Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Taralynn McNitt, the Undressed Skeleton page 4

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I don't see what is interesting about it. A lot of people follow this form of diet -- which is similar to so many plans like weight watchers, etc -- and a lot of people loose weight non-primally and so on and so forth. Who am I to argue that different things can work?

After all, I wasn't "wrecked" in any particular way when I ate CW, nor as a vegan per se (ultimately, I needed more cholesterol, but that wasn't necessariyl the fault of veganism, so much as my own genetic history), nor as a vegetarian, nor as primal (though i haven't done the more "extreme" -- to me at least -- things that I've seen on here. Just basic, run of the mill primal).

I don't get why it's interesting to you. Perhaps explain?
    She seems happy eating muffins for breakfast, grains at many meals per day etc. I knew by the time I was in my late 20s that this was not really healthy. Her advice may work for some people but many will *never* really be healthy starting every day with a bran muffin. Yes, I think the phenomenon that "I've lost weight and have a website to tell you all about it" is kind of interesting because it's so common- everyone has an opinion it seems on what is "healthy".

It's also kind of interesting to me that the US weighed 200 lbs as a teen which she blames on junk food and eating too much. I ate junk in my teens and at times quite a bit and the most I ever weighed was 120. Just proves we're all different according to our genetics.

biancaaa is offline Member
    I have read her blog before I went primal/semi-primal and my only gripe about it is that she uses a lot of "low fat" products as well as artificial sweeteners and "sugar free" foods. I have no problem with her ruining her body with these chemicals, however, she is spreading this advice around to young impressionable girls and playing it off as if it were "healthy." I just think that spreading that information is terrible but at the same time, the food industry does it to us everyday anyways.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    First, I don't really think that it is interesting that different things work for different people.

This seems self evident. There are studies that we are best adapted to our heritage diet. Thai people do better on thai food; scandinavians do better on scandinavian foods. And, each diet is actually quite healthy in general when it's whole foods, etc. This is why things like a traditional mediterranean diet can work for pretty much anyone, but it's best when practiced by people who live and/or come from that area. Same with asian diets, same with traditional diets across the board.

We (primal/paleo folk) happen to take that one step further and say that we are drawing the lines between the paleo vs neo as another aspect of heritage.

Second, it's really obvious to me that this is not about grains. The real information that comes from the site is that the young woman follows a calorie restricted diet. Even in *this* diet, a lot of people find calorie restriction to be quite helpful. Paleobird wrote a great post about it -- one that is quite popular and probably should be a sticky. This is not to say that we are talking about restricting into anorexia or eating disorders -- but even good foods often need to be restricted, or rather, should be calibrated to meet the individual's needs.

Third, I grant that I do not consider the young woman's diet "healthy."

Overall, I consider her caloric ratios basically fine. She's choosing to go 50% carb, 30% protein, 10-15% fat. This is entirely possible as well with a paleo diet -- as there are several folks on the board who choose to eat this way, as well as other paleos who eat this way who are not on these boards. There are also other formations -- such as a zone, where either fat or protein will be at the higher percentage, and for some people, carbs are. So, no big deal there.

The real concern for me is using chemical-laden products. I think she simply isn't knowledable about this yet, and that is likely because of the sources that she is reading. She seems to have a clear research pattern around things similar to Oprah, Shape Magazine, and perhaps a magazine like Seventeen or Cosmo (at her current age), all of which would talk about how these products are so good for you because they are low fat, fat free, sugar free, etc. She's 21, I don't expect her awareness to be so wide yet.

Similarly, it is these chemicals -- not her caloric intake and it's primary origins per se -- that are going to ultimately cause her trouble. This will be even if she never gains weight. We know -- or at least suspect -- that this is the case, or she may be particularly resilient. Some people are. But, I suspect that she'll end up with problems in the next 20 years.

But she's not alone in this. This is CW! So many people -- much older than her -- deny the very fundamental idea that the chemical load is problematic. So many people say "if it were harmful, it wouldn't be FDA approved!" Yet we know that so many things are and yet are or are later discovered to be harmful! Perhaps this is cognitive disconnect, perhaps it is willful ignorance, perhaps it is just ignorance.

I suspect that this young woman hasn't gone down this rabbit hole yet. She hasn't started to dig deeper into nutriton because she got the results she wanted. And, she's sharing her experience and what she knows. And the basics of it aren't necessarily incorrect (the caloric restriction, movement, and even the ratios of macronutrients per se), it may just be that certain aspects of it are detrimental (chemicals, processed foods, etc).

It is also likely that she'll eventually stretch and learn. She seems a vibrant, driven person.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Eh, just CW horseshit. Being that age, she could fill her meals with sno-balls and ding dongs and weigh/look the same. I ate like absolute crap in college and drank 10,000 beers and maintained a normal physique. The power of young male metabolism.

She has a decent site design with some nice pictures and she's cute. BFD. There are shit tons of people that eat grain and maintain normal weight.

The most intriguing thing about this post is the post itself. What's the purpose? There are probably thousands of blogs out there with CW nutrition advice wrapped in cool little packages. Why this one? Something about her bothers you to the core. Very interesting.

If you really want to focus some anger issues, go to the vegan forums
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 05-10-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hi FH,
    Tiny quantities of food+lots of exercise+a very young healthy body=fashionably thin. Now it would really be interesting if she were making this work and healthy at 45. A young body can deal with lots of abuse. Not so much later in life.

About someone saying you had an eating disorder, that was out of line, IMO. But then, if it makes you feel any better, several people here said that I must have an eating disorder because I had the temerity to suggest that counting calories might be helpful in some situations. *Shrug*
    You count calories? ARE YOU INSANE? Lol, I'm kidding, of course. It actually works, go figure!

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    I am 5'7 and I want to get to 125 pounds so that I am in the lowest of the "healthy" range however I always weigh more than I look so it is difficult to put a weight goal in mind. I have to say it is very difficult to not be jealous when I see healthy, normal weight women who can eat whatever they want or get away with it more often because I have PCOS and hormone/thyroid issues the past 8 years and I get jealous of people in their 20s who stayed hot and don't have any issues and can lose weight or maintain it easily! I feel like my 20s have been ruined. (I'm 28) I would love to look like her right now! lol
    Last edited by primalprincess7; 05-11-2012 at 06:24 PM.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    If you read her BIO section, she actually lost a lot of weight. there are pics too.

Undressed Skeleton — Brief Biography!
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it's out of the ordinary at all. Most of the world do not eat primal and people come in all sizes and shapes. I was like her when I was in college, eating a grain-based vegetarian diet. Ultimately weight is determined by calories in/calories out. Health is another matter but certainly one can live a CW lifestyle and not suffer through it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by primalprincess7 View Post
    I am 5'7 and I want to get to 125 pounds so that I am in the lowest of the "healthy" range however I always weigh more than I look so it is difficult to put a weight goal in mind. I have to say it is very difficult to not be jealous when I see healthy, normal weight women who can eat whatever they want or get away with it more often because I have PCOS and hormone/thyroid issues the past 8 years and I get jealous of people in their 20s who stayed hot and don't have any issues and can lose weight or maintain it easily! I feel like my 20s have been ruined. (I'm 28) I would love to look like her right now! lol
    Well that's just it. I didn't have terrible health problems on a higher carb diet in my 20s though I was rarely really skinny on it, only briefly due to sure the calorie balance- I worked out a lot. However, after my late 20s I didn't exercise as much and reduced calories etc and started to have a lot of health problems. U.S. isn't an athlete; she exercises some but it's not what she mainly does. Who knows, maybe she will never have health problems. I certainly never could have imagined the health issues I developed due to a low fat, low carb, low calorie diet in my 30s, not by a long shot.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i was at my skinniest in my late teens when i ate mostly wrigley's chewing gum and diet coke, moon pies, mac n cheese out of a box, and mall chinese food.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast