Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stomach pains page

primalmontana is offline Senior Member

Stomach pains

Shop Now
    I have been eating a lower-carb diet since February and adopted a more primal approach in march (have slipped pretty consistently 2-3x/week.) Recently, however, I have been feeling pretty sick after eating my primal diet. Feeling nauseous, bloated and crampy.

A typical day:
    B: coffee, 2-3 eggs and veggies in bacon grease or coconut oil. Sometimes add in 2 slices of bacon.
    L: BAS w/ steak, tuna, chicken, or ground beef, and coconut oil vinegarette
    D: steak or ground beef, shrimp, or chicken w/ steamed or roasted veggies and butter
    S: occasionally nuts (peacans,pistachios, almonds,) or almond butter, or a protein shake

Nutrients (weekly average)
    Cal: 1500 ish
    Fat: 100 g or less
    Carbs: less than 100g (trying to lose weight)
    Pro: 150 or less

I don't know if I've lost weight but where my stomach is is flat but then lower is bloated ( I never have a problem with this and usually have visible abs)

WHAT IS GOING ON? Too much fat? Protein?
    I also drink kombucha which seems to help but I want to know the root of the problem. I don't feel like I should be suffering from carb flue anymore either.

Thoughts?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Eggs and nuts are both very high in lectins and can cause GI upset for lots of people. I would eliminate them for a week and see if it help.s/
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

NobleSavage is offline Member
    Eliminate eggs? Given that most of the primal population eat eggs daily and are not reporting this problem i doubt that its the eggs.
    I'd say try to lower carbs (eliminate fruit + cut starchy veggies). On my 'high' carb days i tend to be alittle more bloated than usually.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NobleSavage View Post
    Eliminate eggs? Given that most of the primal population eat eggs daily and are not reporting this problem i doubt that its the eggs.
    I'd say try to lower carbs (eliminate fruit + cut starchy veggies). On my 'high' carb days i tend to be alittle more bloated than usually.
    Sorry - but you are wrong about the eggs. Just because lots of people tolerate them well, it doesn't mean everyone can. I have seen at least 5-6 people on this forum who had to give them up because of GI upset. May not be it, but it is worthy trying.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

100g of carbs is on the high end of things. Most days I sit around 60-70. I rarely eat feuit or starchy veg. My carbs are mainly coming from leafy veg, cruciferous, bell peppers, etc.

Yesterday I had the worst stomachache after eating a stir-fry w/ serloin, bok choy, celery, onion, and riced cauliflower. I eat until I'm satisfied, not overly-full.

Give up eggs!!?? Oh god, now I don't know what to have for breakfast.

Another interesting note, my pain seems to be eliminated by cheese or other dairy. Odd?

In the stomach it's kind of a dull (always there) nauseous pain. Lower it's bloating.

I will try different foods at a time, see what I come up with.

I also recently started some fertility medication. This is round 2 and I don't remember these problems the first time. Could be related to that as well. But it's weird that it happens after I eat.

NobleSavage is offline Member
    Honestly we're all in the dark on things like these. Sure we can make educated guesses. But it could be a zillion different things. With so many variables you're probably best left with doing what Sihana suggests.

spincycle is offline Senior Member
    I had the same issues within a month of going primal. Daily nuts were the problem for me, they made my stomach sensitive, and then when I added all the extra veggies I was getting stomach aches after every meal. Try eliminating the nuts for a few weeks and see if that helps.

carolinanc8 is offline Junior Member
    I have to say I'm in the same boat. I'm on day 11 of the 21 day Primal eating and the first few days I was fine but now after every meal I am bloated and cramping and have stomach pains. Maybe it is the nuts because I haven't been eating eggs. Not sure why it would bother me after meals when I didn't eat nuts? Wondering like you, if it's too much fat or protein? Funny thing is today for lunch I had chicken stir fry with many of the things you listed and right after eating I started feeling bad. Hope we can figure this out soon!

kathleen is online now Senior Member
    Go to the doctor and get food allergy bloodwork... I was at a loss for years, turns out I was allergic to several foods I ate daily.

Elimination works, but takes forever. Bloodwork is easier.

Since you say milk and cheese helps you feel better, I wonder if you have a bacterial imbalance. There are a number of probiotics in milk and cheese which aid with digestion. Perhaps buy a bottle of probiotic pills and see if that helps with stomach upset.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast