Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Lift or Sprint? page

  1. #1
    teach2183's Avatar
    teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    1,057

    Lift or Sprint?

    Primal Fuel
    A little background to go with my question...
    I am 29yo, mother of 2 young children. I SAH with them and we spend lots of time outside. I also work 15-20hrs each week from home. I play indoor soccer 1 night each week, at least 15 minutes on the field, sometimes more. I am finding it difficult to carve out more than 1 other night for exercise, because we value our family time and by the time my husband gets home it's usually time to start dinner.

    Saturday afternoons my husband takes the kids to the store for some bonding time. So I have some time to get in a good workout and focus on me. Should I be using this time to get in a good strength training workout or sprinting? I'm initially thinking the soccer counts as sprinting so I should lift.

  2. #2
    Littlesigh's Avatar
    Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Thule Greenland (76N 68W)
    Posts
    191
    I would vote lift heavy, as Mark suggests, if it is once a week it will prime you for later life as it is harder to start lifting when you are old!...... OR... just chill with a good book as it sounds like you don't get much "down" time!
    Living the dream, inside a myth

  3. #3
    apple's Avatar
    apple is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    343
    This is a good question, I'd like to know the answer as well. Additionally, is it "too much" to do a weight lifting session immediately followed by a sprint? Assuming it would all be done in under an hour, anyway... Is there a physiological reason not to do both on the same day?
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

    2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

  4. #4
    Forever Young's Avatar
    Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    York Pa.
    Posts
    592
    Do something along the lines of Body by Science. Its high intensity weight training. The workouts are hard but only last 15 minutes at the most and are done once a week to allow for maximum recovery. They have a website and many videos online to demonstrate the exercises and execution. Its a full body workout and the principles apply to free weights as well as machines.

    You are getting plenty of sprint type work with the soccer.
    Last edited by Forever Young; 05-05-2012 at 06:42 AM.

  5. #5
    Forever Young's Avatar
    Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    York Pa.
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    This is a good question, I'd like to know the answer as well. Additionally, is it "too much" to do a weight lifting session immediately followed by a sprint? Assuming it would all be done in under an hour, anyway... Is there a physiological reason not to do both on the same day?
    If you are doing either properly, you can't do the other. You'll be too wiped out to do justice to it and yes it would be way too much on the body systemically. I've experimented with doing only a few upper body exercises no leg work then going right to doing 4 sprints. It was brutal! I had to wait about 10 minutes before I could even think about driving.

    It is best to split those up though.

  6. #6
    teach2183's Avatar
    teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    1,057
    When I lift I go hard and will add in end exercises like lunges to completely fatigue the muscles. I like to do superset type lifting, pairing and upper and lower body exercise to switch between with the only rest being to change weights. I've looked at all sorts of programs but have settled into choosing from my favorites that target the whole body. What I did last weekend:
    Squats 5reps paired with pushups 10reps, 4 sets
    Clean and jerk 5reps paired with dumbbell bench on stability ball 10 reps, 4 sets
    Added in 24 walking lunges to finish off legs = will increase weights
    I think I finished in about 20 minutes. We have weights at home so as the kids get older I'll be able to lift more often, or once it's cold and we're inside more. But right now we like to be outside and the weights are too loud after the kids are in bed.

    Glad to see you think the soccer sprints are enough. Definitely hard work running end to end as a midfield type player!

  7. #7
    primalmontana's Avatar
    primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eastern Montana
    Posts
    246
    If you want to fit in more time to work out maybe you could do it before anyone wakes up in the morning? I get up at 4:30 to fit my workouts in.

    Do mostly heavy lifts that encourporate multiple muscle groups: clean and press, squat and press, weighted walking lunges, push-ups, planks, bench press, squats then add burners, mt.climbers, switch lunges. This is guaranteed to get your heart racing in about 30 min. You will be dead tired

  8. #8
    teach2183's Avatar
    teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmontana View Post
    If you want to fit in more time to work out maybe you could do it before anyone wakes up in the morning? I get up at 4:30 to fit my workouts in.
    That is very likely to raise my cortisol levels and wake up my children. I try to sleep 8hrs/night, so in bed by 9, asleep by 9:30 and my son often wakes at 5:30 to nurse and then snuggle but I don't fall back asleep.

  9. #9
    primalrob's Avatar
    primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    2,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    If you are doing either properly, you can't do the other. You'll be too wiped out to do justice to it and yes it would be way too much on the body systemically. I've experimented with doing only a few upper body exercises no leg work then going right to doing 4 sprints. It was brutal! I had to wait about 10 minutes before I could even think about driving.

    It is best to split those up though.
    +1, but i think you can do both in the same day...one in the morning, the other in the afternoon. i used to do burpee sets after a heavy lifting session, and couldn't do anything but lie on the ground and try not to throw up.

    @OP...i'm actually going to recommend that you use that time to sprint. you'll get a ton of muscle activation, a great cardio workout, and it's a shorter workout so you'll have more you time.
    but, i also think you should get some lifting in during the week. get your kids involved, and make a game out of it. throw one up on your shoulders and do some squats, carry them up hills, climb trees together (assuming their old enough), play tug-o-war, etc. this is an opportunity to get in some serious bonding time, firm up a bit, and, mostly, get your kids interested in an active lifestyle at a young age.

  10. #10
    teach2183's Avatar
    teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    1,057
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    @OP...i'm actually going to recommend that you use that time to sprint. you'll get a ton of muscle activation, a great cardio workout, and it's a shorter workout so you'll have more you time.
    but, i also think you should get some lifting in during the week. get your kids involved, and make a game out of it. throw one up on your shoulders and do some squats, carry them up hills, climb trees together (assuming their old enough), play tug-o-war, etc. this is an opportunity to get in some serious bonding time, firm up a bit, and, mostly, get your kids interested in an active lifestyle at a young age.
    I do some of that, but they're young and light - 25 and 32lbs. So I was thinking I should get in lifting heavier things. They do like to imitate our weight lifting already. It's just a matter of squeezing in time since DH gets home at 4 and we eat at 5:30. Going to try and get in some strength exercises this summer as a family. Maybe I'll switch off depending on whether the weather is conducive to sprinting.

    Would I be able to do lifting Saturday and sprinting Sunday? I'm thinking that might be too taxing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •