Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calf Liver vs Cow Liver page

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member

Calf Liver vs Cow Liver

Shop Now
    Hey guys,

Is there much difference between cow liver and calf liver?

Is one more nutrient dense or recommended than the other?

Cheers,

Oz

billp is offline Senior Member
    I only eat beef liver, not veal liver. I don't think veal is as nutritious or as flavoursome.

Thanks Billy...

Sounds like beef liver it is then!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbuckley View Post
    Hey guys,

Is there much difference between cow liver and calf liver?

Is one more nutrient dense or recommended than the other?

Cheers,

Oz
    I don't know if there's any nutritional difference between the two, but I know either one is a huge vitamin-bomb that you should eat nearly as often as you can tolerate. If you're worried about vitamin A toxicity, you should definitely avoid polar bear liver.

Thanks Rich,

Yeh I used to eat it last year but was overseas for a few months and was going to order some and saw they had veal liver too.

From memory they recommend around 100g-150g grams of liver per week.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I have heard that calf liver is less....what would be the word....pungent? So the taste is a bit milder. If you don't like regular liver I'd give it a try. Or marinate your liver in some buttermilk for a few hours. Nutritionally I would figure them being pretty comparable.

primal-dan is offline Member
    Grass fed beef liver++

This is a timely thread. It reminded me I have 6 lbs of beef liver and 3 lbs of kerrygold waiting to be turned into patte.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Calf liver is the first I've tried that I actually can eat. Beef, chicken, and sheep liver are TOO strong for me.

I'd hate to find out calf liver isn't as nutritious. Has anyone found any nutritional info?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know of any nutritional differences between them, but if you are not buying from 100% grass fed animals, def. go for the calf liver. Calves are more likely to be raised on grass and have less time to accumulate "bad stuff" (scientific, i know)
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
    I don't know of any nutritional differences between them, but if you are not buying from 100% grass fed animals, def. go for the calf liver. Calves are more likely to be raised on grass and have less time to accumulate "bad stuff" (scientific, i know)
    I agree with this, but want to point out for those who don't already know it that the liver isn't a mechanical filter (e.g. doesn't suck up and store toxins), but a chemical one. Someone with a better background in biochem might be kind enough to elaborate on the actual mechanism if there's any confusion about this, but fear of eating liver because of accumulated "bad stuff" is unfounded. Liver is nature's multivitamin, and whether you prefer beef, baby beef, lamb, fish, or chicken, you should be eating it regularly.

My favorite way to eat liver lately is US Wellness Meats Liverwurst. It's totally not liverey tasting (although it's 30% liver, 30% beef trim, 20% kidney, 20% heart) and is delicious with a slice of Swiss cheese and a Bubbies pickle. Also popular with mustard. Sometimes you can search the web for coupon codes and get 15% off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast