Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is measuring blood glucose a reflection of insulin levels? page

lvgrl90 is offline Member

Is measuring blood glucose a reflection of insulin levels?

So I know that insulin is a fat storing hormone which is why low carb is the best for weight loss. Does glucose and insulin spike simultaneously?
    I still get a glucose spike after a low carb meal. Last night for instance, I had veggies/ tomatoes; eggplant marinated w/olive oil; green olives; mahi mahi in a coconut sauce (smallish portion); and a little chicken stroganoff w/ cream sauce. My blood sugar was 136 after a couple hours. Now, maybe there was some hidden carbs in the sauce? Or is that a normal spike after any kind of meal? I checked my sugar at midnight again after the gym and a snack of yogurt (no sugar added obviously) and it was only 95.
    I guess my question is, if my blood sugar is 136 even after a low carb meal- is that too high? Am I automatically storing fat? And does that mean my sugar will go waay high if I eat a carby meal? Should I experiment? Any tips?thoughts? Personal experiences?

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    There are a lot of inaccuracies in your post and a lot of ideas that could potentially be worrisome...

Hint one: insulin is simply one of many hormones involved in the process of storing fat
    Hint two: insulin levels when ingesting PROs will often be comparable if not greater than when ingesting CHOs

Thanks for clarifying that.. So I should not worry then?

Those glucose levels are nothing to be concerned with. Although some folks are different, the majority of folks I've been around who get to the level of analysis that you are set themselves up for future burnout...

Thanks for those Krieger links, I haven't read those before.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    What you are experiencing is called digestion.

Of course you are storing fat. You just ate several hundered calories. The calories will be be stored until you need them like when you aren't eating. Now if your BS was chronically elevated then you got problems.

Also, you need insulin to "spike" after a meal or you will die. Protein will "spike" insulin without raising your BS. It's how amino acids enter the cells as well. Insulin is not the devil.

Thanks for the input guys. I was starting to obsess with carbs thinking that I was going to store fat and keep it there after eating too much fruit. I can relax a bit now. :-)

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    lvgrl90 - definitely you can relax a lot, especially as you are going to the gym, which will promote insulin sensitivity. Obsessing about carbs is liable to do you more harm than good as it will raise levels of stress hormones.

Forgotmylastusername - I've just read those Krieger links - they're excellent, thanks. Especially Part 3 which concurs with my personal experience that consuming a lot of dairy (at least 20% of total calorie intake) helps weight loss, and facilitates concurrent fat loss and muscle gain.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Metric is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast