Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parkour! page 2

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    cool. we are mostly practicing quadruped walk and jumping with precision and accuracy.

definitely do-able stuff on there.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I enjoy watching young folk doing Parkour around Bristol - it's very popular here. Not something I could ever do, but I certainly appreciate watching it done well.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I enjoy watching young folk doing Parkour around Bristol - it's very popular here. Not something I could ever do, but I certainly appreciate watching it done well.
    This guy is pretty well-known (he actually just show a commercial for an American bubble gum brand "5" gum) and he makes some really good points in this video. I find myself in agreement with most of what he says.

Choose Not To Fall - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    This guy is pretty well-known (he actually just show a commercial for an American bubble gum brand "5" gum) and he makes some really good points in this video. I find myself in agreement with most of what he says.

Choose Not To Fall - YouTube
    Cool - I love this guy's accent.

I'm scared of heights and have hypermobile joints - so frustrating. Otherwise I would love to have a go. On the other hand I managed to do a cartwheel last time I tried about 7 years ago... Perhaps I should forge a girly wimps version on grass.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Cool - I love this guy's accent.

I'm scared of heights and have hypermobile joints - so frustrating. Otherwise I would love to have a go. On the other hand I managed to do a cartwheel last time I tried about 7 years ago... Perhaps I should forge a girly wimps version on grass.
    Yeah everybody has to start somewhere. There's also a butt-load of training and tons of failure that doesn't (typically) get showcased, so what we end up seeing are those odd runs that are actually successful and stuff. The Apex movement parkour group posted a long video of such stuff to remind everyone that it's all about practice and not being discouraged when things don't happen. Goes for all sports, clearly.

As a beginner, we are not far off the ground at all. With our jumps, we were jumping from the ground to a stair, and then from the ground to the ground.

On the demon drills, there are several things at the 'beginner level" for "games and drills" where you aren't even off the ground (or if you are, you aren't very far).

There is no requirement to go up high, or do anything beyond what you feel comfortable doing. That's part of the philosophy of parkour.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Hey, there's a Dunedin group. Awesome.

I might have to look into this.

Cool. I might have a go by myself in the park then, jumping on and off tree stumps and the like. I like the aspects that Parkour is whole body stuff and has an artistic quasi-dance element.

This has given me food for thought, as I do fitness hula hooping with a few stunts. I'll challenge myself to walking along the top of a low wall while hooping. I can do small jumps forward or on the spot while hooping so I'll see if I can manage jumping up onto a low object with it as well.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Ah, I get this now. This is that running and jumping over buildings and walls thing that I saw two French guys do on TV a few years ago.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast