Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kefir questions page

Pamsc is offline Senior Member

Kefir questions

Primal Fuel
    I got kefir grains from Cultures for Health, and it only took them a few days to start making delicious kefir. But I have a couple of questions. It is warm in my house already, upper 70s during the day, and it takes less than 12 hours for three cups of kefir to be ready, starting from cold milk. The folks at Cultures for Health say the kefir grains should be kept at room temperature making kefir most of the time, only storing in the refrigerator occasionally. But that is much more kefir than I need. Have other people successfully used grains long-term making kefir maybe every other day and keeping them in the refrigerator the rest of the time? My theory is to strain out the grains, add them to fresh milk, put that in the refrigerator a day or two, and then bring it out to room temperature to culture.

I'm used to pouring off the whey of yogurt, occasionally using it in cooking but mostly discarding it, so my first assuption was to pour off the whey from the kefir before using it in my smoothie. Am I wasting good nutrition that way, would it be better to stir it in?

Crofter is offline Member
    You can make kefir in the fridge too. I do it and it takes a lot longer and tends to be less "fizzy". I also sometimes make the kefir and then strain it and store it in the fridge, I leave the grains, unrinsed, in the jar in the fridge til I next make it. This is sometimes a few days and it seems not to damage it. I've had the same grains for about 4 months now.
    As to the whey, I just stir it back into the kefir and drink the whole thing.

Hope this helps

Dave

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Strain the whey off and use it as they do in "Nourishing Traditions". For making sauerkraut, soaking buckwheat for pancakes, soaking legumes to get rid of anti-nutrients etc.

The_Undead_Pixie is offline Junior Member
    I keep my kefir fermenting for 24 hours before straining it and putting the result in the fridge for 24-48 hours, and then start again. I have been doing this for a year. I tend to make 1 pint at a time while keeping a pint in the frdige.

As for the whey, it is really up to you what you do but is there any reason you do not just mix it back in? Even with the yoghurt it seems to be a bit of a waste to discard it.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_undead_pixie View Post
    i keep my kefir fermenting for 24 hours before straining it and putting the result in the fridge for 24-48 hours, and then start again. I have been doing this for a year. I tend to make 1 pint at a time while keeping a pint in the frdige.

As for the whey, it is really up to you what you do but is there any reason you do not just mix it back in? Even with the yoghurt it seems to be a bit of a waste to discard it.
    ^ this
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Gotsouthern is offline Junior Member
    Excellent topic. I've got some grains on the way and I'm very curious to hear what folks with experience have to say.

One big question I have is what do most of you use for your base? I get raw milk fairly regular but is it possible to use full-fat organic store bought ( read: pasturized ) ? Just curious.

OP-Sorry for the minor hijack there lol.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotsouthern View Post
    Excellent topic. I've got some grains on the way and I'm very curious to hear what folks with experience have to say.

One big question I have is what do most of you use for your base? I get raw milk fairly regular but is it possible to use full-fat organic store bought ( read: pasturized ) ? Just curious.

OP-Sorry for the minor hijack there lol.
    You can use pasteurised. I usually get raw milk, but the farm I get it from had a TB scare and a cow (in calf, sadly) had to be destroyed. The further tests on the poor thing were negative, but the farm now has to wait for further tests so meanwhile I bought and used - successfully - pasteurised, full fat milk.

lennifer is offline Junior Member
    Just bumping this thread as I have a similar kefir question. My problem is the opposite though - my kitchen is quite cool (due to winter having landed) and my kefir is taking a long time to ferment. It's been sitting out for 4 days now and still not ready. I've turned on the heating in an attempt to speed it along and think it should be done by tomorrow, but does it matter if it's taking a long time? Drinking milk that's been sitting out for 4-5 days doesn't sound like a great idea but I don't know if the kefir changes this.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    put it next to your slow cooker or on top of the fridge. You might need less milk until you have more culture.

And I put my grains in the fridge how often and how long I want. No biggie, they are thriving.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do you store them in the fridge in a jar of milk? How much? I just received some grains today but will only be making kefir once a week or once every two weeks when I get milk. That is if we can use the kefir (we are all lactose intolerant).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast