Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kefir questions page 2

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Strain the whey off and use it as they do in "Nourishing Traditions". For making sauerkraut, soaking buckwheat for pancakes, soaking legumes to get rid of anti-nutrients etc.
    Reading this thread again I am appalled that I used to use whey in sauerkraut! Now I don't - just salt and the juice from cabbage (add brine if not enough juice) and the sauerkraut is FAR better. I use a harsch crock and it is really good. Useful link as to why whey is not good for kraut

No Whey? No way! Pickle Me Too

I stir the whey back into the kefir now.

I find the grains are fairly indestructable - they store in the fridge for weeks in milk - just strain them, rinse in tap water and tip into fresh milk and off they go again!

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal123 View Post
    Do you store them in the fridge in a jar of milk? How much? I just received some grains today but will only be making kefir once a week or once every two weeks when I get milk. That is if we can use the kefir (we are all lactose intolerant).
    Many dairy products used to badly affect my asthma and also gave digestive issues. Kefir has been really beneficial - I can now tolerate it well and I think it has helped me tolerate cheese and milk based sauces too.

When I am not using the kefir grains I store them in milk in the fridge where they seem to survive happily for up to a month. I rinse them in a stainless steel sieve using a stainless steel spoon to push them around and rinse in tap water. All the things which rumour has it kills the grains - it doesn't. Just tip them back into a container of fresh milk and leave at room temperature and they'll leap back into action.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to do with extra grains? Mine keep profilerating - loads of little cauliflower like things, which seem to double every week or so. I'm putting them in the compost at present, but I wonder if they are edible?

lennifer is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post
    You might need less milk until you have more culture.
    Yeah, along with the cold temperature, I think I just used a bit too much milk. And actually think I left it a little too long in the end, as it was quite thick and difficult to get through the strainer! Seems to have turned out ok afterall. Quite tart but I've had a few sips here and there and nothing scary going on in my stomach so I think I'm good!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12