Page 103 of 306 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 103

  1. #1021
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceana View Post
    Hello Paleobird,

    I too have been quietly following your journal for some time now without posting. I'm so inspired by your journey! You have been through a lot but somehow you came through it all stronger, smarter...and dare I say sexier?! lol! What really impressed me was the fact you reversed your ostepenia! I too was diagnosed with OP and it's very heartening to hear that you kicked that to the curb as well! It seems that many factors contributed to the improvement including your diet and exercise. But is there any one (or more) things you feel directly helped improve your bone density?

    Thanks for being such a positive force on the forum and for dispensing advice so freely!
    Hi Oceana and welcome to the Birdnest.

    Yes, it has been a long road back to health for me and if anything I learned along the way could help someone else, I'm really pleased. I feel sexier at 50 than I did at 40. I look better too.

    When you are looking at chemo as something that is going to save your life (as I know it did mine) the "cosmetic" side effect like losing your hair are just not that important. Then it's over and you're not dead (Hooray!) but then you have to pick up the pieces. Chemo trashes your thyroid function, probably a big component in why I gained weight.

    It also totally screwed up my tooth enamel. I have had some pretty extensive cosmetic dentistry done to restore my teeth. The back molars were crumbling and the front teeth looked all worn down a yellow like and old horse.

    When it comes to the bones, it is just a long process of eating right, exercising, sun exposure, good sleep. Rinse, repeat. During that time shortly after chemo when my bones were still soft, I took a minor fall at the farmer's market one day and broke two fingers on my right hand which will never be straight again.

    I really don't believe in taking supplements. I think our bodies recognize and absorb vitamins and minerals more readily when they come packaged in food and drinks. I regularly drink mineral water, wheatgrass juice, and acai berry smoothies. I eat bone marrow and bone broth, organ meats, dark leafy veggies like kale and salad greens, and a lot of sea proteins and veggies. Plus I love coconut products including milk, cream, butter, cultured coconut kefir, and cooking oil. I stay with the ruminant and fish proteins as opposed to pork and chicken (the O3/O6 thing). I eat the higher fat dairy products like butter, cream, mascarpone, brie, camembert and occasional raw goat milk when my friend's goats are "putting out".

    Lately I have been experimenting with deep ketosis and I really feel that it is the state we were meant to live in. No, I can't back that up with data or studies, just my n=1. It feels like ketosis allows us to stop fighting ourselves internally and get out of our own way so that the body can do the healing it knows full well how to do.

    So I can't tell you that any one thing is the magic bullet for osteopenia, but Primal, taken seriously (no 80/20 that slides into 60/40)
    does work. You can't ignore the exercise component. Walking is a great way to get started. Just get the old bones up off the sofa and moving every day, at least a little.

  2. #1022
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,328
    About those oxtails and the fat. If you also refrigerate the cooking liquid, it turns into aspic. I actually cut up the aspic into cubes and tossed it with fresh garden tomatoes for a delicious beef jello salad. Well, it was delicious to me. I think others might cringe at beef jello. This is with oxtails simply slow-cooked with a cup of wine and some water and salt. I don't know if the tomato-based sauce would turn to aspic, but if it did, that might be quite a treat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

  3. #1023
    mdrive's Avatar
    mdrive is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    About those oxtails and the fat. If you also refrigerate the cooking liquid, it turns into aspic. I actually cut up the aspic into cubes and tossed it with fresh garden tomatoes for a delicious beef jello salad. Well, it was delicious to me. I think others might cringe at beef jello. This is with oxtails simply slow-cooked with a cup of wine and some water and salt. I don't know if the tomato-based sauce would turn to aspic, but if it did, that might be quite a treat.
    that's an interesting idea....i ladled off about 1/2 cup of fat and it's just sitting in a bowl.....wonder how it would be poured over some of the pate'....since i'm eating it with a spoon anyway....the carribean style oxtail soup really did taste superb....i did use the beer instead of red wine because i wanted a milder 'soup' so i could really taste the flavor of the meat....i have 3 big bones on a plate that still have some bits of meat on them...i may try to gnaw some of it off....i just don't do gristle or any 'hunks' of fat, it will literally make me gag....today i'm going to go for even lower carb, say 25 grams....since keeping it at 50 is not allowing me to get into ketosis apparently

  4. #1024
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    About those oxtails and the fat. If you also refrigerate the cooking liquid, it turns into aspic. I actually cut up the aspic into cubes and tossed it with fresh garden tomatoes for a delicious beef jello salad. Well, it was delicious to me. I think others might cringe at beef jello. This is with oxtails simply slow-cooked with a cup of wine and some water and salt. I don't know if the tomato-based sauce would turn to aspic, but if it did, that might be quite a treat.
    I love aspic. Beef jello salad sounds yummy.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdrive View Post
    that's an interesting idea....i ladled off about 1/2 cup of fat and it's just sitting in a bowl.....wonder how it would be poured over some of the pate'....since i'm eating it with a spoon anyway....the carribean style oxtail soup really did taste superb....i did use the beer instead of red wine because i wanted a milder 'soup' so i could really taste the flavor of the meat....i have 3 big bones on a plate that still have some bits of meat on them...i may try to gnaw some of it off....i just don't do gristle or any 'hunks' of fat, it will literally make me gag....today i'm going to go for even lower carb, say 25 grams....since keeping it at 50 is not allowing me to get into ketosis apparently
    The aspic and/or oxtail fat can also be used as a sealer on containers of pate you want to freeze. I love Caribbean flavors.

  5. #1025
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,328
    Just to be clear, the aspic formed underneath the fat from just the liquid. I could actually just peel it out of the shallow pan. In the past I would have been to afraid to taste it. I'm glad I did this time. It tasted great. Really makes me want to make headcheese someday.

    I save the fat and use it to cook other things. I've been doing that with all my crockpot stuff. Oxtail fat has a specific taste, kind of warm and breadlike to me. Tongue fat also has a peculiar taste. I've used it to make various things and I can really tell it's from tongue. I've got a lot of fat from my latest batch of bone broth. It'll be a mixture of marrow fat and pig tail fat. Should make for some interesting meals.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

  6. #1026
    Oceana's Avatar
    Oceana is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hi Oceana and welcome to the Birdnest.

    Yes, it has been a long road back to health for me and if anything I learned along the way could help someone else, I'm really pleased. I feel sexier at 50 than I did at 40. I look better too.

    When you are looking at chemo as something that is going to save your life (as I know it did mine) the "cosmetic" side effect like losing your hair are just not that important. Then it's over and you're not dead (Hooray!) but then you have to pick up the pieces. Chemo trashes your thyroid function, probably a big component in why I gained weight.

    It also totally screwed up my tooth enamel. I have had some pretty extensive cosmetic dentistry done to restore my teeth. The back molars were crumbling and the front teeth looked all worn down a yellow like and old horse.

    When it comes to the bones, it is just a long process of eating right, exercising, sun exposure, good sleep. Rinse, repeat. During that time shortly after chemo when my bones were still soft, I took a minor fall at the farmer's market one day and broke two fingers on my right hand which will never be straight again.

    I really don't believe in taking supplements. I think our bodies recognize and absorb vitamins and minerals more readily when they come packaged in food and drinks. I regularly drink mineral water, wheatgrass juice, and acai berry smoothies. I eat bone marrow and bone broth, organ meats, dark leafy veggies like kale and salad greens, and a lot of sea proteins and veggies. Plus I love coconut products including milk, cream, butter, cultured coconut kefir, and cooking oil. I stay with the ruminant and fish proteins as opposed to pork and chicken (the O3/O6 thing). I eat the higher fat dairy products like butter, cream, mascarpone, brie, camembert and occasional raw goat milk when my friend's goats are "putting out".

    Lately I have been experimenting with deep ketosis and I really feel that it is the state we were meant to live in. No, I can't back that up with data or studies, just my n=1. It feels like ketosis allows us to stop fighting ourselves internally and get out of our own way so that the body can do the healing it knows full well how to do.

    So I can't tell you that any one thing is the magic bullet for osteopenia, but Primal, taken seriously (no 80/20 that slides into 60/40)
    does work. You can't ignore the exercise component. Walking is a great way to get started. Just get the old bones up off the sofa and moving every day, at least a little.
    Paleobird, thanks for all the info on your bone building regimen! It's really helpful. I think you should write a book! wrt exercising, I've always been an avid walker and I love to hike, so for me, I think it's a combination of focusing more on functional fitness and upper body strength as well as nutrition.

    Deep ketosis sounds intense! But I'm open! The main concern I would have is that I don't want to lose any weight or my hair to fall out by going too low carb. I probably just need to research it more.

    p.s. dig your pearly whites!

  7. #1027
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Just to be clear, the aspic formed underneath the fat from just the liquid. I could actually just peel it out of the shallow pan. In the past I would have been to afraid to taste it. I'm glad I did this time. It tasted great. Really makes me want to make headcheese someday.

    I save the fat and use it to cook other things. I've been doing that with all my crockpot stuff. Oxtail fat has a specific taste, kind of warm and breadlike to me. Tongue fat also has a peculiar taste. I've used it to make various things and I can really tell it's from tongue. I've got a lot of fat from my latest batch of bone broth. It'll be a mixture of marrow fat and pig tail fat. Should make for some interesting meals.
    Oh yes, each kind of fat has it's own special mouthfeel. Marrow fat is my favorite. I think the tail fat is a little more "breadlike " because of all the cartilage/ligaments involved. Headcheese sounds messy to make but good to eat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oceana View Post
    Paleobird, thanks for all the info on your bone building regimen! It's really helpful. I think you should write a book! wrt exercising, I've always been an avid walker and I love to hike, so for me, I think it's a combination of focusing more on functional fitness and upper body strength as well as nutrition.

    Deep ketosis sounds intense! But I'm open! The main concern I would have is that I don't want to lose any weight or my hair to fall out by going too low carb. I probably just need to research it more.

    p.s. dig your pearly whites!
    Thanks. Keep on hiking. That is the best medicine in the world for you.

    Ketosis does NOT make your hair fall out. Certain mineral deficiencies do. Some people doing ketosis by just eating a couple of sticks of butter a day and not getting adequate vitamins and minerals got these deficiencies, blamed it on the ketosis, and an urban legend was born.

    I suggest the book, "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Phinney and Volek for a good understanding of the benefits of nutritional ketosis.

  8. #1028
    LauraSB's Avatar
    LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Delaware Valley
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Speaking of which tonight at the Birdnest Diner the blue plate special is Meatloaf. But not just any meatloaf. This one is grassfed beef with an egg, 1/4 cup almond meal and some italian spices mixed up. then you put half that mix down in the loaf pan and put the stuffing (which is tomatoes onions and shredded cheese) on top down the middle in a row. Then put the other half of the meat over it and seal it up around the edges and bake at 375 for about 35-40 minutes. Served with a side of mashed cauliflower. Unlimited Crio Bru refills are included with the price of your dinner.

    Attachment 8974
    Paleobird, is this the one you mentioned in "What's for dinner?" with the pesto on top? Do you just spread it on top before cooking? Does it make a sort of crust? This really interests me because DH *loves* pasta with pesto, but he would be open to anything yummy using pesto. We found grass fed ground beef and pasture/forest raised ground pork last weekend, so I'm anxious to try a meatloaf.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

  9. #1029
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    Paleobird, is this the one you mentioned in "What's for dinner?" with the pesto on top? Do you just spread it on top before cooking? Does it make a sort of crust? This really interests me because DH *loves* pasta with pesto, but he would be open to anything yummy using pesto. We found grass fed ground beef and pasture/forest raised ground pork last weekend, so I'm anxious to try a meatloaf.
    Yep, that's the one. The guy who made the one one that thread covered his loaf in bacon which I don't eat so I figured the pesto sauce would serve the same function of keeping things moist which it did nicely. Not really crusty. The pesto flavors just soaked into the meat nicely.

    Another yummy use for pesto. Have you tried kelp noodles yet? Sea Tangle is the brand I've been using and they sell them online. I use this place called Netrition.com. (They have really good prices of all kinds of things like coconut manna too.) Kelp noodles (straight out of the package) left in the fridge stirred up with some pesto sauce and left to sit for a few hours. Then saute the whole thing in a big pan and add whatever toppings you like. I made this with sea scallops a little while back. I think there is a pic of that here in my journal. So delicious.

  10. #1030
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Tonight's dinner was not very pretty but it was very tasty and very healthy. I gave blood yesterday and today I was just craving greens so I cooked up a whole bag of kale with some onion and a little bit of my homemade marinara for moisture. Then when the kale was about ready I added a whole package of spinach because it cooks more quickly. When they were both done I added a blop of sour cream. It's amazing how two big containers of greens cooked down to two reasonable sized portions. With this we had minute steaks cooked in some more of my marinara.
    So the plate was kind of a green blob next to a brown blob. Very good blobs. The Wolf Cub only got plates to lick, no leftovers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •