I guess I just intuited it. I do that sometimes...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    I have The Perfect Health Diet checked out from the library right now, along with 4-Hour Body. I haven't read The Perfect Health Diet yet, but I'll watch for what it says on that.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Beef heart makes a great 'steak' in steak and kidney pie. My wif just turned our last heart and kidney set into mine in the blender, then made 'muffins' for reheating for breakfasts this week.
    That is very interesting about saurkraut and fasting.
    My CSA people are pleasantly surprised that someone wants the heart so I get it really cheap. It is so tender in a stew. Could you ask your wife for the details of that meat muffin recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Maybe have clear bone broth instead of kimchee? It might help a little with the fast rather than hurt. Although I suppose if you are purist about it, it's not really a fast if you're having soup.
    As I understand it, the idea behind allowing some oil is that there is no carb or protein involved. Ooooh I know, I could do a bone marrow fast. About 500 calories of bone marrow a day. That would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    I never read that thread or that book. I guess I just intuited it. I do that sometimes...

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    My choir voice is alto but my karaoke voice is tenor.
    My choir has two wonderful lady tenors. One of them is a regular soloist, and she is amazing.

My partner is one of those who was told never to sing, first as a child and then by his ex. It took some real convincing for him to believe that I really do love it when he sings to me and that I believe he can learn. He joined a choir for the first time in his life at the age of 38, and it was so good for him.

Fasting: I'm interested to hear about your experience. I've done one day fasts but have avoided longer because of a history of ED and my concern over getting too carried away with it.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Paleobird Guest
    Well, for my pre-fast day, we had a bit of a feast tonight. Lamb chops cooked in chile butter, eggplant in turkish spice and garlic infused avocado oil, with a side of seaweed salad just cuz I wanted to use it up.
    Photo on 2012-09-03 at 18.00.jpg

Then the mousse au chocolat for dessert:

Photo on 2012-09-03 at 18.28.jpg

I am now finishing up the last of the avocados mixed up as guac with labne kefir cheese (so rich) as a snack. According to sparkpeople including the mascarpone I had for lunch and the coconut milk in my coffee, the day totals up at about 2000 calories. Usually I have about 1500.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Do you make or buy your seaweed salad? I think I may have asked you this before.

I lurrrrv it, but I looked at the ingredients once and sobbed when I saw the dreaded soybean oil and even corn syrup I think. I had decided I was going to make my own from then on, and from then on I've eaten no seaweed salad. :P Because I'm lazy. But I lurrrrv it.

Reading the EAT MOAR FAT thread, I am wondering *how* you people eat more fat. Is it just frying things in butter and dressing salads appropriately? Curious Steph is curious.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    been fasting for two days now: with a cold.

i've been having water and tea and bone broth. and sleeping. makes a big difference all of that sleeping. my waist is smaller.

i'm also putting together a team for the tough guy/gal, and then we're looking at tough mudder melbourne 2014. hmm.