Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Low carb-ing for a year to loose 100 lb. page 2

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

It is an incredible accomplishment, but a scary one. In that last photo there is so little left of you. Might that in part be low insulin from your operation? Insulin is an anabolic steroid, after all, which brings more than just sugar into cells.

If you are going to refeed, I can't imagine a better plan than Primal for it. I hope you take your time and let your body feel its way. It has carried you so far, through such troubles. After eating so little for so long, it may take some time for your body to adjust, and set up the biochemistry to lay in some protein again. But in my opinion, you'll be far better off with some good reserves.

I hope you don't obsess over pounds on the scale, as you enter your next phase, or work yourself into a tailspin. Remember to take a lot of Vitamin D, so your immune system keeps going.

Please share your progress as you go forward.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Wow... such an inspirational story. Congratulations on your success! You should be extremely proud of yourself.

You'll be amazed at how you'll transform with some weights.

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I'm looking into gym options right now. My company has a deal going with Crunch for a $59/month membership. The main thing is I need to find a buddy to do it with, I think that will help keep me doing it regularly.

Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Suzan is offline Senior Member

Congrats, you are an inspiration.

Dollface is offline Member

Wow you look amazing, what a transformation! Definately up the fats

So this weekend I tried adding more fat to my diet, I got some italian bacon stuff and fried it with some radish sprouts. It kinda did a number on my system. Did I mention I have no gallbladder?

About 2 years ago, I had gallstones and they tried to remove via ERCP but failed, and in the process caused pancreatitis which later caused it to rupture into pancreatic pseudocysts. My gallbladder was removed as well as part of my pancreas which had liquified itself.

Without a gallbladder, there is a limit to how much fat I can eat without causing me digestion problems. I guess I'll have to work out how much I can handle.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Congratulations on your weight loss. You'll be amazed at the additional results you'll get now that you've gone primal.

I wanted to mention that I, too, have no gallbladder and that I went through a transition period when first going primal back in August '09. For a while I despaired that it wouldn't work for me, but over time my system evened out. Now, I can consume as much fat as I could possibly want -- pork bellies, butter on everything, coconut cream, etc. -- with no ill effects at all. During my transition time, it helped a lot if I popped a lecithin pill just before eating, but I no longer use them.

I went to see my doctor (GP) today and he was really impressed. He told me that he tells hundreds of patients they should loose weight, maybe 2 in 100 actually succeed. We discussed what I'd need to do to maintain and I told him I was wanting to do the paleo diet, which of course he'd never heard of. He said I should increase "whole grain carbs" a bit to maintain. But he did admit he had little experience with nutrition and referred me to a nutritionist. It's kinda amazing how little nutrition training MDs get considering what a profound effect on your health it makes. Anyway, he did a full blood workup, so hopefully I haven't done any damage to anything to loose the weight.

Got my bloodwork back, the Dr was 'pleased'. I asked him to run a T3 and T4 as well.

T4, Free 0.6

Total T3 52 ng/dL

Lipid Panel

Cholesterol 154 mg/dL

triglycerides 57 mg/dL

HDL cholesterol 42 mg/dL

LDL cholesterol 93 mg/dL

VLDL 11 mg/dL

TSH 3.28 UIU/mL

Comprehensive Metabolic

(non fasting)

NA+ 139 mmol/L

K+ 4.3 mmol/L

tCO2 27 mmol/L

CL- 103 mmol/L

GLU 82 mg/dL

CA 8.0 mg/dL

BUN 12 mg/dL

CRE 0.9 mg/dL

eGFR > 60 mL/min

ALP 71 U/L

ALT 23 U/L

AST 29 U/L

TBIL 0.6 mg/dL

ALB 3.9 g/dL

TP 6.9 g/dL

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Holy smokes! Somehow I overlooked this topic until now. 300 pounds to 160?! Kestrel, you are my hero!

Regarding going from fat to rail-thin, my experience was similar. Before I lost weight, I probably looked reasonably strong, but it was almost all fat. When the fat dropped off I was one skinny dude underneath. I guess it just takes a lot more time to build muscle than it does to burn fat, especially when you're restricting calories to get your weight down.

Once you bounce off your low weight, the novelty of adding good weight begins. Kestrel, you and I are going to get pumped up for serious!

I dig your bloodwork. That's a nice low trig level and healthy cholesterol profile. But from your BUN number, I speculate that you could do with more protein in your diet. And don't believe your doctor when he says you need carbs to maintain body comp; in my case, at least, it's all about the fatty meats. Work those kidneys!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast