Page 102 of 306 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 102

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrive View Post
    PB, where do you find marrow bones and how do you cook (and eat) this? i used to pull the marrow out of my chicken drumsticks when i was a kid (turkey as well) and always ate the marrow from the 'round' bone in round steak...not sure how you make an entire meal of this!
    I get marrow bones from my meat CSA so they are grass fed beef bones. They are cross sections of thigh bone with a little meat clinging around them. You put them in a pan (not a cookie sheet because there will be oil drippage) and roast them in the oven. It is incredibly rich stuff. You really can't eat all that much.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yeah, maybe busy is a natural state for me. lol

i suppose i just like to be active, but i also like to lay about. perhaps i'm just balanced. LOL

mdrive is offline Junior Member
    Pate can be served in celery sticks or as the filling in a sandwich of two cucumber slices. The all time best pate delivery device however is a spoon. Yes, it's rich. That's the whole idea. Bacon bits sound good. You can add a lot of things to pate such as capers bell peppers, mushrooms, onions. The possibilities are endless.
    love capers....normally i would eat pate' on crackers, but a spoon works for me! i also chopped some fresh italian parsley to blend in (btw, i used my cuisinart instead of a blender and it worked beautifully) and some to garnish on top....looks quite pretty, i may serve it with some slice cucumber and tomatoes/balsamic

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I bought some marrow bones and roasted them for lunch. They were long leg bones sawed in half so they had a fat end and a thin end. I roasted them in the oven for about 35 minutes, then poked all the marrow out with a chopstick. This was not at all what I expected it to be. It tasted like just pure fat and was blobby and yellow like pure fat. Left a coating of pure fat on my plate, spoon and lips, too. Just two marrow bones was way more than enough and I felt a little queasy for a while. I think if you could blend it into a liver pate it would be way more tasty than just as it was by itself.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I bought some marrow bones and roasted them for lunch. They were long leg bones sawed in half so they had a fat end and a thin end. I roasted them in the oven for about 35 minutes, then poked all the marrow out with a chopstick. This was not at all what I expected it to be. It tasted like just pure fat and was blobby and yellow like pure fat. Left a coating of pure fat on my plate, spoon and lips, too. Just two marrow bones was way more than enough and I felt a little queasy for a while. I think if you could blend it into a liver pate it would be way more tasty than just as it was by itself.
    You could blend it in anywhere you would like a little extra body and fat like in broth. I bet it would be good in pemmican too.

I may be weird but I like it just by itself. It's like eating warm beef flavored butter. It definitely is filling. In fact I think that's what I'll have for dinner tonight. I donated blood this afternoon so I'm sure my marrow could use a little boost.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Beef flavored butter. Yeah. It did taste different than other fat. Seemed like it should go on something.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

mdrive is offline Junior Member
    well the pate tasted wonderful....extremely rich, but i was able to eat it off the plate with a spoon....my husband tried some and he really liked, but he had his on pumpernickel (toasted) he's not totally convinced of the paleo eating style, he's limiting his carb intake though, he's naturally lean and doesn't seem to have any health issues...

the oxtail 'caribbean style' soup turned out extremely well....the only issue is there is a lot of FAT floating on the surface, despite my trimming the excess fat, there is still quite a bit....typically i would 'skim' this off the top, but with paleo is that recommended? for me it would be more of a taste preference to reduce the 'excess' fat

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Bone marrow...I had NO idea it was so delicious! I cooked 3 large prebaked shank bones in the crockpot for approx 18 hours, took out one bone and strained the broth...the marrow from that bone went into a bowl 3/4 full of fresh broth and I used the stick blender...a bit of salt and pepper and I was amazed at how good it was. Wow! I expected to be put off by the texture but there were some lumps that escaped the blender and they didn't bother me at all. Wonderful stuff...and my little dog spent hours enjoying the bone, which he ate the big end off of.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Beef flavored butter. Yeah. It did taste different than other fat. Seemed like it should go on something.
    Yep, on a spoon, straight into my mouth. Sluuuurp!

Quote Originally Posted by mdrive View Post
    well the pate tasted wonderful....extremely rich, but i was able to eat it off the plate with a spoon....my husband tried some and he really liked, but he had his on pumpernickel (toasted) he's not totally convinced of the paleo eating style, he's limiting his carb intake though, he's naturally lean and doesn't seem to have any health issues...

the oxtail 'caribbean style' soup turned out extremely well....the only issue is there is a lot of FAT floating on the surface, despite my trimming the excess fat, there is still quite a bit....typically i would 'skim' this off the top, but with paleo is that recommended? for me it would be more of a taste preference to reduce the 'excess' fat
    If you make it a day in advance you can fridge it and then the fat comes off easily if you want the soup leaner. It makes great cooking fat for other things so don't toss it.

Quote Originally Posted by meeme View Post
    Bone marrow...I had NO idea it was so delicious! I cooked 3 large prebaked shank bones in the crockpot for approx 18 hours, took out one bone and strained the broth...the marrow from that bone went into a bowl 3/4 full of fresh broth and I used the stick blender...a bit of salt and pepper and I was amazed at how good it was. Wow! I expected to be put off by the texture but there were some lumps that escaped the blender and they didn't bother me at all. Wonderful stuff...and my little dog spent hours enjoying the bone, which he ate the big end off of.
    There is something wonderfully Primal about that post meal time as a tribe together with the Wolf Cub gnawing on the bones by the cave fire....

Oceana is offline Junior Member
    Hello Paleobird,

I too have been quietly following your journal for some time now without posting. I'm so inspired by your journey! You have been through a lot but somehow you came through it all stronger, smarter...and dare I say sexier?! lol! What really impressed me was the fact you reversed your ostepenia! I too was diagnosed with OP and it's very heartening to hear that you kicked that to the curb as well! It seems that many factors contributed to the improvement including your diet and exercise. But is there any one (or more) things you feel directly helped improve your bone density?

Thanks for being such a positive force on the forum and for dispensing advice so freely! :)