Page 29 of 79 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: I'll dump my stuff here page 29

billp is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It amazes me you are able to count calories at all. I wouldn't be able to. I just switch off. I don't even weigh things.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    It amazes me you are able to count calories at all. I wouldn't be able to. I just switch off. I don't even weigh things.
    Yeah it sucks..
    Billie trips balls

I don't see how I NEED to eat carbs after every workout when you probably got enough glycogen in your liver for at least 24-48 hours. I'd say the only essential thing after a workout is protein. I don't think carb timing is really all that important?
    Billie trips balls

I need to cut dairy a bit, My skin is getting worse since I've been upping my dairy intake
    Billie trips balls

Carb timing is not important. I am saying that during your period of recovery in the days after a gym visit you will need (and crave) carbs, because you will be doing a lot of cell division to repair existing muscles and to grow new ones, as well as to grow.

The reason I know that is that I haven't craved sugar for years, but now when I lift weights, in the days after I get this - ping - that I never used to get, where I want ice cream. I can eat it and feel fine, and I don't feel right until I do, or something similarly sugary. And I don't get a sugar hangover, or a sugar rush, like I was used to get. Sugar is a carb. Same stuff really.

Now, I haven't been able to do that in years. The last time I could metabolise sugar like that was, well, when I was a child and until some time in my late teens. So it makes sense to me. You are more active than me, and you are growing, and you will have a faster metabolism. So if I need sugar in those circumstances, you are going to need more.

I don't know why you are even thinking about glycogen. Only diabetics worry about glycogen. Healthy people just make it when they need it.

I don't know why you are even thinking about glycogen. Only diabetics worry about glycogen. Healthy people just make it when they need it.
    I'm just interested in all that kind of stuff. Sometimes I ask questions here not because I'm worried about something, but just because I'm interested. So sometimes it's a bit bothering that people immediately say things like "don't obsess" etc. without answering the question

So carb timing isn't important, what about protein timing?
    Billie trips balls

You're asking me? How am I supposed to know? Ask me a sensible question.

Hey billp, I think you maybe right about your theory that you need more "primal" calories than "SAD" calories to maintain the same weight. I can't say with certainty how many calories I consumed back on SAD, but I tried to calculate it and it was really a MAX of 3000. Then I Started eating primal, probably the same amount of calories and started losing. And as you know I'm now eating 5000 to gain slowly. I think it's pretty interesting, don't you think?
    Billie trips balls

You're asking me? How am I supposed to know? Ask me a sensible question.
    I don't know, maybe you knew
    Billie trips balls

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    About a decade ago, I was talking with a man I'd met at a poetry-translation related event. He was a smart, older man with grown children. He asked me, "If you want children, why don't you have children yet?"

And I answered "Because I don't want to be like the women that I see. I see women whose whole lives revolve around their kids. I see women who don't know themselves, who are overworked, over stressed, and over weight. I see women who pretend to be happy, who throw themselves into their kids and live vicariously through them, and ultimately, have no idea who they are in themselves. I watch them do selfish and destructive things -- to their families, to each other. And it seems to me that it happens because of kids, because when you say "well why don't you just do X instead of whaty ou are doing if you are so unhappy?" They tell me "well, you know, I have kids, and they need to have lives like everyone else. . ." so everyone is essnetially playing a game, a game where they are trying to do what everyone else is doing so that their kids will be happy, but no one is doing anything they really want to do, anything that makes them happy."

"I just don't want to become that."

And he said to me: "Because you see it exists, you already know that you won't become that. It isn't the children that causes that, it's the decision that the woman makes. Make different decisions, you'll have different outcomes."

Moral of the story:

You don't need to worry about preventing weight gain when you are 40 when you are 15. You can worry about it when you are 40.

Because guess what? If you are 15 and taking good care of yourself, you will be healthy. And you will do that when you are 16. And you will do it when you are 17. And you will do it when you are 25. And you will do it when you are 35.

I have known my husband since he was 23. He started running, daily, when he was 14. When he was 18, he went to university and ran on the university's cross country team.

He got injured. He rehabilitated himself with weight training. He got into triathlons. He got out of triathlons. He kept lifting weights and casually running.

And that's when I met him, when he was 23.

He turned 40 two weeks ago.

Between age 23 and 40, he has run and worked out every week without fail. He had always had a healthy diet. He has never had the experiences that many people on this board have had.

It is because you already know. So you don't need to worry about later. You just need to take care of yourself now, and continue to do so (with proper adaptations as you age and learn more about yourself, etc) until you die.

It doesn't mean you have to be concerned about it now.

And btw, my friend was right. I found another way to parent -- and I'm none of those things that I feared being. Many of my friend's aren't.

Page 29 of 79 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast