Page 11 of 306 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 11

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    That's sounds delightful.

Thanks for reminding me to get the beef jerky out of the fridge and into the dehydrator. Other groceries had gone in in front of it and I forgot it was there.

I guess you don't have to be old to be forgetful.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    When you are young, the world seems like it's full of old people. When you get older, the world seems like it's full of young people.

Nice stuff with the jerky. What's your recipe? We have a pretty great one (using honey and minimal cayenne pepper) that the kids adore (meat chewing gum! yay!)

Paleobird Guest
    I don't really use a set recipe. I have both crushed garlic and ginger in jars so I started by smearing some of each into the meat. Then I mixed some wasabi into some tamari (to keep the wasabi from ending up all in a lump) and put enough of that in the bowl to get everything good and damp but not swimming. Mixed it all up by hand massaging the spices into the meat a bit. Let it sit in the fridge for a day and a half (probably didn't need that long). Now it's in the dehydrator. If this batch turns out well, I'll make some more.

Oh, the meat was grassfed beef loin trimmed of all visible fat and gristle. (The wolf cub helps with getting rid of trimmings like that.)

Paleobird Guest
    Oh my goodness! This is the best beef jerky ever. I had to try some after smelling it cooking all day. Now I can't stop munching on it. Nom. Nom. This stuff is dangerously good.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Now all I want is tataki and Japanese jerky for dinner! You people!

Any vague proportions for your dangerously good jerky, Robin? I have been known to over-tamari my jerky and it ends up very salty (I mean, I like salty, but that was too much even for me).

::: wanders off to check if there's any wasabi in the fridge :::
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    Yep, Sigi, there is another batch in the fridge marinating as we speak. I know what you mean about going a bit easier on the tamari this time. It just needs enough to get everything barely damp but not soaking. I am also upping the ginger side a bit this time to see what happens.

As far as a (very) rough recipe:

For about 2 lbs of cross grain sliced beef loin
    One handful each of crushed garlic and ginger (seriously just reach in the jar and scoop it out with your hand, who need to wash more spoons?)
    wasabi to taste (how hot can you stand it?)
    about 4 oz of tamari (judging by what's left in the bottle)

Oooh, I just had a stroke of genius and added a bit of the pickling water from a bottle of sushi ginger. Yes, it has a tad of sugar in it but sashimi just doesn't taste right without it on the plate.

We'll see how this batch turns out. My hands smell yummy.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 05-23-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    I'm realizing that Dad and I are exchanging roles in a lot of things. Examples : yesterday I needed to change two light bulbs so it was he who held the step stool and handed me the new bulb as I handed down the old one. In years past it always would have been him doing the climbing. Knife sharpening is something I never really learned how to do because my Dad always did it for me, his way of being helpful if he was visiting for dinner. I have seen him do it a million times all the years I was growing up so I know how it works. Today I sharpened both his and my knife sets which both really needed it.

It's the natural progression of things I suppose. He's still my hero even if he can't quite leap those tall buildings in single bounds anymore.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

As far as a (very) rough recipe ....
    Merci, Madame!
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Merci, Madame!
    De rien. Enjoy and report back on success or failure.

Today I am taking care of two elderly people. Meals for Dad plus my BFF needs to go to the doctor for a follow up visit regarding her recently broken nose.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't want to be taken care of by anyone else. I'll give you a call when I'm 90 and you're 105.

And yes, the roll reversal is interesting stuff for sure.

Page 11 of 306 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast