Thread: Did I do IF correctly? page

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member

Did I do IF correctly?

Someone on this forum suggested to me that I do IF to help me lose the last excess 10 pounds I am carrying around. I also read in the PB book that you should try to at least IF for 16 hours. So I tried it the first time today. I stopped eating at around 7pm last night, and did not eat until around 11:30am today. That was only about 14.5 hours fasting, I know, but I am new to fasting and will increase my fast lengths the more I do it. When I broke my fast at 11:30am today, here is what I had: 3 small chicken thighs, 2 chicken wings, 3 oz chicken breast with a little butter, and about 2 cups worth of sauteed onion/mushroom mixture. I plugged this into a calorie calculator and here is what I got: 834 calories, 25g carb, 42g fat, 85g protein. It is now 10:30pm where I am, and I am now just getting hungry after my big meal at 11:30 am this morning. So what I am eating now is a small can of tuna with olive oil(240 calories, 16g fat, 12g protein) I plan on this tuna being the last thing I eat today.

So....did I do IF right? My concern is that I broke my 14.5 hour fast with a little too much food..... Am I correct? I'll appreciate any advice from more knowledgeable people, as I really don't even know what I'm doing here! Thank you

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    There is no single way to do Intermittent Fasting. It sounds like you are trying to do more of a "Leangains" style IF, which is fine but note that it is geared more towards bodybuilders and those looking to bulk and lose fat simultaneously. If so then make note that he only recommends women do 14/10 and not 16/8.

The only way you'd break your fast with "too much" food is if it caused you to exceed your caloric needs for the day. There are some who practice "Warrior Diets" where their fast breaking meal may be all they eat for the entire day.

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you are trying to do more of a "Leangains" style IF, which is fine but note that it is geared more towards bodybuilders and those looking to bulk and lose fat simultaneously.
    I'm not trying to bulk up, just lose extra fat. Since the IF I did today was a leangains style, then what would be the style for just losing fat and not bulking up? Thank you for the advice! It's much appreciated

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Keep in mind that my generalization was just that, a generalization. Obviously if you aren't combining a Leangains approach with intense gym sessions then you won't magically bulk up

Probably the version that most folks new to IF, that I've worked with, thrive on is a once per week 24 hour fast (e.g. "EatStopEat"). There is nothing wrong with a daily 16/8 split but if you find that it doesn't fit your lifestyle well then keep the EatStopEat style IF in your back pocket.

More important than IF is your energy balance. Intake must not exceed energy expenditure when targeting fat loss.

Buffdv is offline Senior Member
    You are doing great! That sounds like some perfect IF to me. I love my 20 hour dinner to dinner fasts. Makes the day easy. Sometimes I eat a ton after a fast sometimes not. Just listen to your body.

mmsantos is offline Senior Member
    In my view the only way to 'correctly' do IF is in such a way that feels natural for you. The beauty of IF is that it comes spontaneously when you eat real food. For fat loss, I would suggest breaking the fast (however long you can last without getting hungry) with a big meal with lots of protein. That will keep you satisfied for a very long time, and is most likely in line with our evolution since if we were hungry we'd hunt and feast on the catch.

I wouldn't deliberately make yourself hungry to follow a protocol of 16/8 or 20/4 or whatever, because that will just increase cortisol in your body and not help you burn the fat, even if that means you have a day where you don't significantly IF. Not to mention that it's also very non-Primal to follow a schedule of eating hehe. Most importantly though, enjoy your food!

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    Keep in mind that my generalization was just that, a generalization. Obviously if you aren't combining a Leangains approach with intense gym sessions then you won't magically bulk up

Probably the version that most folks new to IF, that I've worked with, thrive on is a once per week 24 hour fast (e.g. "EatStopEat"). There is nothing wrong with a daily 16/8 split but if you find that it doesn't fit your lifestyle well then keep the EatStopEat style IF in your back pocket.

More important than IF is your energy balance. Intake must not exceed energy expenditure when targeting fat loss.
    This is very relevant, I decided to try a 24 hr fast this morning. I've had nothing since dinner last night so I will see how I go and just at a normal dinner. I normally have breakfast about 6-7am and then dinner about 6pm at night, with maybe a snack of a bit of butter at midday, so I'm sort of half way there anyway.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook