Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watched a guy do 35 straight minutes of Kettlebell swings today. page

Watched a guy do 35 straight minutes of Kettlebell swings today.

Primal Fuel
    Dispite how incredibly boring that has to get is this safe to do? I think i could do it and the dude was absolutely drenched in sweat so it was obviously viscious cardio.

IrishElleWoods is offline Junior Member
    I've no official kettle bell training, but it strikes me that because it's so similar to rowing crew and it's quite common to do intense bits of work for 20-25 mins during a 60-80 minute session on the water, that it's likely to be safe. Terribly dull, as you point out, but safe nonetheless.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    He is a stud. Unless is was a 5 lb bell.

mgeoffriau is offline Junior Member
    The average guy that picks up a 1 pood kettlebell will have a hard time doing 2-handed swings for 3.5 minutes straight, much less 35 minutes. It is super-intense cardio...there's a study out there that compared the cardio effort to running 6 minute miles.

It is not, however, something to just screw around with. At the very least, get a good book and watch a bunch of videos before you try it, and go slow and be very careful with your form.

billp is offline Senior Member
    I have a 1 pood / 36lb kettlebell and I count myself doing well taking it for a two mile walk. Must try swinging it about more. Am giving myself a two week break from deadlifts after making my back sore.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    wow why would you?
    KB swings are tough! How heavy was it though?

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    I'm not saying it is easy but there are different styles of kettlebell training. One style (girevoy sport) is endurance based on focuses on conserving energy while not setting the bell down for long periods. It would absolutely be possible using this approach to swing a 1 pood bell for 35 minutes without putting it down and switching hands (something you did not mention) every few minutes. If the lifter never switched hands I would be impressed though If he switched hands every minute or so, took it slow, and focused on conserving strength, it's definitely possible. World class athletes stay under tension doing long cycle clean and jerk with 2 pood bells in each hand for 10 minutes so using a 1 pood in one hand (1/4 of the overall weight I just mentioned) doing swings is doable.

Another style of lifting focuses on short, intense bursts of efforts that are never meant to last that long.

Kayay68 is offline Junior Member
    I train girevoy sport (snatch)--my first competition is in a couple weeks. 35 minutes of swings is great exercise, and not as boring as you might think, if you can get a rhythm going. I find it like training on the erg. Were I you, I might try with a shorter set, though, my first time out. You will be sore!

Also, make sure your form is dialed in. I cringe when I see most people swinging at the gym. Be patient, and let the bell come back to you on the downswing. The swing is a posterior chain exercise -- there is no reason to swing the bell above shoulder level, especially if you are doing a long set. Drive with the hips; I like to think of my arms as nothing more than a rope.

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayay68 View Post
    I train girevoy sport (snatch)--my first competition is in a couple weeks. 35 minutes of swings is great exercise, and not as boring as you might think, if you can get a rhythm going. I find it like training on the erg. Were I you, I might try with a shorter set, though, my first time out. You will be sore!

Also, make sure your form is dialed in. I cringe when I see most people swinging at the gym. Be patient, and let the bell come back to you on the downswing. The swing is a posterior chain exercise -- there is no reason to swing the bell above shoulder level, especially if you are doing a long set. Drive with the hips; I like to think of my arms as nothing more than a rope.
    Agreed. Just did an easy 25 mins (1000 swings) the other day with the pood. I can go 500 straight with 1.5 pood. My own training's a mashup of sport and hardstyle, but my trainer is an RKC I. 100% on technique and dialing in the swing, and if you're the one doing it, it's not boring. For most beginners, the grip will be the limiting factor, either strength or skin will give fairly early.

KimT is offline Senior Member
    I agree, it depends on the weight and the style of swings being done. I, along with my husband and a friend, have done an hour of hand to hand swings where I used a 12kg, they both used a 16kg. We've also done sport competitions and a 1 hour long cycle event (clean and jerk each time) for charity. That was rough, I did 484 reps with a 16kg bell without putting it down. On New Year's Day we had a group do 20 minutes 1 bell 2 hand swings without putting it down, other than to switch weights. Get it? 2012. I used a 24kg, a 20kg, and a 16kg. Obviously we've been training for some time and weren't beginners. It is completely possible, yes it's cardio, yes it can be boring, but it's a great sense of accomplishment. There are guys that have lifted bells for 12 hours straight. That is a bit crazy. If you decide to try it, be sure to work up to it and be sure you have the technique down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast