Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't deadlift page 3

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I had the round back problem, until I realized, I needed to make sure my head was up...looking at the wall (or whatever) in front of me and not what I was trying to lift. Just a thought..

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Pics of your starting position, please. And I second the suggestion of rack pulls, lowering pins progressively. I can't imagine how you must be shaped that you can't get into DL position though, if you are young and fit - it's a pretty easy thing to do. Or is it that you can't LIFT the bar without rounding the back? In which case, start with lighter weights.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I can't imagine how you must be shaped that you can't get into DL position though, if you are young and fit - it's a pretty easy thing to do.
    Well for starters the distance from the top of my knee to the ground (barefoot) is about 23 inches. This is approximately the same distance between the lowest part of the deltoid muscle and my grip.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Well for starters the distance from the top of my knee to the ground (barefoot) is about 23 inches. This is approximately the same distance between the lowest part of the deltoid muscle and my grip.
    So your shin is about as long as your arm between the lower part of the shoulder and your hand? That seems like close to normal to me.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Oh I don't know, all I know is I can't reach the bar without rounding my back.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Oh I don't know, all I know is I can't reach the bar without rounding my back.
    Lower your hips and bend your knees more.

Bar over mid foot.

Bend over and grab the bar.

Lower your hips and straighten your back. Your shins should be almost against the bar, now drive your heels through the floor and drag the weight up your shins.

I have very poor hamstring flexibility, and I can still grab the bar without rounding my lower back.

Read the Starting Strength chapter on the lift again. It goes into great depth on how to properly execute the lift.
    Last edited by CE402; 05-06-2012 at 08:40 PM.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    bend your knees more, sit your butt down more? Are you using standard height plates? Without a pic it's hard to imagine what you're talking about.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Go to Starting Strength , read the video posts rules, video yourself and ask Rip what he thinks. He'll shoot you straight, trust me

You might want to make sure you read the Dead Lifting section of starting strength too...

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    and here I thought he was meaning for stiff legged dead lift. For regular dead lift, then yeah, bend knees more. You can still use pins, too, to bring the bar up.

billp is offline Senior Member

Deadlifts making by back sore

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am in the middle of taking a three week break from deadlifts, which I was doing once a week. The results have been fantastic - noticeable muscle gain, hard-edge to appetite all week, enjoying laziness again - but it is starting to really hurt my back. Two weeks ago I got frustrated about not being able to reach a personal best, and as I tried to get it off the ground I felt something bounce out in my lower back - not painful but surprising. Then I felt like I needed to sit up straight all week, and have a cushion / lumbar support on my chair, and I started to get uncomfortable standing around and had to lean over backwards or rub my lower back.

After a week I felt better, and back in the gym I was able to achieve my highest ever dead lift right off. No funny back movement this time. But this week I need to press my lower back against something hard even more, and I find when I am standing around I get more uncomfortable and need to lean over backwards to keep comfortable. So I skipped lifting yesterday and will skip too more weeks.

What am I doing wrong with my back? Is it normal while the back gains strength? I never used to need lumbar support and was quite happy to slouch. I've even had to change the car's preset seat positions, for the first time since I bought it (not that I drive very much). I am now sitting in my office chair with my shoulders back and my back straight, and the small of my back pushing hard against the lumbar support pad behind it - this chair, in fact, but with the adjustable bar set lower:

Could it be that I am doing nothing wrong and just that I have had poor posture for years, and that deadlifts are forcing me to get my posture right? Don't have any videos of me lifting but next time I go (after I am finished with the remaining two weeks of my three week rest) I will get someone to take on using my phone.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast