Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Low carb-ing for a year to loose 100 lb. page 3

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Yeah my herbalist told me I needed more protein too, but she could tell from looking at my finger nails. I do a scoop of protein in the morning and some sorta meat at night. Guess I need to add more in there.

The herbalist had told me to get the T3 / T4 tests done, and the T3 was a bit low, but my GP is a gastrointestinologist so is sending me to a endocrinologist for further tests to see if I have a thyroid condition. The GP felt, though, that I could have never lost the weight with a thyroid condition. I generally have to eat <900 cal a day to loose. The herbalist has me on seaweed for it. I&#39;m told that critter innards are good too, I just can&#39;t bring myself to eating organs. I came close to getting some blood sausages!

Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

I watched the interviews in the bonus materials of Fat Head (fun flick) yesterday, and also I&#39;ve been reading Taubes and Getgaudas. The gist I&#39;m getting is that you can&#39;t absorb protein properly unless you eat the fat with it, and also have good vitamin A status (which eating the fat of grassfed animals apparently helps out with.) One of them (sorry, I forget which one) said that eating lean protein leaches the vitamin A right out of your liver, because A is needed to absorb protein. Someone also said that people with low thyroid have trouble converting beta carotene to vitamin A, so they need to eat the preformed (animal source) vitamin A.

Can you manage the saturated fat okay? Or might you need enzymes? Can you have cod liver oil?

piano-doctor-lady: I have started to take cod liver oil and have added some fats to my diet. When I started the diet, I was still under the impression that I could never loose weight if I ate fats. So the diet was pretty low fat, I only ate really lean chicken or turkey. I&#39;ve started cooking my veggies in butter, eating grass fed beef 2-3 times a week and then wild caught fish the rest. I have to say, the added fats has been a bit rough on my digestion. I don&#39;t have a gallbladder ya know!

The good news is that 2 years after loosing a chunk of my pancreas to pseudo cysts, I&#39;m not diabetic. I think if I went back to eating SAD I&#39;d be dead in 5 years.

So this is me today, just 2 weeks doing the primal thing. Guess not that much difference from the last pic.

hutax is offline Member

Get your protein and fat up and start lifting. You&#39;ll start building muscle, but don&#39;t get in a hurry just let you body go at it&#39;s own pace. Keep the carbs at 100-150 grams per day for maintaining your weight. Congrats , you probably put several years onto your life.

Greg is offline Senior Member

Congratulations on your successful weight loss!

Eat right, exercise right & live right!

As mentioned, you probably added another 20 years to your life :-)

ZC - 100% Carnivore

I EAT VEGANS

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you&#39;re doing remarkably well, Kestrel, especially with the lack of a gall bladder. I think I read something today in "Primal Body, Primal Mind" saying that people without a gall bladder usually need to take enzymes to make up for it .... but hopefully you can manage it all, one way or another. If you do end up needing enzymes, no doubt you&#39;ll be able to figure out just what to take when, and matters should go a lot more easily for you.

I&#39;m impressed by your determination and capacity for working your plan.

I&#39;ll know that you&#39;re winning when your photos look less anxious, whatever shape you&#39;ve reached by then.

Even though I&#39;ve had very little progress on my goals (no aching in muscles, and fixed arthritis in knees, and a smaller front), once I got into Primal, I felt a difference within a few days. Even with the muscles still aching, underneath that I experienced a subtle, almost subliminal sense of bodily comfort, for the first time in a long while.

I hope you have the same feeling soon.

OK so you people say eat more fat, I got more fat. I got some rendered duck fat, butter and sausages! I cooked some greens in the duck fat and man were they tasty. Stomach is doing pretty good so far.

I saw the endocrinologist yesterday. He said that while my T3 was a bit low, he didn&#39;t think I had any thyroid issues. He was also a bit amazed with my bloodwork (see above) saying that he would have expected the (forget which one, ALB?) to be lower (malnourished) after having lost so much.

My weight was up a bit, 161, I had 3 glasses of wine sunday and that always seems to bloat me up. I&#39;m back down to 158 today, so I&#39;m thinking most of that is water retention.

I need to work on getting the last of the fat off me, but he said a good bit of it was loose skin and not a lot you can do about that short of surgery.

I did find out that they have a free YMCA on Treasure Island where I live so if I can get a gym buddy I think I&#39;d start going.

I went to see a Vascular Surgeon last week and discovered that I have and he diagnosed me with an abdominal hernia from where my gallbladder was taken out. He also said I could optionally get some loose belly skin taken off at the same time that I have left over from weight loss post surgery. I'm going to see the surgeon who removed my gallbladder and the tail of my pancreas to get her opinion. I'm sure she could fix the hernia, but I doubt she'd do the skin removal.

Perhaps I should start a new thread, but I wanted to see of other folks had issues with extra skin left after weight loss.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast