Page 10 of 306 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 10

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Remote condolences to your friend's family, Robin. Just thought I'd chime in, saying I sifted through all nine pages, and enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed how you were able to get people to go Primal/Paleo, with you.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    Remote condolences to your friend's family, Robin. Just thought I'd chime in, saying I sifted through all nine pages, and enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed how you were able to get people to go Primal/Paleo, with you.
    Thank you.

If you're really having trouble sleeping there are 150 pages of my old journal that you can read.

The conversions seem to come as people become ready to hear about it. You can't make them be ready, just be there with the info and support when they get there themselves.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry for your loss, Robyn.

And yes, caring for a senior is like caring for a kid, except that for the most part, the seniors have some common sense, so you don't have to worry as much about silly things like whether or not he'll try to eat scissors. Only if they have dementia.

Kids are also cute. They say things like "Momma, I don't like you so much, but I do sometimes." And "you are saying/thinking the wrong thing, momma! That is not what I was thinking/saying. That is NOT the plan!" Heh. virgos.

Paleobird Guest
    Thank you Zoe.

I don't think Dad has dementia per se but he is getting more forgetful. The same thing needs to be repeated several times before it soaks in.
    Also if he is trying to deal with a task that is too complex. he will just stop and go do something else. I think this may also be a factor in why he wasn't eating properly. Putting together a meal was just too much to think about. Too complicated, too many steps. Opening a box of crackers solved the hunger problem in only one step.

Paleobird Guest
    Dad and I did our second Primal shopping trip today. He tried to sneak some granola bars into the cart. Kind of like a kid reaching for the candy when Mom's not looking. At least with Dad I can explain to him, "This is the stuff that makes your feet swell up and hurt. Do you want to go back to that? No. Then put the granola bars back." We got him some Larabars instead. They may be a bit sweet but at least it's only fruit and nuts involved, no grains.

I made a tandoori flavored beef stew for dinner that was really tasty if I do say so myself.
    The next culinary adventure is in the fridge marinating. I am making jerky with a ginger/garlic/wasabi/tamari flavoring. It smells good enough to eat raw.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    sounds yummy.

forgetful is ok. i think you get to an age where really, you just can't be bothered by things that bother you. so you move forward, and sometimes forget whatever it was that you were doing because it was bothering you so you stopped doing it.

my great grandmother would just hang up the phone when she was finished talking. it was never rude, she was just finished. LOL it wasn't mean spirited or dementia, it was more like "i'm 85 now. time to go and water the hydrangea."

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    my great grandmother would just hang up the phone when she was finished talking. it was never rude, she was just finished. LOL it wasn't mean spirited or dementia, it was more like "i'm 85 now. time to go and water the hydrangea."
    Off topic, but... That was not just your great grand-mother. That was everyone of that generation, more or less. Different phone customs then. And they cost more, so people tended to keep things short. You see it in old films before about 1950. When people were finished talking they would just hang up.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    sounds yummy.
    forgetful is ok. i think you get to an age where really, you just can't be bothered by things that bother you. so you move forward, and sometimes forget whatever it was that you were doing because it was bothering you so you stopped doing it.
    Dad also has a tenancy to "forget" things he would rather not deal with as true, like the limited amount of fruit diabetics are supposed to eat.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Off topic, but... That was not just your great grand-mother. That was everyone of that generation, more or less. Different phone customs then. And they cost more, so people tended to keep things short. You see it in old films before about 1950. When people were finished talking they would just hang up.
    True. Phones weren't for chatting back then. You said the essentials and got off the line.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The next culinary adventure is in the fridge marinating. I am making jerky with a ginger/garlic/wasabi/tamari flavoring. It smells good enough to eat raw.
    I made Beef tataki today and it was amazing!!! Barely seared beef, sliced into a vinegar citrus marinade, served with tamari and wasabi. Mooshi!!!! (I can't take credit for that, the 5 year old came up with it.)
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Page 10 of 306 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast