Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking teeth! page

Rattybag is offline Senior Member

Breaking teeth!

Primal Fuel
    Ive been on a ketogenic / Paleo diet since the start of Feb of this year and am fed up of going back and forth to the dentist with broken and chipped teeth!
    Though he tells me I probably grind my teeth in the night I do wonder if its a deficiency in something relating to my new way of eating.
    Has anyone else found this to be a problem? And what did you do about it?

I have read it can be a Vitamin D and Calcium deficiency but I get plenty of both so really dont think thats the cause!

Any suggestions or thoughts?
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

lissee is offline Senior Member
    I just stumbled across this concept a couple of days ago, but maybe you need to focus on re-mineralizing your teeth, getting trace elements back into your diet. etc.

Here are a couple of posts about it:
    How to Remineralize Teeth Naturally | Wellness Mama
    Diet and Tooth Remineralization Strengthen Enamel Naturally with diet, Reverse enamel demineralization;

I don't have any chipping teeth, but my teeth are sensitive (have been for a while now, long before I discovered the Primal lifestyle) and I can tell they are starting to become a little transparent. Anyway, I've ordered some trace minerals from drugstore.com, and am looking into incorporating bone broth into my diet (make sure to use vinegar, wine, or lemon juice if you make your own).

Here are some recipes for how to make bone broth, I haven't tried them yet, but am looking forward to doing so:
    Easy Recipe: Mineral-Rich Bone Broth | Balanced Bites | Holistic & Paleo Nutrition Coaching & Seminars
    following my nose...: Five Great Reasons to Make Bone Broth

Good luck!!

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste Recipe | Wellness Mama

this toothpaste recipe looks interesting, has anyone tried it?

Drmike is offline Member
    I am a dentist and I can tell you that if you are grinding your teeth at night that is why they are chipping and breaking. It has nothing to do with a primal diet. Get yourself a night guard or have your dentist make you one it should solve your problems

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you need more K2 vitamin, to get the calcium go inside the teeth and bones?
    I've also read somewhere that too much coffee can make people grind their teeth... But it must be an imbalance in your life or diet, since it started after you went ketogenic I would suppose.

Phosphorus is also important for strong teeth and bones: The Benefits of Phosphorus
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

Drmike is offline Member
    I will say this again as a professional . You don't just start chipping teeth from changing your diet especially in a matter of months. If you are grinding your teeth that is your answer. Many different stressors can trigger you to grind your teeth more such as a change in lifestyle. You don't need to start thinking of crazy ways to remineralize your teeth have your dentist make you a night guard and reduce stress 90% of fancy toothpastes are all the same and they won't protect your teeth from chipping and breaking if you are grinding away all night. I doubt Grok even used a toothbrush or toothpaste (I am in no way suggesting we all abandon our toothbrushes and toothpaste although it would help my business)

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    There are tooth protectors/bite plates/mouth guards you can buy at stores.
    If you want one that's a perfect fit, go to a local orthodontist and have one made just for you! It'll safe your teeth!
    I cannot believe that your dentist hasn't suggested THAT!

Go to a ortho that deals with braces to get one made asap.

Drmike is offline Member
    Actually any general dentist can make you a night guard to protect your teeth an orthodontist will just charge you a lot more

ASC
    ASC is offline Member
    I've also come across the issue of teeth chipping after switching to a primal diet and have been very concerned. My dentist told me pretty much exactly what Drmike stated.

About two weeks ago a got a custom night guard from my dentist, which cost $600 (only $300 out-of-pocket after insurance). It was more than I wanted to pay, but each time I fixed a chipped tooth, it would cost about $200.

As it has only been a couple of weeks, so I don't know yet if this has fixed the problem.
    Last edited by ASC; 05-06-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    as far as the tooth paste goes, we make tooth powder simply by mixing calcium carbonate with xylitol- it tastes like powdered sugar! i'd try drmike's suggestion about the dental guard, but i have read that certain trace mineral deficiencies can lead to grinding teeth. it's worth looking into, after you get the dental guard for the interim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast